Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holy crap (slipjoint content)

Site Supporter

Holy crap (slipjoint content)

I was poking around the internet looking at traditional slipjoint knives when I came across this:
    Canal Street Cannitler

I have one just like the one pictured that I purchased new for about $80 years ago. It's in my EDC rotation when I feel like carrying a slipjoint. I'd estimate mine to be in Excellent NKCA condition, edging into Near Mint if not for the light corrosion speckles on the D2 blades. Still have the box too.

I love this knife and won't be selling it, but it's shocking to see that price tag.

Chris

Site Supporter
    I remember those being really popular with the traditional crowd at bladeforums back in the day. @blues may remember more.

I’d imagine if they aren’t being made anymore, the price for a nice one hasn’t stagnated.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I remember those being really popular with the traditional crowd at bladeforums back in the day. @blues may remember more.

I’d imagine if they aren’t being made anymore, the price for a nice one hasn’t stagnated.
    I know they were very popular but that particular pattern was never my cup of tea. I don't think I ever purchased any of the Canal Street offerings.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Canal Street is no more. I think they went out of business 2-3 years ago.

Chris

I’ve owned a number of knives on that pattern. The only thing more versatile is a Swiss Army Knife.

That said, I’d be hard pressed to go more than a C-note for one today.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I’ve owned a number of knives on that pattern. The only thing more versatile is a Swiss Army Knife.

That said, I’d be hard pressed to go more than a C-note for one today.

Okie John
    I have lots of whittlers in a variety of patterns, custom and production...I've just never been a big fan of canoes in general...though they are extremely comfortable in the hand. (And I've had a handful of canoes over the years which I've since given to others.)

After stockman and cattle knives, whittlers are probably the next biggest grouping I have...going from memory.

Here's a few from Bill Ruple and Ken Erickson:

Name:  Ruple Whittler.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  65.5 KB

Name:  Erickson Whittler2.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  99.1 KB
    Last edited by blues; 12-20-2020 at 05:40 PM.

Site Supporter
    @blues,

Who makes a good smaller knife these days? Something like a Case Peanut or some flavor of pen knife, but in carbon steel (1095 for example) and natural materials? I'm looking for something that will disappear in the pocket of a suit or slacks (the Cannitler can be a bit heavy in lighter clothing) and not be out of place in a less permissive environment (the Cannitler got some wide-eyed stares in the UK once).

Case seems a natural choice, but the last one I had suffered from blade wobble and weak "walk and talk". I also can't stand stainless in a traditional knife.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    @blues,

Who makes a good smaller knife these days? Something like a Case Peanut or some flavor of pen knife, but in carbon steel (1095 for example) and natural materials? I'm looking for something that will disappear in the pocket of a suit or slacks (the Cannitler can be a bit heavy in lighter clothing) and not be out of place in a less permissive environment (the Cannitler got some wide-eyed stares in the UK once).

Case seems a natural choice, but the last one I had suffered from blade wobble and weak "walk and talk". I also can't stand stainless in a traditional knife.

Chris
    Blues will certainly have a better feel for what's out there. FWIW my gentleman folder for such duties is a 9 cm Laguiole En Aubrac:

https://www.laguioleusa.com/product-category/9-cm/

With a minimalist handle it is small, light, and pretty enough to be a conversation piece. On the flip side: it IS stainless, between hand work, fancy scales, and import - price is relatively high, reputation says quality control is spotty. Love my sample of one, in light zebu horn, though for a simple light duty knife for box and letter opening etc.

@blues

Those split back whittlers are mighty fine. Most of mine are Schrade 804s and a couple of 70s era Cases. I do have a Schrade Walden 804 with bone scales somewhere in the safe.

Canal Street Cutlery was formed by some of the Schrade USA guys from Ellenville. I wanted to get one of their blades as I figured they wouldn't go the distance (hard to compete with cheap, disposable knives and few people these days will bother with learning to sharpen knives) and was saddened to hear they went out of business.

Aside from the scales being Delrin, several of the older Schrades are still available on auction sites. One has to know what to look for to avoid the later Talor made ones but the older good ones (pre 2004) are still out there. 1095 carbon steel blades in a variety of patterns.

I was always partial to the Schrade open stock line such as the 834 and the 881 for stockman knives. My daily carry is a 881Y as that was what my grandfather carried. A Schrade 863 whittler might be perfect for a small slip joint that won't raise eyebrows and is very light in the pocket.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    @blues,

Chris
    @mtnbkr

Chris,

It's been some years since I last bought a (small) traditional production knife...so my best recommendation other than listening to our members here would be to inquire in the Traditional Forum which I used to moderate with GusK up until some years back. The guys and gals there will be able to give you examples of the breed you're looking for.

My smaller production pieces are generally Case with a smattering of the other well known makers. The one peanut I own was a gift from a member there and has a damascus blade and stag covers.

Take a look at the Case 32087 pattern, a great little knife, light in weight with useful sized CV blades. It's one of the small knives I've always liked. As to the quality of today's Case knives, the guys on the Traditional Forum will be your best barometer. You'll have to check if it is offered with natural covers, but I've always liked the yellow delrin for some reason.

32087 CV
    Clip and Pen Blades
    3 3/8" closed; 1.8 oz.
    Made in USA

Here's a poor image of the peanut...produced in 1989:

Name:  Case Peanut2.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  27.0 KB
    Last edited by blues; 12-21-2020 at 09:55 AM.

User Tag List