Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diversified Machine Raided by ATF 20201217

Diversified Machine Raided by ATF 20201217

Diversified Machine was raided this evening by the ATF. They supposedly confiscated all the computers, cells and the entire inventory on hand. This company makes parts for DIY form 1 suppressors for those not familiar with the business.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/...TFE/5-2403456/

Hopefully more information will pop up soon, apologies in advance for the ARFcom link, best I could find on short notice...
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Man, ATF on a roll lately.

Elections have consequences I suppose.

Site Supporter
    No surprise. This has been happening at other “form 1 suppressor kit” makers since 2019.

Given the statutory definition of what constitutes a “silencer” under 18 USC 921 (24) the whole idea of having even an “80%”. Suppressor parts kit without having a form 1 first is super gray / shakey.

(24)  The terms “firearm silencer” and “firearm muffler” mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.
    As you can see the definition of a silencer in terms of “any combination of parts” is much broader than with firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    No surprise. This has been happening at other “form 1 suppressor kit” makers since 2019.

Given the statutory definition of what constitutes a “silencer” under 18 USC 921 (24) the whole idea of having even an “80%”. Suppressor parts kit without having a form 1 first is super gray / shakey.

As you can see the definition of a silencer in terms of “any combination of parts” is much broader than with firearms.
    Meaning my stock of oil filters and maglites are suppressors.

I get that's how it's written, but suppressors are tubes with holes in them. They are easily made with the most basic fabrication skills and common off the shelf materials. That's like saying I can't have any lumber in my house unless I have a permit to build a deck.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Meaning my stock of oil filters and maglites are suppressors.
    No.

Read the statute again, with less hyperbole.

The ATF are obviously not going after shade-tree mechanics or people who collect maglites, nor would the law support that.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    No.

The ATF are obviously not going after shade-tree mechanics or people who collect maglites, nor would the law support that.
    Yeah - the intent part is pretty clear in what you quoted. It doesn’t mean you won’t get jammed up in a spurious prosecution, but I personally doubt that would happen unless you’re already an asshole under the microscope.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    No.

This ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Yeah - the intent part is pretty clear in what you quoted. It doesn’t mean you won’t get jammed up in a spurious prosecution, but I personally doubt that would happen unless you’re already an asshole under the microscope.
    We have an agent like that. Dude likes to push the envelope on NFA legalities just to make a point, has been visited by the ATF repeatedly and detained by locals several times. The dude basically asks for it; it's like a past-time for him. He's also got some form of FFL (or used to, at least) and was real big on Form 1'ing suppressors.....so I'm curious if he's going to get caught up in all this.

Last time I was with him, he was still on hold from being administratively promoted and still at an entry-grade like someone in the academy.....so it'd probably be the final nail in the coffin if he ends up getting caught up in this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This ^^^
    In case that wasn't enough, let's all hold hands in a pentagram formation, make a sacrifice of @joshs in the center and we can summon @DMF13 to further explain it.

*laughs in demonic troll voice*

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Man, ATF on a roll lately.

Elections have consequences I suppose.
    Yup, they’re off leash.
    #RESIST

User Tag List