Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Sub second concealed Israeli Draws

Site Supporter
    RE: seated draws and muzzling yourself or others seated with you.

ECQC. Practice. Mindset. The ability to accelerate and decelerate at various points as you process information.

It can be done, even AIWB.

I have not had to do it on a two way range. I have, however, been to several courses where seated stuff was done live and with sims. I had a co-worker with 20 years+, much of it in Tactical, shoot himself on a square range.

If I ever have to do the seated AIWB draw for real I don't want do the bad guy's job for him.

pat

I always thought that Israeli carry was because they were trying to solve a slightly different problem.

American civilian carry is mostly aimed at robbery/rape defense, which is most often a one defender vs N attacker problem, in a environment that discourages drawing without clear justification.

I've never been to Israel, but my impression is that the problem they were trying to solve was a terrorist pulling out an AK in a crowd, so a one attacker/many defender situation. If the crowd has 25 people, 5 of whom are armed, the crowd as a whole will still win the fight even carrying with empty chambers, and you will reduce the number of ND's among lightly trained defenders.

Just speculating, happy to be corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Largely both. There's a ton of information here from recognized experts in fields and topics from weapon selection to post-shooting legal advise.

Sometimes it helps to put what you're talking about in context. A .8X second draw to first shot is excellent. In and of itself isn't not a winning gun fight strategy. Is that the context we're discussing here?

From another recent thread (on the value of timers)I posted this:

Because I'm a believer in "tell us how you know what you know" and you're new, I was a detective in a rather busy Homicide & Robbery office for 6 years. I started keeping detailed stats on citizens defending themselves vs random crime (as in not targeted, no domestics, no drug-dealer turf wars, no police actions, just regular folks minding their own business confronted by violent crime) and have been in a gunfight myself. Certain trends developed on why people won or lost, and one was that draw speed matters to a point in a sub-set of shootings, but the ability to find or create an opening and exploit a weak spot in the opponent's OODA loop mattered more. You can't outdraw a drawn gun vs an attentive bad guy who's willing to pull the trigger. The ability to find or make an opening, present a functioning firearm, and pull the trigger was a winning strategy whereas hell-for-leather under direct observation wasn't.

So while the times are of interest, they are only one part of determining the viability. How much easier is it to create a malfunction while attempting to rack the gun on presentation? If entangled? If knocked to the ground? If injured? Some combination?

If you choose to carry on an empty chamber, my recommendation is to carry a revolver. Harder to shoot yourself, an empty chamber under the hammer only reduces capacity by one instead of mandating additional handling, and the trade off for reduced capacity vs a magazine fed is a negligible factor in random violence encounters. Targeted, capacity comes into play more often. More dedicated attackers, longer distances, etc. But for Joe Random carrying in case of a mugger, not an issue.

As far as carrying in a pocket with a finger on the trigger, not with a finger in the trigger but I certainly knocked on some doors with my hand on a gun in my coat pocket. Pocket draw works very well against street robberies as the suspect intends for you to reach in your pocket. Very few (but not zero) street robbers patted down a victim before telling them to empty their pockets. Verbal indications of compliance to set expectations, not moving fast until it was time to move fast, disguising the draw, they resulted in wins. I don't know what a timer would say, likely not impressive, but they weren't reacting to a timer, they weren't reacting at all. They were forcing the bad guy to react.

So while that ranges a bit far afield of just empty chamber carry, that's the sort of discussion about if something is viable or not for defensive use over pure draw speed on a timer. Which, again, is not irrelevant in a subset of gunfights and I'd much rather be faster then slower, but it's only one part of the equation. Empty chamber carry adds nothing in terms of winning gun fights and can only hurt. It can mitigate risks in carrying, but those are best mitigated in other ways. So, yes, it's viable but I don't see how it's best practice outside of very specific circumstances such as those that lead the Israelis to use it originally.
    Man, I’m glad you’re here on PF.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    I always thought that Israeli carry was because they were trying to solve a slightly different problem.

American civilian carry is mostly aimed at robbery/rape defense, which is most often a one defender vs N attacker problem, in a environment that discourages drawing without clear justification.

I've never been to Israel, but my impression is that the problem they were trying to solve was a terrorist pulling out an AK in a crowd, so a one attacker/many defender situation. If the crowd has 25 people, 5 of whom are armed, the crowd as a whole will still win the fight even carrying with empty chambers, and you will reduce the number of ND's among lightly trained defenders.

Just speculating, happy to be corrected.
    That threat / reponse came later.

When Israel was founded it was a former British protectorate with large numbers of untrained or minimally trained people and a random mix of what ever handguns the could get their hands on, many of which were not drop safe and/or did not have effective manual safeties.

The “Israeli carry” method was already established when the threat you describe emerges.

As discussed the method is no longer in use by the professionals in the military and police there.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Dragoon View Post
    Great insight...thank you.
    NP.

If you'd like a deeper dive, I highly recommend this book: https://www.amazon.com/Straight-Talk.../dp/1440247544

Several of the contributing authors are members here.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

If you choose to carry . . . my recommendation is to carry a revolver.
    The most important quote of the thread.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Welcome to the forum.

This thread has merit on the mechanics, of which you clearly have a high level of proficiency. It kind of lacks on the overall concept. Good thread but could have saved some of the sour grapes with a bit more clarity on the context.

I look forward to any high level practioner posting here. Please assume that 90% of posters have the best of intentions and give them the benefit of the doubt. If you can assume no ill will you'll usually get the same in return. You'll like be able to pass on a lot of knowledge, and gain even more.

NP.

If you'd like a deeper dive, I highly recommend this book: https://www.amazon.com/Straight-Talk.../dp/1440247544

Several of the contributing authors are members here.
    Thanks for that as well.....just ordered the book. I took a few classes with Mas back in the day....early 80's, Chuck Taylor as well. I need to stay current so I appreciate your insight once again.

Cool Just ordered the book myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Green Dragoon View Post
    Thanks for that as well.....just ordered the book. I took a few classes with Mas back in the day....early 80's, Chuck Taylor as well. I need to stay current so I appreciate your insight once again.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    How many takes total on the Israeli stuff as I noticed multiple targets and a hole count exceeding those on video

Why did you need wear a glove on you left when racking your optically equipped pistol?

Do you have any tape of your results running a gun with no optic and not wearing a glove as that configuration is far more common?

You presently have seven posts to date all revolving around how fast you are.

Many of those on the forum who have been here since day one and/or who trained with TLG see this as kind of a University for Pistolcraft which creates and shares its collective knowledge.

What knowledge were you trying to create or share?

Who are the three or four most renowned folks you have trained with and what would they think of your Israeli style video?

caveats
    1. you are faster than me
    2. I do not have a reliable sub 1 sec draw from concealment at 1-2 meters beyond minute of man accuracy at best
    3. I have never trained Israeli style with an empty chamber
    4. Tom Givens/Randy Cain/Pat Rogers (RIP)/TLG (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I don’t know? Just one range session. My goal initially was to do sub-second (which I could do center mass) reliably. That turned out to be pretty easy, so I went for speed, hence the multiple tries and holes.

The videos aren’t in order so you can see that a later one is actually the clean sheet target. I tried different one handed techniques at slower speed to not shoot myself so that’s some of the other holes. The leg target was shot at a different part of the range because someone came to shoot there and I wanted to do it undistracted.

I didn’t do it with no optic because I’m committed to dots on my guns, even my carry guns. Plus an optic gives more safety margin on the one hand racking to avoid muzzling leg on the way out.

Gloves was because it was 25 degrees out and I was cold. I was wearing gloves on both hands but took off my strong one to help me feel things better.

Knowledge to share was that unchambered draw is faster than I thought it would be. There really aren’t any videos on it from fast people. All the videos I saw were comparing slow chambered draws to slower unchambered draws.

And those skills are potentially useful in clearing malfunctions if you were injured or couldn’t get your weak hand on the gun.

Shannon Smith, Aaron Cowan, Ben Stoeger, Hwansik Kim, Larry Vickers, Bob Vogel, John Lovell

They’d all think it was ridiculous, as do I.

I’m technically self taught, but the above are the instructional videos that helped me learn.

Every now and then something genuinely makes me chuckle...

VCD asked our new member about his training resume/who he has trained under, referencing people he has trained under himself.

The reply is to name some known names in the industry, however, with the caveat that "technically" he has not done any actual training with them, but he has seen them on Youtube!

I don't know if I have told you guys, I am a three time combat vet. I have seen Rambo 1, Rambo 2 AND Rambo 3! I am pretty salty.

Just wait for my videos!

User Tag List