Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Belt Width Preferences - What and Why?

1.5".
    Because I'm a regular guy---non LEO/Military/etc.---who strives to wear regular gear so that I'm not standing out as THAT guy.

I have a ridiculous amount of 1.5" belts. My current Fav is a DM bullard leather for work wear. Outside of that I prefer a wilderness. I also have *1* 1.75" 5.11 Operator belt, but that's only for my Praetor Defense holster.
    " One of the tribesmen in Thrace now delights in the shield I discarded /Unwillingly near a bush, for it was perfectly good /But at least I got myself safely out. Why should I care for that shield? / Let it go. Some other time I'll find another no worse. - Archilochus
    "To take the uninstructed to war is to throw them away" - Confucious

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    1.5".
    Because I'm a regular guy---non LEO/Military/etc.---who strives to wear regular gear so that I'm not standing out as THAT guy.
    Let's be honest though, unless you're carrying a pistol IWB tucked in with your spare in a pocket or IWB tucked in, then no sees your belt. And if you do tuck all that in, then you are already at a severe disadvantage - despite the 1.5" belt. And at that point, it better be a plain Jane leather, so as not to look "tactical".

Listen, no one gives two craps what kind of belt you have on when out in public. And a 1/4" difference surely doesn't matter.

I'm all for hearing the pros and cons of each (and they do exist), but to think that a 1/4" of belt width is the separation between dressing "tactical" or "civilian" is just ridiculous.

Thank you all for your responses thus far, I' primarily concerned with belts that will never be seen because of the fact my shirts won't be tucked in and I'm looking for highest concealment and comfort. Tucked in attire, I feel, is a different ball game.

Site Supporter
    My two most worn belts are both 1.5". An Ares Gear Ranger Belt and a Beltman. Both are stable, fit all my pants, and as BOM said, every high quality (long wait) holster i've picked up second hand as been for a 1.5" belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S. View Post
    Let's be honest though, unless you're carrying a pistol IWB tucked in with your spare in a pocket or IWB tucked in, then no sees your belt. And if you do tuck all that in, then you are already at a severe disadvantage - despite the 1.5" belt. And at that point, it better be a plain Jane leather, so as not to look "tactical".

Listen, no one gives two craps what kind of belt you have on when out in public. And a 1/4" difference surely doesn't matter.

I'm all for hearing the pros and cons of each (and they do exist), but to think that a 1/4" of belt width is the separation between dressing "tactical" or "civilian" is just ridiculous.
    Not ridiculous.

The difference is that the pants that regular guys wear generally can accommodate only up to 1.5" belts.

Maybe my shopping experience is limited-----and it probably is, because I like to buy, but hate to shop-----but pants with larger loops might be only the more 'tactical' pants that I avoid.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    Not ridiculous.

The difference is that the pants that regular guys wear generally can accommodate only up to 1.5" belts.

Maybe my shopping experience is limited-----and it probably is, because I like to buy, but hate to shop-----but pants with larger loops might be only the more 'tactical' pants that I avoid.

YMMV
    My last post might have sounded hostile, but I can assure you it's not the intent. Hard to tell tone over written words and all that.

I'm a big fan of 1.75" belts, and when I recommend them for honest, whole hearted reasons - I often run into this argument. And i honestly think it's total BS. I have nothing against 1.50" belts, but most think that 1.75" belts are uncomfortable or make you look like Matt Damon from Green Zone - and I don't think either are true. Every person who ended up getting a 1.75" belt per my recommendation later tells me they wish they had sooner.

I don't own a single pair of tactical pants. No 5.11, EOTAC, or even civilian line Woolrich. I have dress pants, work pants, and jeans from Kohls, Target, and a couple pairs of Lucky. It's simple, if you own a 1.75" belt, just check future pants before purchase. I find maybe 10% of pants have 1.5" maximum - and it's usually dress slacks. Hell, my wife wears a 1.75" Atlas anytime she shoots, and all her jeans can run 1.75".

This is all one man's opinion, obviously.

all my clothes except my dress pants take 1.75.

1.5 fits all my belt loops (Im not sure what kinds of pants you guys where but 1.75 wouldnt fit anything I own except 1 or 2 pairs of 5.11's) and is sturdy enough to carry any gear I need/want to carry.
    Pittsburgh, PA host for www.aliastraining.com , and www.shivworks.com

www.anti-fragile.net

I wear a 1.75 daily and it works with every pair of pants that I own. Gap (khakis and jeans), Levi's, Lefties khakis that I got in Spain, and Target Mossimo shorts.

Also, It's has a fairly conventional looking buckle and I've never had a single person comment that it's out of place. And it passed the all important, "hipster fiance doesn't absolutely hate it" test.
    I train to be better than I was yesterday. -F2S

User Tag List