Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Ranch 6.5 Grendel

Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    I too am stuck in CA for the time being. Please keep us updated about your progress with this rifle. I will probably go with the 5.56 as I have tons of components but am interested in your lead-free load. I might have access to a smaller piece of property where shots would be around 100 yards for deer and pigs. This would make a nice little rifle for that area. I have shot a lot of deer in TX with the .223, but we were on a very large ranch and the deer had room to travel after being hit. I would like a bit more authority in the area to prevent an animal from crossing a fence line but not have an overly powerful cartridge because of the proximity of neighbors. If I sound like I am trying to talk myself into a new rifle, I probably am.
    Certainly. I'm starting with Barnes TTSX 120gr because that's what the LGS had on the shelf, that's a long bullet though and loading to AR mag max OAL of 2.260 is going to limit powder and velocity. Maybe OK given the distances involved, but from initial research these need to hit at > 1800 fps to fully open and leaving the barrel under 2,500 fps would constrain distance. The plan is to also order some 100gr TTSX and those may be a lot easier to work with.

For context, the range day described above was with Hornady 123gr ELD-M in Hornady brass, CCI 450, and 8208XBR. Basically a handloaded version of factory Hornady Black, and loaded that way mostly because it's what I was able to find right now. The testing may be gradual, because small rifle primers are about the only ones I don't have a ton of so until supply is better I may be forced to use mostly factory ammo which seems to be available locally in modest quantities.

I'm not anticipating any shots at more than 200 yds around here, on the coast stuff grows so fast we can practically hear it in the spring and I just had to mow the lawn yesterday, in December. It's mostly dense conifer and while there are lots of grassland openings the only way to get a really long shot in most cases is across a valley. That changes inland of course where it's drier. But here, we're nearing the end of two years of clearing work to get back out to 600 yds at the members-only rifle range, right now it's only open to 300 because the back slope grew into tree cover. That's the only place I'm likely to be shooting long, and usually not with this rifle.

5.56 is a really tempting option in this system, and I may end up with another one someday. It would be fine for our small black-tailed deer out here at reasonable ranges with well placed shots, maybe a little marginal for pigs though.

This is interesting to me re Ranch Rifles

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ch-nodak-spud/

Name:  00Ruger-sights.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  97.3 KB
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

The lack of irons is why I got a Mossberg MVP a few years ago in .308. I might Get one of these now.

I wish this came in a mini.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Ruger made an M77 with a 19 inch barrel and a Mannlicher stock. With a Leupold 2.5x this one weighs in at 6.9 lbs. It's a very handy rifle.

Name:  20210417_121826.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  25.6 KB

Lack of iron sights is one of the reasons I'd held off on one in 5.56. Now with that resolved, I may try to track one down - even more so considering that I may wind up in less than 2A friendly state for work. I envision sort of a modern Enfield No.5 Mk 1 with an micro Aimpoint on top and a suppressor mount.

I’m not getting why these don’t come in 7.62x51.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Because they'd completely decimate the Ruger Scout Rifle sales.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    I don't get why they don't come in left handed! I get it is a niche, but I would have at least one of these with a left handed action. I own a howa mini action in 300 blackout and it is the rifle I enjoy to shoot more than anything right now, I only wish it was a lefty.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Are the Ruger American Ranch receivers the same length as the regular Ruger American receivers? I only have the former, and a 308 loaded with a 175 SMK is longer than the .223 Ranch ejection port. The bolt goes back past past the back of the ejection port, so maybe you could eject an unfired 308 from a Ranch, I dunno????

(if the question was 'why isn't Nodak Spud making these for calibers other than .223, my read is that they are currently making them for the OD of a 223 barrel, and may make them for other barrel diameters if warranted)

User Tag List