Thread: 5x's marksmanship drill

5x's marksmanship drill

I recently came up with a drill to work on pure marksmanship that is tiered and could essentially have no performance ceiling as long as you have the skill to perform. I combined a few drills I previously used. It is slowfire and gun neutral (5 round strings) so you can run it with anything from a j frame to an open gun.

Target - b8 x-ring.
    Starting distance - 5 yards (though you could start anywhere you want)
    Start position - ready

Course of fire - simply fire 5 rounds freestyle at the b8 x-ring. If all five rounds are hits to the x-ring, then fire 5 rounds strong hand only. If all 5 rounds hit the x-ring, then fire 5 rounds weak hand only. If you successfully get all 15 hits then your score is 5 yards. Then move back. I will probably use 5 yard increments but you can use whatever increments you feel comfortable with as 5 is a pretty large jump in difficulty. It is a combination of my stoplight drill and classic walkbacks, that has near limitless tiers for performance tracking. Work on fs hits at 5 until you clean it then once you can do that regularly you can move to sho then who. Adding yardage is only limited by your range and skillset. It can work indoor or outside as it is ran from the ready. Since it is slowfire it is caliber neutral as well as capacity neutral being only 5 rounds per string. As a cold or final drill it doesn't take up much of your ammunition for these current low round count sessions that many are finding themselves in.

There are lots of marksmanship drills out there. This one may be appealing to those who find 25 yard b8's daunting since it is easily scalable to skillset. If you decide to try it then let me know your thoughts and share results here if inclined, as I always enjoy the feedback.

WC Brigadier Tactical converted to DAO w d spring and .22 conversion.

5 yards

NoGo - 14/15 hits to the x-ring.

FS - 5/5 Go

SHO - 4/5 NoGo

WHO - 5/5 Go

I got complacent on a SHO shot and broke it high. Definitely took some concentration to make sure it got them all stacked in the x-ring but the smooth dao trigger is helping me with anticipation issues.

Hammertime
    I like this. Sort like Dot Torture but gets more to the point on the most important parts of that drill and wastes less ammo.

I rather like this drill for dry fire/laser pulse cartridge. Been running it at 5 and 10 yards with both a P30/irons in DA and a VP9/RDS with a cadence as fast as I can manage (running the trigger DA on the P30 and with slide resets on the VP9).

It’s helped me with managing grip pressure. RDS groups tend to run a bit low due to offset at the relatively close distances.

Example is a cherry-picked 10 round group dry-fired DAO with the P30 at 10 yards. It’s surprising how well this carries over to live fire.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Live rapid fire failure drills, 25 yards, with the VP9L and SRO tonight, after a couple of days drilling dry with this. Average splits ~0.30-0.50 on the doubles and nearly a full second for the head.

(The little holes are from a VP9 GGB airsoft at 10 and 15 yards, just playing a bit)

I think I can safely say this drill does not hinder live fire performance.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List