Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Shooting with thumb blocking back plate and other non-best practice items

Quote Originally Posted by UniSol View Post
    Was it George Bristol? The guy was my Bn Commander in the early ‘aughts. Bad motherfucker.

@JCN, I’m enjoying your threads so far.
    Totally Col. Bristol. Really nice guy, especially considering how many dicks he’s been responsible for putting in the dirt over a lengthy career. Great to train with. You can tell he’s one of those lifer combatives guys who just enjoys time spent on the mat with whomever is willing to work. That was my take, at least, I liked him.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Totally Col. Bristol. Really nice guy, especially considering how many dicks he’s been responsible for putting in the dirt over a lengthy career. Great to train with. You can tell he’s one of those lifer combatives guys who just enjoys time spent on the mat with whomever is willing to work. That was my take, at least, I liked him.

That’s awesome. Yeah, he was all about the men and the mission. Real deal Warrior Poet.
    Last edited by UniSol; 12-20-2020 at 04:35 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    Youtube searching "james lindel retention" is fraught with peril.

It is perhaps better that this topic isn't in the Unarmed Combatives subforum; but I imagine that if it was, the discussion might be more focused and nuanced in its manner.
    Regardless of subforum, please feel free to add more focus and nuance. I'm fully aware that I'm rapidly out of my depth in this arena and would welcome your input. I kicked around pulling the side conversation out but the thread is kind of entangled at this point.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

That two-guns shooting was pretty horrific as far as precision, accuracy, and volume of fire within the timeframe; as compared to shooting a single-gun two-handed.

I don't think that the forced in battery "experiment" demonstrated an applicable premise nor a viable grasp of the context.
    I think there’s a very good reason that dual wielding 10mms isn’t a combat standard, lol.
    The only potential advantage (and I use that loosely because I don’t think anyone thinks it’s a good idea) is that it probably is “good enough” accuracy if you were actually shooting at a person and that the volume of fire would probably be higher than single gun firing a magazine and changing magazines before completing the second magazine, no?

And it was 10mm. It would have been much easier with dual 22LR or dual 9mm.
    I am 100% confident dual 22LR with 10 round magazines would get more hits in AC zones faster than single plus reload.

Premise for the battery drill was given to me by my LEO friend who uses it to train officers.
    I fully acknowledge that I could have effed up the context.

Can you help me? As I understood it, it was either because you were pressed up and entangled in an assailant and pushed into him and didn’t want him to get your loaded weapon. But I was scared to be on top of a live gun so I just really worked on it like a malfunction drill. Plus when the dummy doesn’t have arms, it limits the amount of grappling he can do...

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    ..but the thread is kind of entangled at this point.
    FUTT
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

BBI,

Pardon, that was glib of me; and that wasn't my attention.

Re: Youtubing "james lindel retention;" which I now understand to be a misspelling of Lindell's name, includes on the first page such titles as "Semen Retention Pt.2 - Your Questions Answered," "The rewards of retention |SEMEN RETENTION|," "Retain to obtain ultimate confidence |seed retention|," and "Semen Retention | Your Seed Has Great Power" and frankly, those just weren't the firearms retention demonstrations that I was seeking.

On the sub-forum remark, I had the simultaneous thoughts that forced-battery shooting techniques probably would be best suited for the Unarmed sub-forum despite the obligate presence of a firearm, and that this all might be a bit more light-hearted than that, given the nature of the videos. I think the harder one stares at the concept, the more it becomes problematic as a singleton technique; and the more that it becomes a technique most viable within a team context. Then: the more teammates present and participating, the more that it becomes less desirable, given backstop issues. All of these concerns become trebled when the technique requires two hands in order to perform it (e.g. exposed hammer-fired system, Gadged SCD installed). Given the proximity to the opponent that would justify and\or necessitate such a technique - or other techniques - by obligation timing\relative-positioning\relative-control become greater priorities than speed, and that really pulls everything away from what's driven by the shot timer.

On shooting dual guns vs shooting a single gun; the OP demonstrated competent speed, precision, and accuracy in his other videos - above-baseline, at that. From 1:11 to 1:15 - the only 4 seconds of live fire in a 1:33 length video; it is clearly observable that the shooter's shoulders have reverted to the slightly off-square orientation (relative to the target) of their two-handed shooting stance, and under recoil the rearmost\right-side gun's muzzleline is near to or intersecting with the leading\left-side gun - far closer to intersecting with the left-hand (as per video) than is advisible. ~20 rd in 4 seconds, already at full-extension, close enough to the target for the muzzle blast to ruffle the paper, without needing to draw from the holster, and with a single transition between proximal targets ~4' apart? Getting all of those rounds out during that time may be challenging; but those that are fired are far more likely to be desirable hits than not; I expect that the OP could accomplish it within that time-limit.

Also... LOL @ "entangled."

JCN,

I think that "good enough" accuracy, sufficient to eventually and\or partially strike one's opponent; pales against the standard of "unlikely to miss (or shoot-through)," which is somewhat more self-descriptive and perhaps more considerate of bystanders and other participants. Some opinions may differ.

I have some familiarity with the 10mm and its descendant calibers; I don't think that its usage fundamentally changes the argument offered in any way for or against. I don't think that shooting one's self in the thumb or hand is hugely improved or worsened as a consideration; when considering .22LR, 9mm, or 10mm; if it's an avoidable activity altogether. Even as something that is not a certainty, but bears with it an increased likelihood of occurrence; as with running a cheapo foregrip on a KSG, I just can't get behind it. Other opinions, and digits, may differ; and the google image searches inform accordingly.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    BBI,

Re: Youtubing "james lindel retention;" which I now understand to be a misspelling of Lindell's name, includes on the first page such titles as "Semen Retention Pt.2 - Your Questions Answered," "The rewards of retention |SEMEN RETENTION|," "Retain to obtain ultimate confidence |seed retention|," and "Semen Retention | Your Seed Has Great Power" and frankly, those just weren't the firearms retention demonstrations that I was seeking.

On the sub-forum remark, I had the simultaneous thoughts that forced-battery shooting techniques probably would be best suited for the Unarmed sub-forum despite the obligate presence of a firearm, and that this all might be a bit more light-hearted than that, given the nature of the videos. I think the harder one stares at the concept, the more it becomes problematic as a singleton technique; and the more that it becomes a technique most viable within a team context. Then: the more teammates present and participating, the more that it becomes less desirable, given backstop issues. All of these concerns become trebled when the technique requires two hands in order to perform it (e.g. exposed hammer-fired system, Gadged SCD installed). Given the proximity to the opponent that would justify and\or necessitate such a technique - or other techniques - by obligation timing\relative-positioning\relative-control become greater priorities than speed, and that really pulls everything away from what's driven by the shot timer.

On shooting dual guns vs shooting a single gun; the OP demonstrated competent speed, precision, and accuracy in his other videos - above-baseline, at that. From 1:11 to 1:15 - the only 4 seconds of live fire in a 1:33 length video; it is clearly observable that the shooter's shoulders have reverted to the slightly off-square orientation (relative to the target) of their two-handed shooting stance, and under recoil the rearmost\right-side gun's muzzleline is near to or intersecting with the leading\left-side gun - far closer to intersecting with the left-hand (as per video) than is advisible. ~20 rd in 4 seconds, already at full-extension, close enough to the target for the muzzle blast to ruffle the paper, without needing to draw from the holster, and with a single transition between proximal targets ~4' apart? Getting all of those rounds out during that time may be challenging; but those that are fired are far more likely to be desirable hits than not; I expect that the OP could accomplish it within that time-limit.

JCN,

I think that "good enough" accuracy, sufficient to eventually and\or partially strike one's opponent; pales against the standard of "unlikely to miss (or shoot-through)," which is somewhat more self-descriptive and perhaps more considerate of bystanders and other participants. Some opinions may differ.

I have some familiarity with the 10mm and its descendant calibers; I don't think that its usage fundamentally changes the argument offered in any way for or against. I don't think that shooting one's self in the thumb or hand is hugely improved or worsened as a consideration; when considering .22LR, 9mm, or 10mm; if it's an avoidable activity altogether. Even as something that is not a certainty, but bears with it an increased likelihood of occurrence; as with running a cheapo foregrip on a KSG, I just can't get behind it. Other opinions, and digits, may differ; and the google image searches inform accordingly.
    I didn't take your comment amiss, and I swear the entangled thing was subconscious word choice.

I had no idea what you meant about the Youtube thing, I thought maybe you meant people were posting things that weren't really his ideas and accrediting to him to gain standing. Your explanation is DEFINITELY not what I would have guessed. I actually had to read it twice as is.

I can see where the discussion fits both unarmed and "gun handling" so given a clear bright line rule I just leave things where they are.

Honestly, I just want more knowledgeable folks to chime in and people like you doing so adds value to the thread so... if I can goad you into doing so I feel I've accomplished my job.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

BBI,

JCN,

Points are well taken!

I get bored easily and like variety. Most of what I do is tangential to actual practical anything, but has some basis in something I'm trying to isolate in a different way.

These discussions are fun for me and I look forward to experienced and competent practitioners adding their opinions and content!

User Tag List