Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Best current compensator options for Glocks

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Yes, from a threading standpoint.

Here is the same comp on a G19

And a G35 with 357 Sig barrel

Thnx. I have remained skeptical if comps do much for 9 mm guns. I have said it here before, I wish someone made a non-ported weight to screw on a threaded barrel and run it against a real comp. That said, if those are interchangeable with .357, maybe I'll play with one.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I normally shoot 115 gr FMJ reloads (4.5 gr titegroup). With my old setup I would average 2.60-2.80 seconds on a Bill Drill from AIWB concealment. Now I am doing about 2.20-2.40. I don't compete so I don't know if that is important. However, I am much happier that my dot doesn't bounce as much with each shot. The only downside was the price and the lead time for them to make it (8-10 weeks).
    Have you had any issues with it causing malfunctions with factory 115 gr ammo?

Does it cause any snag issues with holsters since the front of the slide seems to bevel in further than the width of the comp?

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    Have you had any issues with it causing malfunctions with factory 115 gr ammo?

Does it cause any snag issues with holsters since the front of the slide seems to bevel in further than the width of the comp?
    I have not shot factory ammo in it except for 124 grain +P Gold Dots (it works fine with this). My practice ammo has a muzzle velocity of about 1150-1180 fps (so close to AE 115 gr FMJ). I have only about 2000 rounds in it, and so far so good.

It does not snag, and the edges are radiused nicely. It is not much wider than the point of the beveled slide. See below.

Name:  IMG_1035.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  20.5 KB
    Last edited by Paul D; 03-06-2021 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I have not shot factory ammo in it except for 124 grain +P Gold Dots (it works fine with this). My practice ammo has a muzzle velocity of about 1150-1180 fps (so close to AE 115 gr FMJ). I have only about 2000 rounds in it, and so far so good.

It does not snag, and the edges are radiused nicely. It is not much wider than the point the beveled slide. See below.

Name:  IMG_1035.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  20.5 KB
    Thanks! I’ve been trying to find that exact angle for a while now.

I may have to give one of these a try.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Thnx. I have remained skeptical if comps do much for 9 mm guns. I have said it here before, I wish someone made a non-ported weight to screw on a threaded barrel and run it against a real comp.
    You mean like this?

Name:  276C21CF-60BE-444E-ADDE-12A3D9DE08D9.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  39.2 KB

Gemtech Aurora II suppressor, which has the distinction of being one of the smallest and lightest suppressors out there.
    The important part is that it’s so light that it does not use a Nielsen (spring piston) device so it is the comparison you’re looking for.

If I wanted to be scientific, I’d remove the urethane wipes and just test it back to back with the empty housing as a rough equivalence to the comp.

I can do that next week with video if you like, but my impression is that comps do stuff.

It’s obviously a continuum. 9 major ammo is basically 357 Sig velocity in a smaller case. Hot 9mm +P+ is just a whiff slower and then down the continuum.

For some actual quantification, here is PMM testing their V1 and V2 comps.

They both have roughly the same weight and size. The V2 just has more holes. You can see quite a dramatic reduction in muzzle rise with the addition of the second hole testing normal factory 9mm.

I think it gives a good sense of how much (or little) a comp is doing for 9mm.

I have a MBX 9mm PCC suppressor and all the vents are on the top and that definitely makes a difference, even with gamer ammo. That’s why I was thinking a straight vertical comp would be best for 9mm. Like a magna-port or a C model Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by 23JAZ View Post
    Anyone running a G19 with a PMM comp and barrel? About to order the set but would love to hear some firsthand feedback on the combo first.
    I run one and I’m a fan. A guy at my USPSA club runs one quite a bit and never seems to have problems. Both gen5 FWIW.

Im looking forward to the 43X version.

Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    I run one and I’m a fan. A guy at my USPSA club runs one quite a bit and never seems to have problems. Both gen5 FWIW.

Im looking forward to the 43X version.
    I’ve got about 500 rounds through it with the comp. No issues cycling from Tula to HST. Definitely on board for the 43X version.
    Name:  814750E9-4C98-4870-869A-1EB5AF6A609D.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  37.5 KB

Thnx. I have remained skeptical if comps do much for 9 mm guns. I have said it here before, I wish someone made a non-ported weight to screw on a threaded barrel and run it against a real comp. That said, if those are interchangeable with .357, maybe I'll play with one.
    Aren't the gen 3 Glock 17C and 19C pretty much the perfect factory example of this? There are videos around of them in mechanical rests that allow and measure the muzzle flip compared to a regular gen 3 g19/g17 side by side. If I'm remembering correctly there was something like a 30% reduction in muzzle rise with the "C" factory ported barrels barrels shooting box 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by NoTacTravis View Post
    Aren't the gen 3 Glock 17C and 19C pretty much the perfect factory example of this? There are videos around of them in mechanical rests that allow and measure the muzzle flip compared to a regular gen 3 g19/g17 side by side. If I'm remembering correctly there was something like a 30% reduction in muzzle rise with the "C" factory ported barrels barrels shooting box 9mm.
    I am not very well versed in the subject but my understanding is that barrel porting bleeds off gases and reduces muzzle velocity by some %, hence reducing muzzle energy and momentum. So to me it looks like comparing two of the same pistols but one loaded with a softer ammo.

Separately: I do understand why people use mechanical rests for these tests but to me they don't tell much. What I want to know is not what those things do against no resistance but how much extra resistance on regular gun is needed to equalize both. In simpler words, if even a crappy grip is enough to overcome that 30% uninhibited rise difference then why bother. I very much prefer people running those on timers, even if that involves a human factor.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

I can do that next week with video if you like, but my impression is that comps do stuff.

Bud, I'll take your word on this, no need to spend time and ammo on this.

I fully admit to having a low intensity bipolar attitude to comps on 9 mm. I've a very strong bias against them as a baseline attitude. Then Roland is the thing and I am thinking I should get one. Then a training buddy, strong M class, pokes his balls with one in AIWB while bending and takes it off in one week, proclaiming "they don't do much anyway", so I say screw it. Then Mayhem with small profile comes out, and Jody has like three of them, so I say maybe. Then CCforlife hits the GM and does well on the Nats with G26... The cycle never ends.
    @GJM and @SteveB just made Mayhem people 800 bucks richer, so I guess I'll wait for their reports. Or ads in classifieds.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I am not very well versed in the subject but my understanding is that barrel porting bleeds off gases and reduces muzzle velocity by some %, hence reducing muzzle energy and momentum. So to me it looks like comparing two of the same pistols but one loaded with a softer ammo.
    I hadn't thought of that.

Looks like this guy ran a pretty comprehensive side by side chrono to test that.:
    https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/gl...loads.1499605/

Seemed to drop about ~2% or ~30fps on average across 4 loads tested.

User Tag List