Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ATF's Big Moves in the AR/AK Pistol Arena

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    So I could by a brace now, not have to pay the $200 fee if this passes and then switch it out to an actual stock without paying for another stamp? I may pick one up just for this reason.
    Only up until yesterday. That “deal” only applied to guns acquired before the policy change was published- which was today.

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    So I could by a brace now, not have to pay the $200 fee if this passes and then switch it out to an actual stock without paying for another stamp? I may pick one up just for this reason.
    Now I wish I'd bought several pistol lowers.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I don't own an AR/AK pistol. I'm still on-board with the fight to stop this in it's tracks (write/call/email/draft copy/paste letters for the masses/show up at the Statehouse) because if we lose this one, the next fight will be for my guns.

Site Supporter
    Where do they get the authority to waive a tax? Sounds like a bait and switch. The whole NFA sees to be abolished.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    Where do they get the authority to waive a tax? Sounds like a bait and switch. The whole NFA sees to be abolished.
    That is an interesting question.

Site Supporter
    I suspect they know it is not an NFA item and the tax is not required. If they said you cannot shoulder a brace? Ok- that is a clear cut rule/interpretation. It is my understanding that my 870 Tac 14 is a non NFA firearm until I conceal it. Then it becomes an AOW. They need to make things easier; not more difficult.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Only up until yesterday. That “deal” only applied to guns acquired before the policy change was published- which was today.
    Yesterday was when the proposed rule was released for public comment.

My understanding is "the date of this notice" is not effective until the actual rule is "published" in the federal register.

@joshs would know for sure.

I bought my DDM4 V7P in 2018, so I reckon that makes me “eligible” for consideration, but I originally bought the weapon because its status as a legal pistol fit some legal niches, in some jurisdictions, not because I wanted an SBR-ish play-toy. I actually want its legality as a braced pistol to continue, though, well, I reckon that if I am offered an amnesty period to legally SBR the thing, I might as well take advantage of the opportunity.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I bought my DDM4 V7P in 2018, so I reckon that makes me “eligible” for consideration, but I originally bought the weapon because its status as a legal pistol fit some legal niches, in some jurisdictions, not because I wanted an SBR-ish play-toy. I actually want its legality as a braced pistol to continue, though, well, I reckon that if I am offered an amnesty period to legally SBR the thing, I might as well take advantage of the opportunity.
    Or ditch the brace, and still be able to bag, drive, and cross state lines with the gear. JMO. Much like yourself, if I wanted another rifle in my life, I would have found a rifle.

16” vs 10” is just not a factor. I’m not willing to beg for 6 inches. Unlike @LittleLebowski ‘s mom...*

* (I kid, I kid... please don’t have a drunken P-F’er kill me.)
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I have 1 braced AR pistol and 2 SBRs. I already have a 16" LW upper on order to replace the 11.5" upper on my pistol.

Frankly while I could get a free SBR lower out of this, I will probably pass. The 16" LW sionics upper is much nicer than the "el cheap-o" 11.5" PSA upper it will be replacing, and the hassle of sending it for engraving and filing the paper work doesn't really feel worthwhile for a PSA bullet hose.

will probably just keep the upper as a spare or something if I don't sell it off first.

User Tag List