Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-Remington M-870?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Email that idea to Henry. They're making single barrels, so maybe there's hope for a pump.
    At the going rate for one of those single barrel 12's that Henry is selling......nobody is going to buy a pump action from them.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    I'd love it if someone made an 870 with a Mossberg-style tang safety.
    Hopefully one that doesn't break or spontaneously engage when the gun gets some wear like the mossberg safety.
    3/15/2016

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Until the latest panic, gun stores never sold out of 870 shotguns. The sheer amount of used models was enough to dampen demand for a clone, especially as the real thing was available for $300 or less. I wonder if many of the 870 shotguns snapped up during the panic will be sold when things "return to normal" -- aka "cash is needed".
    I don't think people are going to be giving up the guns they've acquired during all this nonsense.
    3/15/2016

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Until the latest panic, gun stores never sold out of 870 shotguns. The sheer amount of used models was enough to dampen demand for a clone, especially as the real thing was available for $300 or less. I wonder if many of the 870 shotguns snapped up during the panic will be sold when things "return to normal" -- aka "cash is needed".
    I was thinking there might be some nice Wingmasters coming available, but not yet.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I don't think people are going to be giving up the guns they've acquired during all this nonsense.
    I would have to agree. If they made the effort to go out and get them during 2020, it will probably be a long while before whatever motivated them is in the rear view mirror.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Not sure I agree seeing what is being pawned right now at the LGS. We will see if the pawn loans are paid in full or if the guns will be on the shelves 90 days after default.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    I'd love it if someone made an 870 with a Mossberg-style tang safety.

I'd love it even more if someone made a DA/SA 870 with a decocker/safety, but I realize I'm like... the only person on earth who'd buy one.
    What to my non engineer mind would be easiest would be replacing the internal hammer with a Glock style “Safe Action” setup. The trigger would end up like a two stage rifle trigger. I’m fine with the button safety as you still need something since the trigger won’t be protected by a holster. A tang safety that worked as a SCD could also probably be designed but I’ve never been fond of them.

As long as it takes 870 barrels, stocks, mag extensions and what not, it’s all good.

Site Supporter
    Until the latest panic, gun stores never sold out of 870 shotguns.
    Lots driving this particular drought though.
    • The near constant panic of 2020 (lockdowns/shutdowns, riots, election, more shutdowns, etc.)
    • Remington's financial state of not even being able to buy material to make stuff.
    • The CEO (D'Arcy) liquidating anything that wasn't nailed down (and some stuff that was) to include parts to actually make the guns that there was demand for.
    • Cuomo not considering Remington's operations essential and shutting them down, so no new inventory in the pipeline.
    • The new owners not really having a clue on much of anything in the gun world.
    • Vista (who the new owners appear to be licensing the Remington name from) having a very, very anti-tactical view on the world so who knows if "tactical" 870s will come back.

The sheer amount of used models was enough to dampen demand for a clone, especially as the real thing was available for $300 or less. I wonder if many of the 870 shotguns snapped up during the panic will be sold when things "return to normal" -- aka "cash is needed".
    Yeah . . . I've lamented that I should have bought as many of the Police 870 trade ins that B&H in Merritt Island would let me back a decade or so ago. They just had them laying behind the counter like cord wood and they were cheeeeeeeeaaaaappp because nobody wanted shotguns anymore. I could probably have paid for a substantial amount of my new truck with a big pelican case full of old Police Magnums this year.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

The future of the 870 was on my mind.

We had a thread on here of someone trying to source some 14" guns for his LE agency and having trouble.

I wonder if Remington's issues will force the agencies that are still running 870s to divest of them. In the short term, that might mean a glut of them on the surplus market? Dunno.

There's enough of them out there it might be in someone's best interest to keep making parts for them. Will their be enough future demand for somebody to keep making them, an compete with all the used examples out there?

Dunno. One wild card is future state and federal legislation that might make them an attractive thing to own vs. semi-auto rifles and shotguns.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Hopefully one that doesn't break or spontaneously engage when the gun gets some wear like the mossberg safety.
    That's why I said "Mossberg-like"

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

User Tag List