Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Gov't cameras hidden on private property because of the Open Fields doctrine

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    We almost lost one. Guy sold his car to a scrapyard after he was successful enough as a robber/carjacker to upgrade. When it didn't move for awhile someone pulled up the location, noticed it was a scrapyard, and went to get it. Office lore is the workers told him the car was about 15 minutes away from going in the crusher.
    About 10 years ago, we had a bad guy sell their car...with our tracker on it. Had to get Highway Patrol to do a traffic stop about 4 hours away while the new owner was headed back home.

Also had a mechanic find a tracker when the bad guy had his car in the shop. This was back when a good tracker was $10,000--not $300 like they are today. So it was a little stressful.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Don’t ever lie to the feds. You can ask Martha Stewart why that’s a bad idea.
    She just did it when the wrong president was in office.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

If you want to hear it from the attorneys on the case in the video

”​Decades ago, the U.S. Supreme Court created the so-called Open Fields Doctrine. The result was an exception to 4th Amendment restrictions on the government’s ability to snoop on Americans. With a new case in Tennessee, IJ is pushing forward a strategy to restore those limits and protect basic property rights. Learn more about the state of the law—and where we go from here—in today’s episode.”

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Having law enforcement covert cameras, GPS trackers, etc. found and destroyed/damaged is definitely not unheard of.

My favorite example is when a sheriff’s office had a bad guy find the GPS tracker on his vehicle. He took it off, shot it with a shotgun, burned it, and mailed it back to the sheriff’s office. When the sheriff’s office called wanting to borrow my tracker, I politely declined.
    The county where I used to work put GPS trackers on the public works vehicles that roamed the county. It was a big county. All those vehicles were assigned to individuals exclusively. I was never told by my supervisor that the trackers were installed. I got suspicious when he showed up one day unannounced while we were eating lunch. Without a tracker there was absolutely no way he could have found us because we were on a forest service road deep in the woods. I asked a friend about it who worked in the garage and he told me when they installed those. In passing conversation one day I thanked my supervisor for telling me that he had a GPS tracker installed on my vehicle. He was a short little guy with beady eyes and tiny little hands who couldn't look you in the eye when talking to you.
    Last edited by Borderland; 12-23-2020 at 07:56 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    The county where I used to work put GPS trackers on the public works vehicles that roamed the county. It was a big county. All those vehicles were assigned to individuals exclusively. I was never told by my supervisor that the trackers were installed. I got suspicious when he showed up one day unannounced while we were eating lunch. Without a tracker there was absolutely no way he could have found us because we were on a forest service road deep in the woods. I asked a friend about it who worked in the garage and he told me when they installed those. In passing conversation one day I thanked my supervisor for telling me that he had a GPS tracker installed on my vehicle. He was a short little guy with beady eyes and tiny little hands who couldn't look you in the eye when talking to you.
    I don't see the problem. Many of my customers have GPS installed on their company vehicles. Why shouldn't they? And why do they owe it to their employees to tell them? I'm a firm believer in giving a man enough rope and letting him prove himself.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    I don't see the problem. Many of my customers have GPS installed on their company vehicles. Why shouldn't they? And why do they owe it to their employees to tell them? I'm a firm believer in giving a man enough rope and letting him prove himself.

I'm the opposite.

If someone gives me a reason to distrust them, then I will. I don't normally distrust a person until they give me a reason. As an employer you don't want people working for you that you can't trust and I don't want to work for anyone that doesn't trust me. Management/employee relations deteriorated pretty fast once management decided that none of the employees could be trusted. I left a short time after that.

And you're right. They didn't owe me that but trust is a two way street. If you don't trust me and you demonstrate that, why should I trust you?
    Last edited by Borderland; 12-23-2020 at 10:38 PM.

Site Supporter
    I'm the opposite. If someone gives me a reason to distrust them, then I will. I don't normally distrust a person until they give me a reason. There were people I worked with who weren't where they were supposed to be when they were supposed to be there but I was never one of them. As an employer you don't want people working for you that you can't trust and I don't want to work for anyone that doesn't trust me. Management/employee relations deteriorated pretty fast once management decided that none of the employees could be trusted. I left a short time after that.

And you're right. They didn't owe me that but trust is a two way street.
    Getting into the weeds with this, but I've always heard trust described as something that is built. That implies that it isn't something that's assumed, nor is it something that's pre-existing. I wasn't raised to believe that man is inherently good, nor has that been my experience personally or as a leader of men. For every truly good man, there are several who take advantage of the system in any way they can. Only the brain-dead ones do it when they think anybody else is looking. Hence the saying, "Trust, but verify." And if you don't 'spy' on everyone equally, you're setting yourself up for a lawsuit. Hence GPS in EVERY vehicle, not just the suspect ones. Hence cameras EVERYWHERE, not just on one suspected thief's work area.

In the line of work that I'm in, I only expect a couple of things from someone who's paying me. I expect to be paid in a timely fashion. And I don't expect to be forced into a life-threatening situation. (If I choose to go into one, that's on me.) Everything else is fluff. Some places I go, I'm on camera the entire time I'm there. Others I'll be randomly snuck up on to see if I'm working. (And if you've seen some of my competition, you'd understand why.) Still others I never see a soul from beginning to end of the job. Everybody's different.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    Getting into the weeds with this, but I've always heard trust described as something that is built. That implies that it isn't something that's assumed, nor is it something that's pre-existing. I wasn't raised to believe that man is inherently good, nor has that been my experience personally or as a leader of men. For every truly good man, there are several who take advantage of the system in any way they can. Only the brain-dead ones do it when they think anybody else is looking. Hence the saying, "Trust, but verify." And if you don't 'spy' on everyone equally, you're setting yourself up for a lawsuit. Hence GPS in EVERY vehicle, not just the suspect ones. Hence cameras EVERYWHERE, not just on one suspected thief's work area.

In the line of work that I'm in, I only expect a couple of things from someone who's paying me. I expect to be paid in a timely fashion. And I don't expect to be forced into a life-threatening situation. (If I choose to go into one, that's on me.) Everything else is fluff. Some places I go, I'm on camera the entire time I'm there. Others I'll be randomly snuck up on to see if I'm working. (And if you've seen some of my competition, you'd understand why.) Still others I never see a soul from beginning to end of the job. Everybody's different.
    Do you have a lot of employees?

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'd issue you a stack of PF bucks* if you hung a set of those "truck nuts" in front of the lens.

*PF bucks are largely (and by largely I mean completely) imaginary, have no cash value, but are redeemable for "cool guy points" at a 7:1 ratio.
    Why not just give out a "no-prize?"

It could be a monthly thing. Maybe it would balance out all those COTM threads. 😇

Truck nuts in front of the camera at least deserves it's own thread.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    Do you have a lot of employees?
    Do you need me to prove something to you?

I was foreman of a crane company / fab shop for a couple of years. Did the hiring and the firing for the owner, who was largely absentee. Got a purchased and run-down rock quarry up and running for a company I ran mobile crushers for; was in charge of hiring and firing there as well. The same company owned a set of rebar plants in my state. I was in charge of the work crews we sent to rebuild new plants, sometimes in state and sometimes out.

Good employees, professionals, are very hard to find in the fields I've worked in. That's why I went in business for myself *and* why I swore never to have any employees. Just last week one of my customers was threatened by another contractor's helper when he ratted him out to his boss. The helper had been smoking weed in my customer's parking lot. Customer called me up asking my advice on what to do about getting a death threat from this dude.

Ultimately I'm just a guy on the internet with a different opinion than you, but I have my reasons. End of drift.

User Tag List