Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: "We are making ammo" videos from Hornady and Federal

And again......why invest in unusable capacity?

Once the shelves are stocked what to do with idle machines while typical gun owner only buys what he needs?

And.....Once the shelves are stocked all the hoarders wont be buying for a while......Then prices drop and so do profits.

I think I said it before one cannot have communism when it is convenient or beneficial to them and expect market forces otherwise.

Primers go to the more profitable product.....shocking or perhaps .....DUH!

Would it be better for an ammo company to go out of business in order to produce 10-20% more for the next year or so?

This is not an example of anyones rights being denied.

10K of 9 in normal times is aboot the price of an AR ready to tango or two RDS Glocks......Priorities.

Site Supporter
    Since this is a US-specific issue, I wonder if the European and Filipino producers have increased their production (or are able to) to meet the demand?

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    How long are you willing to bet this is going to last before demand subsides to current capacity? It seems like there would be a million better bets for your money in terms of sustained demand. We’ll see, I guess, if a dark horse supplier emerges in the next year or two.
    If you believe Federal, and there are 8 million new shooters, this imbalance between supply and demand will continue for a long time. I try to fly and shoot every day, and when my daily ammo costs more than my avgas, something is seriously out of whack. I hope there are cargo ships full of foreign primers steaming towards the USA.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    . I hope there are cargo ships full of foreign primers steaming towards the USA.
    That was my guess as to how some of this resolves. Nobody tell Kamala.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Not sure how shooting is going to work at $700+ per 1,000 of 9mm.
    I'm wondering if there will be any live fire training in the second half of 2021.

I know some guys who have ammo for sale as part of their classes that may be busy but unless you can provide that service, I don't know.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Federal could earn a lot of goodwill by providing reasonably priced ammo to USPSA and IDPA, that could be provided for use at matches.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Federal could earn a lot of good will by providing ammo to people who just want to protect their families and them selves

Federal could earn a lot of goodwill by providing reasonably priced ammo to USPSA and IDPA, that could be provided for use at matches.
    There's what, 30-40k active USPSA members? I can't imagine IDPA is all that much different, and there's also some double-counting due to crossover between the two. That number of people is on the level of a rounding error when calculating the total number of shooters in the US. Competitive pistol shooters shoot a lot more ammo on average than non-competitors, but I think calculating "goodwill" would be on a per-person, not a per-round basis.

Anyways, what would probably happen once the word got out is that neckbeards would sign up to shoot a match and then once they got their below-market-cost ammo, they'd leave without shooting the match, and sell the ammo.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Since this is a US-specific issue, I wonder if the European and Filipino producers have increased their production (or are able to) to meet the demand?
    Sign me up for a bunch of S&B.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    The last time this happened Russia and other foreign producers were a big part of the solution, however, this time the Russian plants production is greatly reduced due to COVID.

User Tag List