Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi-Tek Coated Bullets

This thread popping up again made me actually take a look at what they have available, and while it's not bad, their pricing is not particularly special, either. Their 124 grain round nose 9mm is ~0.8 cents/bullet more than I paid on Black Friday last year for Blue Bullets 125 grain truncated cone, so I'm unlikely to switch. Blue Bullets seem to run the same sale just about every year on Black Friday, so I just stock up then (2020 excepted, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    This thread popping up again made me actually take a look at what they have available, and while it's not bad, their pricing is not particularly special, either. Their 124 grain round nose 9mm is ~0.8 cents/bullet more than I paid on Black Friday last year for Blue Bullets 125 grain truncated cone, so I'm unlikely to switch. Blue Bullets seem to run the same sale just about every year on Black Friday, so I just stock up then (2020 excepted, of course).
    I certainly took advantage of the 2019 Black Friday specials as I'm certain many here did. But looking at current availability and pricing, and the potential for restrictions as we see what unfolds with the incoming administration, I think these bullets look like a viable alternative.
    I calculate these loads at around $130.00/1000 based on the price I paid for the components. Certainly that'd be more at today's pricing for powder and primers.

I've recently purchased a few thousand, several actually, from RMR (Rocky Mountain Reload) and have been very pleased with them. But I like having options

Blue Bullets have a solid rep,their pricing looks good,so I guess I may need to look that way as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I've recently purchased a few thousand, several actually, from RMR (Rocky Mountain Reload) and have been very pleased with them. But I like having options

Blue Bullets have a solid rep,their pricing looks good,so I guess I may need to look that way as well.
    I agree that it's always nice to have more options. In the event that Blues become unavailable at some point, or that their pricing changes in a way I don't like, I'll definitely consider Hoosier.

I received my 124 gr RN Hi-Tek coated bullets from Hoosier's a few days ago. Thanks again for the head's up @TRSmith.

This is my first experience with this type of coating.They look great. I'll load a few today and hope to hit the local range tomorrow and try them out.

This is my first experience with this type of coating.They look great. I'll load a few today and hope to hit the local range tomorrow and try them out.
    Please let us know how they work out for you. Load data and guns used would be nice as well, just to get the full picture.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Please let us know how they work out for you. Load data and guns used would be nice as well, just to get the full picture.
    Absolutely.

My initial loads will be:

5.0 grs Unique and 5.4 grs Unique (That's what's in the hopper on my 550 right now).

Winchester Small Pistol Primers

OAL 1.160"

I don't have access to an outdoor range this weekend to set up my chrono though.

Gun will be my well worn Glock 19 and S&W Shield, offhand. Planned ranges are 3-15 yards.

My skills are weak compared to many here, but I should have a relative idea of their accuracy and certainly should be able to determine functionality.

Here's the update on the Hi-Tek 125 gr RN 9mm.

Both loads functioned with no issues in my 9mm Shield and my G19.

The Shield seemed to prefer the 5.0 gr load. I may try some at 5.2 grs just to see how I like them.

Unique at 5.4 grs using a 124 gr PC or plated bullet historically has given me 1125-1150 fps iirc.

No smoke and no mes other than what Unique always leaves. But I find it minimal. Perhaps after 35 years or so of using Unique I just find it normal.

I'll try and attach a couple of pics.

Please ignore the notes about RMR and Everglades...previous range notes.
    This is my 1st 2 shots at 15 yards...of course the group opened significantly because...I need to pay better attention to basics...
    Attachment 65617

G 19 at 15 yards. Shooting around 1 round every 1-2 seconds. I would need my RMR 17 to be able to hit any further out. These ole eyes struggle...
    Attachment 65619

S&W Shield at 5 yards
    Attachment 65618

I have a thousand of the 147 gr Hi-Teks coming. I've had great luck with 147 gr rounds using AmSel in the past.

Most of my handloading will be with Unique as that's what I have the most of on hand. I do have some TiteGroup, W-231, AA# 2 and AA#5 around, but not in the amounts I have Unique.

Thanks again for the head's up on these bullets and Hoosiers @TRSmith and @Tennessee Jed

Angry

100% great point.

A couple of friends and I cast, powder coated, and loaded/shot around 30k of bullets we made a few years back. Very clean and minimal smoke across several powders. Things kinda fell apart on our efforts the past few years... life in general, family obligations, and now COVID.

At this price point, coupled with actually being available, I am really looking forward to trying these out.

I just received notification they have some 147's available. Might just have to try some of those as well.
    Jamie, I just saw your Hi-Tek range pictures...any tips for a rookie who can barely hit the paper at 10 yards? I shoot great at home with a laser bullet, but marksmanship eludes me under battle conditions. Glad to hear you're getting some success with the Hoosier Hi-Teks...I will be trying my 38 coated 158s this week, and I still probably won't hit anything! (Ha)

Looks like pretty good results. Last time I was loading 124 gr bullets with Unique was quite a few years ago with Montana Gold JHPs, and I was only using 4.7 grains of Unique, so 5.4 sounds a bit warm to me with a 124 grain bullet, but I was also targeting 1040-1050 FPS / ~130 PF for USPSA Minor, and that load's OAL was 1.075", so not directly comparable for several reasons.

As far as Unique's relative dirtiness goes, I used to use it exclusively, and I didn't think it was too bad then, but then I tried VV N320, and N320 is just a whole other world. I went from cleaning after every or every other range trip/match to cleaning more like every 1500-2500 rounds. Part of that was a a realization that it just wasn't important to have the gun be spotless, but it's also that Unique *is* significantly dirtier than N320.

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    Jamie, I just saw your Hi-Tek range pictures...any tips for a rookie who can barely hit the paper at 10 yards? I shoot great at home with a laser bullet, but marksmanship eludes me under battle conditions. Glad to hear you're getting some success with the Hoosier Hi-Teks...I will be trying my 38 coated 158s this week, and I still probably won't hit anything! (Ha)
    LOL. Thank you for the kind words and thoughts. But learning to improve my shooting is why I'm here on P-F! There are many, many folks much better qualified than I am to offer suggestions. I'm just a struggling old guy

I've spent the majority of the past 12-13 months shooting my LCR's and 686. I just gathered all of the equipment needed to start casting 158 gr .38/.357, but I'm tempted to try some of the Hoosier Hi-Tek's .

Thank you again.
    Jamie

User Tag List