Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Ranch 6.5 Grendel

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    NoDak Spud has announced they are making a front and rear sight for these Ruger's too, I plan to add one of those when available. My front sight will get pinned as I don't trust any clamping.
    Now that right there is cool.

One caveat is they say only 223 and 350 legend. The other calibers use a different barrel profile.

NoDak Spud has announced they are making a front and rear sight for these Ruger's too, I plan to add one of those when available. My front sight will get pinned as I don't trust any clamping.
    An RAR in 5.56 is on my list. I like those sights.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    Awesome. I have a 5.56 RAR that I'll definitely get those for. It should also help get the SWFA Ultralight mounted further to the rear than the Talley mounts I'm currently using. I dig the SWFA scope, but the eye relief is super short.

The bolt is starting to smooth out, and I've only worked it perhaps 150 times after the 40 rounds at the range. Not all the way there yet but headed in the right direction, should be OK with time and use. Picked up some Barnes TTSX to work up a legit CA non-lead backcountry load.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    NoDak Spud just made 2020 worthwhile!

I have two 7.62x39's but was thinking about a 5.56. I just now the only thing I need to do is find the rifle and order the sights.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    The bolt is starting to smooth out, and I've only worked it perhaps 150 times after the 40 rounds at the range. Not all the way there yet but headed in the right direction, should be OK with time and use. Picked up some Barnes TTSX to work up a legit CA non-lead backcountry load.
    I too am stuck in CA for the time being. Please keep us updated about your progress with this rifle. I will probably go with the 5.56 as I have tons of components but am interested in your lead-free load. I might have access to a smaller piece of property where shots would be around 100 yards for deer and pigs. This would make a nice little rifle for that area. I have shot a lot of deer in TX with the .223, but we were on a very large ranch and the deer had room to travel after being hit. I would like a bit more authority in the area to prevent an animal from crossing a fence line but not have an overly powerful cartridge because of the proximity of neighbors. If I sound like I am trying to talk myself into a new rifle, I probably am.

Do you expect that the Leu 2.5 can co-exist with a set of these irons? BTW I think that is one of the coolest scopes available for a handy rifle like this. Whether I used a 1-4x or 2-7X I always had them set a 2X for all my woods hunting.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Do you expect that the Leu 2.5 can co-exist with a set of these irons?
    My expectation is co-witness will not work in this case, so I will switch to a set of Warne QD rings for the Leu 2.5X. I use those rings now on my "scout" rifles that are scoped but also have a set of irons in place. No big deal to have to yank it off in the field to get to the irons. No great burden to keep watch on the Warnes to make sure they remain tight. Since it is not some combat/tactical rifle in my context I don't feel a need to create a co-witness set up.

My expectation is co-witness will not work in this case, so I will switch to a set of Warne QD rings for the Leu 2.5X. I use those rings now on my "scout" rifles that are scoped but also have a set of irons in place. No big deal to have to yank it off in the field to get to the irons. No great burden to keep watch on the Warnes to make sure they remain tight. Since it is not some combat/tactical rifle in my context I don't feel a need to create a co-witness set up.
    Roger that, I just meant for physical clearance (co-exist being a poor way to phrase it). I didn't think co-witnessing is even a thing with magnified optics.
    I just meant for the heights and clearance. That set up with the irons and the 2.5X sounds pretty close to perfect.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Roger that, I just meant for physical clearance
    Great point, I will not be shocked if it has to go to their high rings to make it happen and it would be sad if the eye relief to get it in front of the rear is beyond what is comfortable. Impossible to tell until it is all in hand I guess.

User Tag List