Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holy crap (slipjoint content)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    @blues,

Who makes a good smaller knife these days? Something like a Case Peanut or some flavor of pen knife, but in carbon steel (1095 for example) and natural materials? I'm looking for something that will disappear in the pocket of a suit or slacks (the Cannitler can be a bit heavy in lighter clothing) and not be out of place in a less permissive environment (the Cannitler got some wide-eyed stares in the UK once).

Case seems a natural choice, but the last one I had suffered from blade wobble and weak "walk and talk". I also can't stand stainless in a traditional knife.

Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    @mtnbkr

Chris,

It's been some years since I last bought a (small) traditional production knife...so my best recommendation other than listening to our members here would be to inquire in the Traditional Forum which I used to moderate with GusK up until some years back. The guys and gals there will be able to give you examples of the breed you're looking for.

My smaller production pieces are generally Case with a smattering of the other well known makers. The one peanut I own was a gift from a member there and has a damascus blade and stag covers.

Take a look at the Case 32087 pattern, a great little knife, light in weight with useful sized CV blades. It's one of the small knives I've always liked. As to the quality of today's Case knives, the guys on the Traditional Forum will be your best barometer. You'll have to check if it is offered with natural covers, but I've always liked the yellow delrin for some reason.

32087 CV
    Clip and Pen Blades
    3 3/8" closed; 1.8 oz.
    Made in USA

Here's a poor image of the peanut...produced in 1989:

Attachment 64998
    I really like my CV 32087. Much more so than the Peanut, in my larger sized hands. The Pen is longer enough in the handle to have a significant advantage in leverage for use, and the handle being a thin rectangle in cross-section instead of almost round as with the Peanut means that I don't get a potentially unpredictably rolling sharp object in my hand when it protests being used to actually cut something instead of just opening the mail. I have a nice scar on my thumb from that tendency.

Peanuts sure are cute, though. The little kid who ended up with mine sure was excited about it.

My Pen is a yellow delrin, and I quite like the yellow as a highly visible handle color and durable material, but would not object to a stag or bone handle. Case still makes a variety. To avoid getting something that doesn't "walk 'n talk," shop at a knife store or an Ace Hardware and physically examine the knife before the purchase.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Blues will certainly have a better feel for what's out there. FWIW my gentleman folder for such duties is a 9 cm Laguiole En Aubrac:

https://www.laguioleusa.com/product-category/9-cm/

With a minimalist handle it is small, light, and pretty enough to be a conversation piece. On the flip side: it IS stainless, between hand work, fancy scales, and import - price is relatively high, reputation says quality control is spotty. Love my sample of one, in light zebu horn, though for a simple light duty knife for box and letter opening etc.
    That's too big and too thick. 9cm is about 3.5". I'm looking for something where the closed length is well under 3.5 (blade length MUST be under 3.5" to be kosher in the non-London parts of the UK where I travel to twice yearly).

Nice knives though and I've been tempted to get one more than once.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Aside from the scales being Delrin, several of the older Schrades are still available on auction sites. One has to know what to look for to avoid the later Talor made ones but the older good ones (pre 2004) are still out there. 1095 carbon steel blades in a variety of patterns.
    I really hate that I lost the Schrade Old Timer Stockman I had back in the late 80s. It had developed a nice patina and was great pocketknife. No clue what happened to it...

I have the Schrade Tennessee Trapper that my wife and I gave my grandfather for Christmas around 2001 or 2002 and had returned to us when he passed away a few years ago. It's a big large for EDC and currently lives in our safe. Beautiful scales and great walk 'n' talk, but has the devil's steel (stainless).

Chris

That's too big and too thick. 9cm is about 3.5". I'm looking for something where the closed length is well under 3.5 (blade length MUST be under 3.5" to be kosher in the non-London parts of the UK where I travel to twice yearly).

Nice knives though and I've been tempted to get one more than once.

Chris
    For what it's worth they say 9 cm is the blade length but I'm pretty sure it is actually the handle length. 9 cm would right around 3.5 inches and I think the blade is shorter than some 3.25" American made clip point blades I have. I'll bet it's around 3" even. I don't have it on me today but I'll try and get actual measurements and comparative photos tonight. It's much more petite than I think you're imagining.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    @mtnbkr

Chris,

It's been some years since I last bought a (small) traditional production knife...so my best recommendation other than listening to our members here would be to inquire in the Traditional Forum which I used to moderate with GusK up until some years back. The guys and gals there will be able to give you examples of the breed you're looking for.

My smaller production pieces are generally Case with a smattering of the other well known makers. The one peanut I own was a gift from a member there and has a damascus blade and stag covers.

Take a look at the Case 32087 pattern, a great little knife, light in weight with useful sized CV blades. It's one of the small knives I've always liked. As to the quality of today's Case knives, the guys on the Traditional Forum will be your best barometer. You'll have to check if it is offered with natural covers, but I've always liked the yellow delrin for some reason.

32087 CV
    Clip and Pen Blades
    3 3/8" closed; 1.8 oz.
    Made in USA
    I've been perusing the Traditional Forum at BF, I think I'm on page 52.

I've gotten a bit smitten with the Case Baby Butterbean. If I can find one with CV and natural scales, I may go that route. I like the single back spring design for thinness.

Yellow delrin has become a classic Case scale. It's not my favorite, but I do prefer it to synthetics made to look like naturals. One of my favorites is the old-style green pick bone that is nearly brown. I don't know what it's called, but it's a very subtle color.

Is it safe to assume that CV=non-stainless?

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    To avoid getting something that doesn't "walk 'n talk," shop at a knife store or an Ace Hardware and physically examine the knife before the purchase.
    We have Ace Hardware, but no dedicated knife stores. I might just have to take my chances online.

Chris

I've been perusing the Traditional Forum at BF, I think I'm on page 52.

I've gotten a bit smitten with the Case Baby Butterbean. If I can find one with CV and natural scales, I may go that route. I like the single back spring design for thinness.

Yellow delrin has become a classic Case scale. It's not my favorite, but I do prefer it to synthetics made to look like naturals. One of my favorites is the old-style green pick bone that is nearly brown. I don't know what it's called, but it's a very subtle color.

Is it safe to assume that CV=non-stainless?

Chris
    Yes, CV, Chrome Vanadium, is their nomenclature for 1095 carbon steel and its analogs.

The knife I linked you to is very thin...at 1/4" across the back springs and delrin covers. You'd be hard pressed to find a better little knife, imho. Keep us posted.

ETA:

Here's a link to the Baby Butterbean offerings on the Case site...dealers like Knifeworks and others may have additional stock in other variations.

https://caseknives.com/collections/baby-butterbean
    Last edited by blues; 12-21-2020 at 12:54 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Measurements for the 9 cm Laguiole:

Blade length: 3" tip to "hilt". Sharpened edge is closer to 2.75" but, as I understand it, tip to hilt is the usual legal standard.

Handle / folded length: 3.5"

Width: 11/16" at the widest point. It has an ovoid taper away from the mid point to the bolsters so is thinner at the ends.

Height: 11/16" back of handle to widest point of the folded blade.

Comparison to Buck 110, Opinel No 8, Case Mako, and Spyderco Delica 4:

Name:  20201221_164448.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  91.7 KB

Name:  20201221_164357.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  94.7 KB

Name:  20201221_164333.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  99.8 KB

User Tag List