Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger Ranch 6.5 Grendel

Ruger Ranch 6.5 Grendel

For some time I've been thinking about a compact, lightweight, intermediate-caliber mountain gun. Outside of California it would be easy to adapt an AR in any of several calibers for that role, here it would be a bad idea; lets just say compliance is a whole different topic. I don't really need a semi-auto for this role anyway, so have been considering lever guns and bolt guns. This originally came up a few years ago when I was doing permitting on a clients property in Sonoma County and there was plenty of evidence of a feral pig problem; they have a depredation permit, but I kind of wanted a little more than the pistol I did carry or the 5.56 that I didn't. Then last year we did a project on a really remote and rugged site further north, and I was out there for days at a time stepping over fresh black bear scat every day, two mountain lion encounters, and one pig. This was private land, so a long gun would have been fine with few restrictions other than all day carry comfort and the ability to go up and down 2,000 feet of elevation range on often steep slopes with dense conifer and brush interspersed with large grassland openings.

I settled on going with a bolt gun and the caliber first, and decided to try 6.5 Grendel because it gives a little more punch while having the ability to reach out to moderate-longish ranges. From there the criteria were light weight, a 16 or 18-inch barrel, and magazine fed. That left three main choices. I ruled out the Howa mini pretty quickly because although there are many good reviews of accuracy, the mag release in front of the mag would be asking for trouble in dense brush (why did they do that?), the 20-inch barrel was a little longer than I wanted, and the proprietary mags didn't help. A CZ 527 was a serious consideration, some report needing to bed the action but that by itself wouldn't have been a deal killer; the wood stock version currently shows only with the 24-inch barrel in 6.5, so to get the shorter barrel would have meant the synthetic stock version. Again there's the proprietary mag thing, and five round capacity. It was still a maybe, although finally I decided to go with a Ruger Ranch. Reasons: 16-inch barrel, 6 lbs, AR-pattern mags available from at least two manufacturers, 10-round capacity, in stock nearby (which the other choices weren't), comes with a rail, medium-heavy barrel, and I could use it out of the box with no modifications. It's also the least expensive of the the three by a fair amount, at about $460. At that price, I expected a few compromises.

Pickup was a couple days ago. First impressions:
    - It handles and balances nicely. About the same length as my 1943-vintage M1 carbine, a little more robust in the stock and not quite a pound heavier.
    - The synthetic stock was better than expected; there's a little flex but not enough to be a problem, and the barrel really is free-floated.
    - There's a little front-back play in the magwell, a bit of space to rock the mag back and forth, although it tends to settle in one spot. Laterally it's tight.
    - The biggest issue is the bolt. Mine's not as bad as some I've read about, but there are lots of sharp edges and tool marks. C'mon Ruger, seriously? This is the best you can do? As new, it's hard to work the bolt quickly without it hanging up, especially at the front and back of the cycle. Debating whether to just let it wear in, or lapp it in a little.
    - The trigger is smooth, currently a little heavy although its supposed to be adjustable and I haven't messed with it yet.

I had some ammo loaded up so this morning I took it to the range. The only spare optic at the moment is an Aimpoint Micro so that went on the rail. It shoots nicely. At 100 yds it's easy to stay in the black, some of the holes were touching; and at 200 yrds I was able to shoot a 4-inch five round group despite the dot covering most of the bullseye. With magnification and good ammo I wouldn't be surprised if this really is an MOA gun as advertised.

Here's the part where I'm open to opinions: Next I need to decide whether to keep the Aimpoint on it and use it as a perfectly capable 200-yard gun; or, put some sort of lightweight scope on it for greater accuracy and distance. Please do not suggest some big heavy optic, that ain't gonna happen, it would defeat the entire purpose. I'm talking under a pound.

If I can get the bolt to smooth out I'll be reasonably happy.
    Last edited by Salamander; 12-19-2020 at 09:27 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I keep having an itch for one of these in 7.62 Commie. Enough that there are Mini 30 mags in at least one online shopping cart.

Ruger CS confirmed for me that the receiver is drilled the same as any other American, so you can always swap on some conventional scope mount bases if you want the lowest possible mounting. I believe Warne and/or Ruger make some nice steel Weaver-style bases that are a good bit lower than the rail that comes on the RAR.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I'd want at least some magnification. A 1-4x or better if you find one that suits you.
    I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how well it shoots. Mine in 300blk turned in some very good groups.

In this thread, Down the Practical Hole, ultimately, I ended up with a RAR in 6.5 Grendel. Some of my thoughts on it are expressed in that thread.

I agree, the trigger from the factory is a little heavy. I left it as is, but after having taken it hog shooting, I'll probably adjust it as it became more noticeable when positioning to get shots.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    In this thread, Down the Practical Hole, ultimately, I ended up with a RAR in 6.5 Grendel. Some of my thoughts on it are expressed in that thread.

I agree, the trigger from the factory is a little heavy. I left it as is, but after having taken it hog shooting, I'll probably adjust it as it became more noticeable when positioning to get shots.
    Thanks, was looking for that thread the other day and couldn't find it.

The trigger was toward the top of the 3-5 lb range listed in the specs out of the box. Just adjusted it, and it's now a hair under 3 lbs. Much better. Another plus: The rifle is really easy to take apart and reassemble, two allen bolts and about a minute.

And before anyone asks, I'll re-post the same photo as in the carbine thread:

Name:  IMG_3446.JPG
Views: 1536
Size:  82.4 KB

For your use case, I would stay with the aimpoint.

I want one, though I may go for .300 BLK.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I picked up a RARR in .300 Blackout a couple months ago to use as a (handloading) development platform for my AR-style PDW in that caliber. Down at the gun shop, I cringed a little bit at the aesthetics of the synthetic stock. But as soon as I got it home and began shooting it, I quickly got over that... falling head over heels for the little rifle.

Light, handy, accurate. It has a better trigger than either of my Ruger No. 1's, my Ruger 77, my Winchester Model 70, or my Remington 700. And the stock picatinny rail makes sighting system changes dead-easy. I had an old, never used Leupold Vari-X II 1-4 still in its box down in the drawer of my gun cabinet. I put that on and it seems to suit the RARR perfectly.

The astonishment is how little the diminutive rifle costs. Ruger hit a home run with it.

FWIW, I got one of the early ones in 300BLK, and the bolt was slick as could be fro day 1. I liked it so much a few years later I got one in 223, and that action was noticeably rougher. You could see the marks on the bolt fro a much higher feed rate. Waaaah. But I set it out and worked it for a couple of minutes a few times a day for a few days and it slicked up quite a bit, not far off the original.

(thx for the suggestion upthread about swapping the pic rail for conventional mounts to get a scope lower, hadn't thought of that ... duh)

I picked up one in 300BLK as well. I put that 2.5X fixed power ultra light leupold scope on it and it seems like a good choice for that bolt gun.

NoDak Spud has announced they are making a front and rear sight for these Ruger's too, I plan to add one of those when available. My front sight will get pinned as I don't trust any clamping.

User Tag List