Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Targets

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Let's not forget that some of our vertically challenged members may need to adjust POA to actually hit the intended area on a 3D target. If I were to aim between the eyes, the path of the bullet would be, well, less than ideal. I may have to target the chin in oder to get the desired angle. Just an observation.

Excellent point!

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    The heart is just a big muscle and can close up around holes punched in it. Maybe not perfectly, but I want the guy to bleed out, not die from the effects of cardiac tamponade. If you clip the vessels above the heart, they won't self-seal and there is no sac to contain the blood - just void to fill up. IIRC, the Memphis record holder for gun shot wounds to the heart with survival is six rounds.
    Big game hunters know that heart shots results can vary based upon the phase the heart is in when impacted, systole phase (contracted and emptied) results in less damage as a high velocity projectile passes through. Diastole phase when relaxed and full of blood results in obliteration.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Absolutely nothing is going to immediately happen if the red pelvic zone is hit on the linked target above: https://www.amazon.com/B27-IMZ-Human..._sim_sbs_200_1
    I never quite understood the rational of those who teach or recommend targeting the hip area. One needs only look in their basement and the structural beams that the plumber or electrician has hogged out to pass their pipes and wires through. Ventilating the Ilium with handgun rounds will not cause structural failure.

[QUOTE=DocGKR;456450]Absolutely nothing is going to immediately happen if the red pelvic zone is hit on the linked target above: https://www.amazon.com/B27-IMZ-Human..._sim_sbs_200_1[/QUOTE

Yeah, I do not agree with all the so called hit zones. But I like the head box and the fact that you can see the skeleton. I never understood some of the pelvic zone hit targets. I guess it is the same reason some targets have a general hit zone in the middle.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I never quite understood the rational of those who teach or recommend targeting the hip area. One needs only look in their basement and the structural beams that the plumber or electrician has hogged out to pass their pipes and wires through. Ventilating the Ilium with handgun rounds will not cause structural failure.

Please don't take this as an argument, but there is one documented case from Baton Rouge in 1977, where a bg, after absorbing, IIRC: NINE .38+p's (6 center mass), was finally stopped by a hip shot.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    Please don't take this as an argument, but there is one documented case from Baton Rouge in 1977, where a bg, after absorbing, IIRC: NINE .38+p's (6 center mass), was finally stopped by a hip shot.
    I'm not going to dispute it is possible but one documented case in 1977 is along the lines of the blind squirrel finding a nut every now and then. Plus just because someone is down does not mean they are out of the fight or no longer a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    But I like the head box and the fact that you can see the skeleton.
    I could care less about seeing the skeleton. I want the same landmarks I'd see if I were shooting a real threat - the relationship between eyes/nose/mouth and where the bullet needs to go. I really like the head of this one:
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

I could care less about seeing the skeleton. I want the same landmarks I'd see if I were shooting a real threat - the relationship between eyes/nose/mouth and where the bullet needs to go.
    This is a good point. I recall seeing a target for hunters in which the deer's anatomy was printed on the reverse of the target. Perhaps something like that? Would double-sided printing make it too expensive?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    This is a good point. I recall seeing a target for hunters in which the deer's anatomy was printed on the reverse of the target. Perhaps something like that? Would double-sided printing make it too expensive?
    While a nice thought, you're trying to replicate a 3-d problem on what is effectively a 2-d format. It will only work directly from the front. I have started to do this with them and it works out nicely:

Dave Spaulding had LE Targets make some inserts for the TacMan Target that work well if you score the back of them. This just isn't a cheap solution since you have to buy the Tac-Man's at $36 and pay for their shipping.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

While a nice thought, you're trying to replicate a 3-d problem on what is effectively a 2-d format. It will only work directly from the front.
    Also a good point, which I had failed to consider. Too bad we can't market what they used on Mythbusters and Forged In Fire, ballsitics gel dummies with skeletons. Cool for TV, too expensive by far for the range.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List