Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Non-Remington M-870?

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Until the latest panic, gun stores never sold out of 870 shotguns. The sheer amount of used models was enough to dampen demand for a clone, especially as the real thing was available for $300 or less. I wonder if many of the 870 shotguns snapped up during the panic will be sold when things "return to normal" -- aka "cash is needed".
    I have to wonder how many Rem 870 shotguns were made. The number must be in the millions. Just about everyone I've hunted with in the past 20 years had one. They might not have hunted upland with it but they had one to beat up hunting waterfowl. I bought a new one in 1970. As far as I know they were building them before that and have been building them ever since.

Edit
    Just googled it. 10 million by 2009. Introduced in 1950.
    Last edited by Borderland; 12-16-2020 at 10:42 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I have to wonder how many Rem 870 shotguns were made. The number must be in the millions. Just about everyone I've hunted with in the past 20 years had one. They might not have hunted upland with it but they had one to beat up hunting waterfowl. I bought a new one in 1970. As far as I know they were building them before that and have been building them ever since.

Edit
    Just googled it. 10 million by 2009. Introduced in 1950.
    The BATFE "Annual Firearms Manufacturers And Export Report" could shed some light on that. They don't break it down by action type, but the 2007-2018 have Remington making just over 3.7M shotguns at Ilion of all actions/gauges, though that data is a bit noisy. I tried to exclude the stuff from their R&D center (Kentucky and AL) and places that weren't making 870s (AL). The FFL stuff gets wonky around 09-10 as it looks like the H&R stuff got rolled in and then later everything (H&R and Remington) got all lumped together at their main distribution center across the state line from Memphis.
    Name:  SG_Production.JPG
Views: 725
Size:  28.1 KB
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    If it's any consolation, I'd be interested in a quality, upgraded 870 that addressed some of the model's weak points...especially if American made.
    Making the ejector and the magazine tube both screw-in parts (as opposed to riveted and brazed, respectively) are the two that stand out; the shell stop staking and what happens when it is insufficient has not been a major problem for most of the people I know with clapped out or minimally cared for 870s, but a dented magazine tube and a bad ejector discovered the week before hunting season can make otherwise thoughtful people downright brusque.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Well that makes four of us. If we can swing a couple more we'll rival .41 Mag fan club in numbers.
    I can see the appeal of a DA/SA shotgun, presuming the trigger in question was designed by Walther, CZ, Beretta, etc., such that it would be smooth and usable. I would be more inclined to want it to be a semi-auto than a pump, but "long gun that doesn't go boom when dropped" sounds good to me in general.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I can see the appeal of a DA/SA shotgun, presuming the trigger in question was designed by Walther, CZ, Beretta, etc., such that it would be smooth and usable. I would be more inclined to want it to be a semi-auto than a pump, but "long gun that doesn't go boom when dropped" sounds good to me in general.
    I doubt that will happen, the Mossy 'DA' pull shotguns weren't adapted by many agencies, and police and HD use of the shotgun is waning rather than waxing. I don't think most shotgun makers would find they would recoup their costs from such an endeavor.

JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I doubt that will happen, the Mossy 'DA' pull shotguns weren't adapted by many agencies, and police and HD use of the shotgun is waning rather than waxing. I don't think most shotgun makers would find they would recoup their costs from such an endeavor.

JMO
    No disagreement there. My assumption was that the little sidebar we were having about that concept was almost purely theoretical.

No disagreement there. My assumption was that the little sidebar we were having about that concept was almost purely theoretical.
    For some reason I don't think a DAO would be that good for an HD shotgun. My recollection from one experience with a Mossberg 'DA' trigger was that I couldn't shoot it as fast as an 870.

Now, a true DA/SA for a semi-auto would be more workable, you have what some describe as the 'safety' (I prefer 'deliberateness') of the DA pull and the precision/speed of the SA pull.

How much does it cost?
    I'll buy it
    The time is right
    I'll try it
    Some can't even run their own shotguns
    A DA/SA might be fine, sunshine

Apologies to Jonathan Edwards

SKB builds some great shotguns.

Attachment 67378 and they even have a few 14" LE for sale. When I lived in GA I purchased a few firearms from them never any problems.

Comedy option: LEM

I could see myself being very tempted by one and it may get more attention from regular buyers who've spent the past twenty years raised to fear the decocker.

User Tag List