Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2A: Take Action Notice - Comment Period on ATF Brace "Guidance" Document

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Yep, and you'd think that an agency that had already been slapped for using "much faster" as a standard would know that too.

"ATFE's relational definition suffers from a further methodological flaw: it designates no points of comparison. In order to say that one item burns 'much faster' than another, one would need to know the speed at which each item burns. But ATFE has never pointed to evidence establishing the data points necessary to make a comparison." Tripoli Rocketry Ass'n, Inc. v. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, & Explosives, 437 F.3d 75, 82 (D.C. Cir. 2006).
    I think we are seeing the starting point for those suggested comments . . .

I'm not a fan of canned copy and paste letters to government agencies and elected officials.

If you're going to do it, take the time and put your thoughts into the response instead of someone else's.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I'm not a fan of canned copy and paste letters to government agencies and elected officials.

If you're going to do it, take the time and put your thoughts into the response instead of someone else's.
    I agree for the most part. But some people will not be articulate enough to clearly argue there thoughts in writing. The better the canned response they are supplied the better it is for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    I agree for the most part. But some people will not be articulate enough to clearly argue there thoughts in writing. The better the canned response they are supplied the better it is for everyone.
    Until they get 50,000 of the same low effort responses. If you can't tell them why you oppose it in your own words then it doesn't mean much.

Until they get 50,000 of the same low effort responses. If you can't tell them why you oppose it in your own words then it doesn't mean much.
    Not really, because numbers have value. I’d rather see someone send a canned response than none at all.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Not really, because numbers have value. I’d rather see someone send a canned response than none at all.
    If I were on the receiving end and nearly every message I opened was a prewritten response, I'd view it as the people sending them didn't care enough about the matter to sit down and put some thought into why I should be convinced to value their input.

If I were on the receiving end and nearly every message I opened was a prewritten response, I'd view it as the people sending them didn't care enough about the matter to sit down and put some thought into why I should be convinced to value their input.
    I tend to agree with this line of thinking. And that's why I asked what I did earlier about sending in canned responses.

The skeptic in me wonders if they are going to listen to any responses at all, canned or authentic.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    I tend to agree with this line of thinking. And that's why I asked what I did earlier about sending in canned responses.

The skeptic in me wonders if they are going to listen to any responses at all, canned or authentic.
    Maybe they will, maybe they won't. But as long as our only say in the matter is the two week comment period I think it's unwise to treat it with less sincerity than is typically shown when someone complains to their HOA about their neighbors Christmas decorations not being to code.

Speaking only for what the legislative staffer I briefly dated told me, it’s a little like the old “what do they call the person who graduated last in their med school class? Doctor.” The staffers are the only ones who see them, and they are enumerating them strictly by position. No points for originality, although the really good ones may get flagged for the boss to see.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Expanding on my point a little. It’s like heavyduty says only the staffers are going to read these. They get sorted into categories of yes, no, and probably wtf did I just read. While not the same I have some experience with looking at employee surveys for large companies and corporations. While they are supposed to be anonymous reading some of them you can tell who wrote them. The ones that stuck out to me were people who were smart enough and cared enough but were offensive in there writing and criticism. A canned response articulately and factually written would be a whole lot better and faster for the staffers to sort through then something sheepdog or muh’rights.

I just hope they get enough comments that are enough to swing it to our side. I’m not a lawyer but the best way to stop this is to get out the vote. Total numbers matter not individual responses. I have no faith in the Courts, Congress, the current Administration or the future one to deem the changes anti 2a. Ymmv. But I hope the vast majority of us are at least telling everybody pro-2a to comment. That’s a lot of acquaintances who agree with the 2nd but can’t articulate the finer points. A canned response or a couple canned responses I can hand out before the deadline I feel would go a long way
    Last edited by camel; 12-19-2020 at 11:02 AM.

User Tag List