Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Targets

Targets

I am frustrated at all the poor targets I am seeing in use by LE agencies for training and quals.

Anatomically, it is not too hard; if you want immediate incapacitation, then the CNS is the only reasonable target:

For delayed incapacitation, then high thoracic targeting of the heart and large vessels is the best option:

The target below is STUPID to train with, as the "X" is in the wrong spot--it needs to be closer to where the upper "8" is at. Why would any trainer use that target? It is just going to reinforce shooting the WRONG anatomic location for rapid threat incapacitation. An LE agency using that defective target to train/qualify officers is setting itself up for liability issues...

It is easy to train correctly--to start, use targets that reinforce proper hit zones, for example, below is a FAR better option to practice getting shots to the proper incapacitation points:

3x5" cards and 6" paper plates make great cheap targets for CNS and COM targeting, respectively...

Here is a target I use a lot that is reasonably accurate on what you need to hit and cheap to make: http://www.tridentconcepts.org/alumn...2753243671.pdf, just print it out on legal size paper and you are good to go.

Great points. I've trained with the following targets (click image for purchase link):

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I'm comfortable sitting on the couch in my boxers fiddling with my balls, but I don't fight like that.

Ah yes. The Murphy Bruce Willis target
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    ...if you want immediate incapacitation, then the CNS is the only reasonable target...
    I’d like to ask you a tangential question on CNS shots.

So, I recognize that the reasons to hit (on a frontal shot) the ocular-nasal cavities are multiple:

Generally underpowered pistol projectiles pass through less dense tissue and cavities to have minimum resistance in directly striking the brain.

Chances are minimized of the bullet being deflected off the curved surface of the skull or edges of the facial bones without getting inside and directly striking the brain.

Chances are maximized of the brainstem being struck directly by the pistol bullet since it is in line with the ocular-nasal cavities, and directly striking the brainstem is likely to lead to total and immediate cessation of dangerous behavior.

What about a shot that goes high, say the forehead area, and is no longer in line with the brainstem, but does not deflect and does in fact penetrate the skull and strike the brain directly?

What differences, if any, would you expect in behavioral response of the person shot there?

Or is the reason to aim for the ocular-nasal cavities solely related to minimizing chances of deflection off the curved skull and outer parts of the facial bones?

And please correct me if anything above is wrong; I know you will!

Doc - given the picture of the vascular system, wouldn't the proper shot on the target below that be the upper numeral 9? It looks to be in the same line as the heart on the vascular drawing (between the armpits).
    Mike

Thanks Doc. That is the best I've seen. Sharing it with some public sector guys still just starting out.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Let's not forget that some of our vertically challenged members may need to adjust POA to actually hit the intended area on a 3D target. If I were to aim between the eyes, the path of the bullet would be, well, less than ideal. I may have to target the chin in oder to get the desired angle. Just an observation.
    Taking a break from social media.

"...given the picture of the vascular system, wouldn't the proper shot on the target below that be the upper numeral 9"
    The preferred mid-line torso incapacitation area is about from the sternal notch to the armpit; as long as you place your target zone in that area, I am not going to quibble too much if it is up or down an inch or two either way--just keep it off the stomach...

Thanks for the reply...and agreed on the 'keep it off the stomach'.
    Mike

I was able to look at the targets from targetsonline.com. Their claim to fame is that their targets are printed on card stock and weather resistant. Their prices on color targets is very good as well. They do a lot of targets with a nice small chest box and a reasonable head zone.

This is a good example that shows how much worthless stuff is counted on the FBI Q target.

User Tag List