Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Best current compensator options for Glocks

Quote Originally Posted by NoTacTravis View Post
    I hadn't thought of that.

Looks like this guy ran a pretty comprehensive side by side chrono to test that.:
    https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/gl...loads.1499605/

Seemed to drop about ~2% or ~30fps on average across 4 loads tested.
    That is porting — doesn’t the comp extend beyond the “regular barrel length.” So what are velocities with the comp, comparing for example, a regular Glock 19 and a 19 with a Mayhem?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    That is porting — doesn’t the comp extend beyond the “regular barrel length.” So what are velocities with the comp, comparing for example, a regular Glock 19 and a 19 with a Mayhem?
    True. With my post you quoted I was only attempting to address the drop in muzzle velocity coming from the porting that YVK mentioned.

For a porting vs. comp. direct comparison you can see this link: Although it is also imperfect in other ways.
    https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...pensator/99220

Mainly the thrust of what I was chiming in on is the "do comps work for 9mm" part of the debate. From my reading it seems that they do indeed and that there are objective tests that seem to verify this. Whether or not people like them, wish to run them, or see them as useless for wimpy 9mm loads, in their more manly hands would seem to be a subjective matter.

Quote Originally Posted by NoTacTravis View Post
    Looks like this guy ran a pretty comprehensive side by side chrono to test that.:
    https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/gl...loads.1499605/

Seemed to drop about ~2% or ~30fps on average across 4 loads tested.
    Looks like factory porting brings +P loads down to somewhere between +P and regular. Maybe we'll call it +/- P.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

It's a well established fact at this point that comps do make a difference. How much of a difference is a matter of comp design, gun used, ammo used, and the shooter.
    "Is it worth it?" is probably only going to be answered on a case-by-case basis with each individual having to weigh the pros and cons in their own mind.
    My own opinion is don't knock it till you try it, but I could also be guilty of invested bias.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Separately: I do understand why people use mechanical rests for these tests but to me they don't tell much. What I want to know is not what those things do against no resistance but how much extra resistance on regular gun is needed to equalize both. In simpler words, if even a crappy grip is enough to overcome that 30% uninhibited rise difference then why bother. I very much prefer people running those on timers, even if that involves a human factor.

Bud, I'll take your word on this, no need to spend time and ammo on this.

I fully admit to having a low intensity bipolar attitude to comps on 9 mm. I've a very strong bias against them as a baseline attitude. Then Roland is the thing and I am thinking I should get one. Then a training buddy, strong M class, pokes his balls with one in AIWB while bending and takes it off in one week, proclaiming "they don't do much anyway", so I say screw it. Then Mayhem with small profile comes out, and Jody has like three of them, so I say maybe. Then CCforlife hits the GM and does well on the Nats with G26... The cycle never ends.
    As a human, here's my impression.
    A G19 shooting Speer Lawman with a comp feels like a G19 shooting gamer ammo.
    It's noticeably softer shooting and easier to get back on target sooner, but that's the order of magnitude of difference in feel.

Not earth shattering, but definitely noticeable. The timing of them is weird and feels "artificial" to me. It seems like there's more complex stuff going on in tracking the dot visually with the comp, but I haven't spent time to fully tune RSA and other parameters to maximize them.

I don't run a comp on my open gun, FWIW. I won't ever use one for a real carry gun (too loud and blasty).

The interesting thing about CCforlife is that he has said that he knows and quantifies the hit he takes in performance using a G26 over a G34. So it's not like he thinks the G26 shoots better for him overall, it's that he chooses to not use it.

I feel the same way about comps. But I carry a P365. Can't say that I ever felt an urge to buy the SAS ported version.

Okay, I kind of love this gun after shooting it today.

Name:  0ABB05AC-9DD7-4E7C-B5F7-2FBFF1AEDAA0.jpg
Views: 2725
Size:  87.2 KB

I had a new experiences rich day today, like shooting LTT RDO, trying on a T1 holster and, you guessed it, shooting a Roland, KKM barrel etc. I had some 115 gr Lawman so it was hot enough. I do wish I had my G19 with a WML for better comparison but all I had was a G26. Even then, I could see that the comp did work.
    Weak interest in Mayhem for G26 grew into a modest interest.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    As a human, here's my impression.
    A G19 shooting Speer Lawman with a comp feels like a G19 shooting gamer ammo.
    It's noticeably softer shooting and easier to get back on target sooner, but that's the order of magnitude of difference in feel.

Not earth shattering, but definitely noticeable. The timing of them is weird and feels "artificial" to me. It seems like there's more complex stuff going on in tracking the dot visually with the comp, but I haven't spent time to fully tune RSA and other parameters to maximize them.

I don't run a comp on my open gun, FWIW. I won't ever use one for a real carry gun (too loud and blasty).

The interesting thing about CCforlife is that he has said that he knows and quantifies the hit he takes in performance using a G26 over a G34. So it's not like he thinks the G26 shoots better for him overall, it's that he chooses to not use it.

I feel the same way about comps. But I carry a P365. Can't say that I ever felt an urge to buy the SAS ported version.
    There are times loud and blasty can be a good thing.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    There are times loud and blasty can be a good thing.
    https://ia800301.us.archive.org/15/i...thoutABang.mp3

Someone linked to this on a 2011 forum but no reason you can't do it on a Glock.

Its called the Chunk Port, although there is some argument as to whether its a Comp or a bigass Port.

Hmmm... if you have a mill laying around you could DIY. I kid but maybe with some refinement this could be an viable option.

https://cuttermachineworks.com/product/chunk-port/

User Tag List