Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-Remington M-870?

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    I'd love it if someone made an 870 with a Mossberg-style tang safety.

I'd love it even more if someone made a DA/SA 870 with a decocker/safety, but I realize I'm like... the only person on earth who'd buy one.
    Well that makes four of us. If we can swing a couple more we'll rival .41 Mag fan club in numbers.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    The future of the 870 was on my mind.

We had a thread on here of someone trying to source some 14" guns for his LE agency and having trouble.

I wonder if Remington's issues will force the agencies that are still running 870s to divest of them. In the short term, that might mean a glut of them on the surplus market? Dunno.

There's enough of them out there it might be in someone's best interest to keep making parts for them. Will their be enough future demand for somebody to keep making them, an compete with all the used examples out there?

Dunno. One wild card is future state and federal legislation that might make them an attractive thing to own vs. semi-auto rifles and shotguns.
    I look at the Remington 870 a lot like a small block Chevy (or even LS at this point). They are so abundant and prolific that someone stepping up with the parts to keep them going is, in my opinion, an inevitability. It has already been done with the 700 pattern. The uncertainty in AWB legislation and the almost universal acceptability of the lowly shotgun certainly makes the business case for entering that realm much more attractive.

One thing from talking to some friends who worked for Big Green and who have been following this shitshow has been (like I mentioned earlier) the new ownership’s reluctance to do anything too tactical. They don’t want to upset the shareholders that own the Remington name now or get a bunch of attention from the harpies like Shannon Watts. So I’d almost bet some money that the guns like the Tac-13 and Tac-14 will be gone. Same for the 870DM. The 18”/extended tube guns and 14” guns, I’d give it a 50/50 at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Well that makes four of us. If we can swing a couple more we'll rival .41 Mag fan club in numbers.
    Mosberg made a DAO version of the 500 and/or 590 for about 15 minutes some decades ago. I think the reason they didn't take off is 1) most people didn't see the need (even if it was valid) and 2) I've heard it was a really bad trigger, though I've never handled one.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Mosberg made a DAO version of the 500 and/or 590 for about 15 minutes some decades ago. I think the reason they didn't take off is 1) most people didn't see the need (even if it was valid) and 2) I've heard it was a really bad trigger, though I've never handled one.

You heard correctly. I had the "honor" of firing one, the trigger was indeed horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I wonder if many of the 870 shotguns snapped up during the panic will be sold when things "return to normal" -- aka "cash is needed".
    Probably about 30 days before taxes are due.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Lol.

Does it help that I like 41 mag also?
    My nursing school classmate had a nickel model 57 with i think a 5 inch barrel. My favorite revolver to shoot ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    Lol.

Does it help that I like 41 mag also?
    My nursing school classmate had a nickel model 57 with i think a 5 inch barrel. My favorite revolver to shoot ever.
    I like .32 mag so that probably evens us up.
    Julius Caesar

I like .32 mag so that probably evens us up.
    And I've developed a love affair with the .32 ACP, so... I guess we all belong on the Island of Misfit Toys.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    And I've developed a love affair with the .32 ACP, so... I guess we all belong on the Island of Misfit Toys.
    Ohhh! I have some of those as well! It's a fun little cartridge and I've found myself hunting down turn of the (19th) century .32s.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    You heard correctly. I had the "honor" of firing one, the trigger was indeed horrible.
    IIRC they were a mid-90s to early 2000s visit from the Good Idea Fairy? There was all sorts of questionable "safety" stuff that hit the market then.

A friend of mine bought a Remington bolt gun with the safety that required a key to operate during that era. I want to say it was a Model 7 in .260 Remington. The safety was entirely superfluous because the gun had an incredibly heavy trigger pull. I honestly thought the safety was still on the first time I shot it. We used to joke that there was a difference between a "surprise break" and "I wonder if this gun will actually go off."
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List