Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Targets

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    a nice small chest box

Um... yeah.

Dang Jay, you are always one step ahead...

IMHO, can't over look the 3-D aspect of a target. New hunters are always surprised at how experienced hunters visualize the preferred impact and exit points.

As an officer in a federal agency I am required by policy to use the FBI "Q" target with no additional scoring lines. A cream soda bottle on a light gray background with a light gray "Q" in the solor plexus area.

Areas marked on the target where an officer's hits would be more effective are prohibited for qualification.

When training officers, the requirement is a minimum of 80% with 40 out of 50 rounds striking somewhere on the target.

When scoring I am required to stop counting holes when I reach 40 hits.

Hits on the line do "NOT" count.

Pass or Fail are the only options for recording scores.

Liability exposure is the reason I was informed I had to instruct to these training standards.

Your tax dollars at work.

Edit in the link to a sample of the target we use:

http://midwaytradingpost.com/index.p...3a47da2b5724ff
    Last edited by FotoTomas; 06-30-2012 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FotoTomas View Post
    As an officer in a federal agency I am required by policy to use the FBI "Q" target with no additional scoring lines. A cream soda bottle on a light gray background with a light gray "Q" in the solor plexus area.
    Interesting. My agency specifies a Transtar but doesn't expressly forbid extra scoring rings. I bought the transtars with the anatomy lightly drawn on them so you can see what you're tearing up.

Much to my surprise and delight, the upcoming version of our LE policy will limit the number of failures and remediations you can have in your career. I don't know the exact number yet, but the days of failing and reshooting every time may be drawing to an end.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Interesting. My agency specifies a Transtar but doesn't expressly forbid extra scoring rings. I bought the transtars with the anatomy lightly drawn on them so you can see what you're tearing up.

Much to my surprise and delight, the upcoming version of our LE policy will limit the number of failures and remediations you can have in your career. I don't know the exact number yet, but the days of failing and reshooting every time may be drawing to an end.
    Same with us. No official policy on number of failures or retraining guidelines. Waiting on a policy change with limits to make its way through Justice and all the other hoops. The bonus side is the standards are so lax that we have very few problems with getting officers qualified. The sad point is some of them still need a warm up 50 rounds to get to 80% on the first qual and sometimes a second or third round of qualifying.

I worry about how well they will shoot for those first rounds in a firefight. All of our additional training is supposed to use the "Q" for moving, close combat, shooting from retention, Ground Defense shooting and such. They are not scored, mearly used as aiming points.

Unfortunately, the Texas CHL qual went from a slightly sub par target

To the extremely crappy B-27.

All in the name of uniformity with DPS qualifications.
    I make sure to discuss practicing on photo targets and upper chest zones during the class.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

I like Todd's PT.com target, seems to match what Doc posted up above, while also being able to be used for games. Ideally for me, for true tactical stuff, I go for the ones that have no scoring lines on the front, and vital organs etc on the back.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

We are required by the state to use the IALEFI-Q target, but we use this version;
    http://www.letargets.com/estylez_ite...item=IALEFI-QR
    that has Manny Kapelson with a gun.

This version gives the officers a bad guy with a gun to shoot at instead of a blobby milk bottle, and we can use the target for tactical anatomy type shooting as well.
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 06-09-2016 at 03:03 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    I like Todd's PT.com target, seems to match what Doc posted up above, while also being able to be used for games. Ideally for me, for true tactical stuff, I go for the ones that have no scoring lines on the front, and vital organs etc on the back.
    Where are you guy's getting the targets? On the link to the store they only have shirts and hats.

Nevermind, a little google did the trick.

Yeah National Target needs a serious website revamp its hard to find anything on it.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

User Tag List