Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PMM Integrated Rear Sight (IDRS)

That is ingenious, and has me wondering if, instead of picking up a 26 MOS when they get here, if I would do better to have them mill my current 26.5 for an RMR with no rear sight dovetail. I’d want to see how tall of a front blade is needed for it first, though.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    That is ingenious, and has me wondering if, instead of picking up a 26 MOS when they get here, if I would do better to have them mill my current 26.5 for an RMR with no rear sight dovetail. I’d want to see how tall of a front blade is needed for it first, though.
    Why would you choose this over just having them mill your current 26 and leaving the stock dovetail in place and using a standard sight? This wouldn't reduce the necessary height of the sights since the notch still has to be high enough to be above the optic body.

For cases where you CAN'T have a rear dovetail, like a G43x, this would be an excellent option since there isn't another standard alternative. I would just think going with a standard dovetail and sight would be a better option if it is available since you'd have more options for fine tuning your sights to something you prefer and has proven durability.

Pretty cool. Only makes sense (to me anyway) on platforms that don’t have a rear sight channel like the 320, Q4/5, CZ SP01/TSO, etc.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    Why would you choose this over just having them mill your current 26 and leaving the stock dovetail in place and using a standard sight? This wouldn't reduce the necessary height of the sights since the notch still has to be high enough to be above the optic body.

For cases where you CAN'T have a rear dovetail, like a G43x, this would be an excellent option since there isn't another standard alternative. I would just think going with a standard dovetail and sight would be a better option if it is available since you'd have more options for fine tuning your sights to something you prefer and has proven durability.
    As I said, it would depend on the front sight height - my personal decision point is based on that. It may be a way of getting something lower than suppressor sights when combined with the lowest possible cut. I’ll let others go first, though.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

As I said, it would depend on the front sight height - my personal decision point is based on that. It may be a way of getting something lower than suppressor sights when combined with the lowest possible cut. I’ll let others go first, though.
    You'd still have to use suppressor height sights. The height of the rear sight will still have to be high enough for the notch to clear the optic body. The fact that the rear sight is now on top of the optic instead of in front/behind it won't change that.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    You'd still have to use suppressor height sights. The height of the rear sight will still have to be high enough for the notch to clear the optic body. The fact that the rear sight is now on top of the optic instead of in front/behind it won't change that.
    I’m shooting a different RDS equipped 43x right now that doesn’t use suppression sights - I have no idea if a 26 can be cut that low with an RMR, but I’ll keep my mind open. My point is the combination of a low direct cut such as what Maple Leaf offers and no adapter plate may just be enough to get me there, and this sight would allow for the rear dovetail to be obliterated and the sight moved more to the rear.
    Ken

That's really neat. Not for every application, but ingenious for the ones that need it.

I could see it being tricky picking a matching front sight since RMR cuts vary so much in depth... But it's a damn clever idea.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    I could see it being tricky picking a matching front sight since RMR cuts vary so much in depth... But it's a damn clever idea.
    You just gave me a product idea, at least for Glocks - printed Nylon front sights in different sizes solely for the purpose of determining POI so you only have to order a real sight once. It would be a good Shapeways project...
    Ken

You just gave me a product idea, at least for Glocks - printed Nylon front sights in different sizes solely for the purpose of determining POI so you only have to order a real sight once. It would be a good Shapeways project...
    Someone, 10-8 I think, used to offer such a product. It was a pack of a few different height front sights made of plastic that you could also file down to get your exact required height. No clue if they still offer it, though. It was a clever idea. My Glocks were always unique critters when it came to POA/POI.

I checked their website and Dawson’s (in case I was mistaken about who offered it). I don’t see any such product listed.

User Tag List