Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Picking up a new to me P228

Picking up a new to me P228

I'm looking forward to having one again. I've stupidly let two go over the years... Now I'm at the point where I want to have one each of the "ones that got away". The 228 is one of the last ones.

It has a blue box and I think a CPO. Matching serial numbers on frame and barrel only, factory night sights, at least 7 mags (most factory 13 rounders), and 3 holsters.

Buying it from a co-worker who's had it for at least ten years, and he's put less than 300 rounds through it. Can't wait to put an SRT in it!

Congrats on a solid choice. If memory serves me, the Vermont State Police had the P228 as their general issue pistol in the early 90’s. I don’t know what they carry today. I departed that state a long, long time ago.

Site Supporter

and

Excellent choice as you certainly know. While I prefer the 226 due to my hand size, the 228 is an excellent pistol. As you also likely know, the 228 was issue to USSS, FAMS, Navy SWCC, and I believe the Delaware State Police. I have one in th gun locker behind me (hard chromed, no less).

Site Supporter
    I let one go a long time ago. It was from their 1st production year and had a trigger smoothed over by one of Sig's very experienced armorers. I've often wished for a do-over on that sale. But...I recently traded into a NIB version from the same year. I think I'll hang on to this one.
    Last edited by Jason M; 12-22-2020 at 06:32 AM.

I went through the academy with a 228 and carried it for the first 6 or 7 years of my career. They’re great pistols and the only reason I switched was to carry its big brother. In fact I’d still be carrying a 226 on duty today if not for being forced, kicking and screaming, into the modern striker fired world earlier this year. A P-series pistol IS still my daily off duty choice.

I bought a beat up one at the local pawn shop a few years ago. I always liked those P228SN (satin nickel), but they command huge bucks now. A buddy of mine carried a P228TT (tu-tone satin nickel slide, controls) while with Dallas PD's Metro Squad before he retired. I loved that gun. I found out that Klein Plating, who did the nickeling for SIG back in the day, doesnt offer the service, so I might send it to APW.

Used P228 I picked up several years ago with a Gun Kote finish from CCR. Looks darker in person.

Name:  P228.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  39.9 KB

Sounds like a nice acquisition.

Not familiar with P-228. What's the difference between P-228 and P-226? I don't think I've ever seen a P-228 but I had a P-229 that I sold. I've shot my neighbors P-226's which I like for full size 9 mm. I think I have some 13 rd 228/229 magazines buried in my safe someplace. Of course once I get interested in something everyone else wants one also so I'm always late to the party.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Sounds like a nice acquisition.

Not familiar with P-228. What's the difference between P-228 and P-226? I don't think I've ever seen a P-228 but I had a P-229 that I sold.
    The P228 and P229 are the same size. The P228 is the older folded slide version.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I was into the P228 as my primary "full size gun" meaning not a J frame in my case from about '87 to '99 then wandered into Glock land. Sold those long ago but want to find one as well as sort of reclaiming history. Congrats on finding a nice one with a low round count.

User Tag List