Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Alliance BJJ Venice FL

RFI: Alliance BJJ Venice FL

I used Cecil's sticky on how to pick a BJJ gym and located this facility, Alliance BJJ, in Venice, FL:

https://alliancevenice.com/home

Thoughts?

We're moving from Tampa to just outside of Venice next spring. I plan to continue to get fit on my current gym program, and probably get a vaccine for COVID when they are available.

I'll be 62 next year. I don't have a strong martial arts background, but am very interested in BJJ. I dabbled in Judo and Karate in my teens.

My goal is to be more resistant to injury as I get older, lose weight, instill confidence and be a harder target. I EDC because I'm not going to be a victim, but I want "me" to be as good or better than I can be, physically, and have decided that I want to try BJJ. Eventually I'd like to take ECQC, so this is the path I'm on.

Don’t know that school, but I go to an Alliance gym in CLT... I like the way they structure things, and I’m pretty sure everyone I’ve met or trained with who was wearing an Alliance gi has been friendly and encouraging. And some have been straight up killers...

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I used Cecil's sticky on how to pick a BJJ gym and located this facility, Alliance BJJ, in Venice, FL:

https://alliancevenice.com/home

Thoughts?

We're moving from Tampa to just outside of Venice next spring. I plan to continue to get fit on my current gym program, and probably get a vaccine for COVID when they are available.

I'll be 62 next year. I don't have a strong martial arts background, but am very interested in BJJ. I dabbled in Judo and Karate in my teens.

My goal is to be more resistant to injury as I get older, lose weight, instill confidence and be a harder target. I EDC because I'm not going to be a victim, but I want "me" to be as good or better than I can be, physically, and have decided that I want to try BJJ. Eventually I'd like to take ECQC, so this is the path I'm on.
    I’m no expert in choosing a school, but I think the fact that they have a fundamentals class that does not include sparring is a good thing for older people trying to learn the body control and movement fluidity that bjj requires but adult life doesn’t prepare us for.

Honestly I think having a conversation with the instructors will give you the best idea whether they are the patient type of place older people can train. Good luck!

Site Supporter
    Alliance is a well respected lineage. I'll echo what was mentioned above that it's good they have a fundamentals class. I'd have a chat with the instructor and talk to him about what it is you're looking for in BJJ.

Otherwise, have fun!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

The wife and 2/3 of the kiddos are attending an Alliance gym here in Iowa. Good people.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Alliance is a top BJJ team, no question about it. I'd say check out a trial class and if you get on with the instructors / other students, you should be totally good to go.

I recently got into Jiu Jitsu and in the course of my search for a gym discovered a local Alliance gym that happens to be run by one of the founders of the system; Alexandre 'Gigi" Paiva. I have very positive things to say about the school, instruction, and the quality and attitudes of the other students. Obviously the level of instruction may vary at other gyms, but I highly recommend it from a one stripe white belt's perspective.
    TY83544

Alliance is legit and solid.

Honestly the most important thing other then finding a great instructor from a good lineage is the vibe and attitude of the academy. Only you can gauge that.

Just be honest with yourself and relay that to the instructor. Most places will let you try it out for a period to see if it fits. Try a few places. Don’t over think it. If the vibe is good and you like it as a whole, jump in and start.

Enjoy the journey and have fun!

So... Did you start?

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    So... Did you start?
    We gotta move first.

>= May.

User Tag List