Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phoenix Redback

Very cool.

I'm not in the target market for one, but that is a very handsome gun, and looks very well made indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
    Not quite sure what you’re getting at, but it’s not a “retro” anything. It’s an updated Sphinx 3000, which wasn’t retro itself. The 3000 had a rail too.

They are extremely well made CZ clones. Not too different from the extremely well made 1911 clones from Wilson and the like. Same idea.

CZ is to Colt what Phoenix is too Wilson, so to speak.
    I’m familiar with all the parties. I missed the boat on AT84/88/2000s, and am still mad about it. I think rails are ugly, and both superfluous and obstructive to concealed carry, which is what I usually do with guns.

So, I am mad that they decided to bring back the improved-improved model, rather than the original.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I’m familiar with all the parties. I missed the boat on AT84/88/2000s, and am still mad about it. I think rails are ugly, and both superfluous and obstructive to concealed carry, which is what I usually do with guns.
    control of it
    So, I am mad that they decided to bring back the improved-improved model, rather than the original.
    No I get it. I'm not a rail guy either. Unfortunately so many pistols today include them.

If it matters, I'm a huge fan of the old Sphinx 2000 and own a few. However, the owner who designed the 3000 and the Redback is not the same as the Sphinx ownership from back in the day. As for the AT models before Sphinx got control of it, they were very average from a quality standpoint. I had one and sold it.

Here's some Sphinx 2000 goodness for you...they pretty much all had stainless frames and carbon steel slides.

Blued AT2000S

Palladium AT2000S (with Sphinx wood grips)

Blued AT2000 Competitor

Came across this new Phoenix gun and want it irrationally. I could start shooting Limited if I had one. I have one round of .40 somewhere. They already sell in Canada, hopefully they will make their way here.

Name:  drake.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  31.6 KB
    @bac1023
    Last edited by YVK; 01-17-2021 at 11:25 AM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Yes that’s the Phoenix Drake Limited Major gun. I don’t care much for 40S&W, but I already have one of these reserved.

I’m hearing from the importer that they will be here by May or June. Probably about $5000.

This would be in line with top 2011 price-wise. Certainly an easier path into the US competition than the Redback. We'll see how ammo situation develops and how my single stack experiment goes. I could consider the Limited division under some circumstances, this might be a worthy option assuming adequate support. Limited guns are all about mags working, or not; hopefully, oem mags and Swiss engineering will make that a nonissue.

Read some reports on Enos from German Redback competitive shooters that they change OEM springs to CZ to improve trigger pull. Found that interesting.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List