Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-Remington M-870?

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Mosberg made a DAO version of the 500 and/or 590 for about 15 minutes some decades ago. I think the reason they didn't take off is 1) most people didn't see the need (even if it was valid) and 2) I've heard it was a really bad trigger, though I've never handled one.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    You heard correctly. I had the "honor" of firing one, the trigger was indeed horrible.
    I bought a T&E model for my little 1.2 man agency. The trigger wasn't great by any means, but was good enough to bust clays with an XS Big Dot and cut down stock. And it gave me warm fuzzies that it wouldn't go off if it hit the deck with a round chambered. I'd buy it in a heartbeat given the chance.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Very cool, I am glad to read they got one right. The trigger on the example of one that I handled was really gritty, almost as if someone had filled it with sand. The action also cycled really rough. This was even after we lubed the bejebbers out of it.

I wanted it to work, for exactly the same reasons you mentioned. We may have just got one that slipped past the QC checks.

Site Supporter
    Speaking of tang safety vs cross bolt safety.

Does the tang not offer some benefit by keeping your trigger finger away from the trigger? Where as the cross bolt has you putting fingers very close to the trigger, possibly before you shoot.

I am anything but a shotgun expert, so I am asking this question to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    What was the novel with the hitman who used a Dan Wesson .41 Mag because he could secrete it disassembled in a camera case?
    The novel was "The Evil that Men Do". The revolver was a S&W m57 that had been author customized. The main character also used a sawed off 12 gauge and a 38 super.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post

Does the tang not offer some benefit by keeping your trigger finger away from the trigger? Where as the cross bolt has you putting fingers very close to the trigger, possibly before you shoot.

Tang safeties are ambidextrous. Also, when running a line, an FI can see the condition of the safety much easier than on an 870. 870 safeties can be either right or lefty friendly, but not both at the same time. Cheap LE agencies like ambi guns so they can pool issue, instead of purchasing enough guns for individual officer issue.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    I’m just amazed that we don’t have a company making boutique 870s and parts like we have for Glocks, 1911s or even Remington 700 rifles. You’d think at some point someone would have said “I can make that better”. They did for every other popular firearm...
    I think it will come now since there's a Ilion sized hole in the market that is begging to be filled. Downside to starting something up is there would be a big capital investment for some of that stuff if you want to do it right. Now, there's defnitely money to be made on keeping old guns up and running with replacement/upgrade parts or armory services. Right now I'm waiting on some backordered spare parts from Brownells for a couple police magnums that I don't even know if I'll ever see.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    Now, there's defnitely money to be made on keeping old guns up and running with replacement/upgrade parts or armory services.
    Exactly, some enterprising soul needs to segue from repairing 870s to making parts for them, then refurbish/customizing older LE and Wingmaster guns and then to making guns from scratch.

Now I’m wishing I hadn’t passed on attending armorer school when we hosted it, but I’m too old and cranky to run a business anyway...

You would think Wilson would be on it. They've been doing 870 stuff forever. Seems like 870s would be easier to build than quality 1911s.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post

Nobody ever mistook me to be an expert in anything. That said...

The way I use the safety in my 870, I take the gun off safe with the same motion of my trigger finger that I use to move it from its index point to the trigger. So my finger does not come close to the trigger until the intent to shoot exists and the sights are aligned with the target. The cross bolt safety (well, at least the lefty Fortmann safety in my 870) really is very quick, intuitive and easy to use. As long as you don't switch shoulders... At which point a tang safety starts to seem like a really good idea.

(The whole "should you switch shoulders" thing is of course a whole other conversation. Let's just say that in my area, long gun matches tend to have stages set up in a way that more or less makes switching necessary. So regardless of its "real world use", it is a necessary skill for me.)
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Site Supporter
    Once I trained on a S&W single shot break action tear gas gun. It had a double action trigger mechanism.

User Tag List