Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Non-Remington M-870?

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    Making the ejector and the magazine tube both screw-in parts (as opposed to riveted and brazed, respectively) are the two that stand out; the shell stop staking and what happens when it is insufficient has not been a major problem for most of the people I know with clapped out or minimally cared for 870s, but a dented magazine tube and a bad ejector discovered the week before hunting season can make otherwise thoughtful people downright brusque.
    Interestingly, the H&R clones address both of those issues.

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by 167 View Post
    Interestingly, the H&R clones address both of those issues.
    I did not know that.

Even though mi casa is located in what could be construed as both shotgun country and skinflint territory, I have never seen anyone around here use - or even own - a Chinese-made "Pardner" 870 clone. A few Tex-Mex Mavericks, yes. Now you have got me curious.

One hopes new proprietors of the 870 might consider this a good time to actually improve the product by curing these two less-than-desirable issues. The curmudgeon in me automatically assumes that they won't, and that they will cut more corners on the 870s to boot.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Fix the ejector and mag tube. I’d think something along the line of Krieghoff double guns where the tang mounted safety decocks the hammer when moved to SAFE and the cocks the hammer when on FIRE would be an innovation.

Really as long as a clone used 870 barrels, stocks, forends and common action parts I’d think it would sell.

I did not know that.

Even though mi casa is located in what could be construed as both shotgun country and skinflint territory, I have never seen anyone around here use - or even own - a Chinese-made "Pardner" 870 clone. A few Tex-Mex Mavericks, yes. Now you have got me curious.

One hopes new proprietors of the 870 might consider this a good time to actually improve the product by curing these two less-than-desirable issues. The curmudgeon in me automatically assumes that they won't, and that they will cut more corners on the 870s to boot.
    Well, I misspoke. The magazine tube is removable, but the ejector is still riveted. At least it is on the 20ga version I have. 😔😔

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    You would think Wilson would be on it. They've been doing 870 stuff forever. Seems like 870s would be easier to build than quality 1911s.
    Right? Remember when they bought Scattergun Technologies? Why did they do that again?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I thought the entity that got the parts of Big Green that are considered "Remington" was essentially a front for one of the same execs who just ran it all into the ground. If my understanding is accurate, the bolded part seems a safe bet.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I thought the entity that got the parts of Big Green that are considered "Remington" was essentially a front for one of the same execs who just ran it all into the ground. If my understanding is accurate, the bolded part seems a safe bet.
    Alas, this is the world we now live in. God forbid a company and its officers (and shareholders) try to make a steady, reasonable dividend while providing the best damned good and/or service in which they specialize.

Easily owner-replaceable ejectors and magazine tubes aside, the thing I never "got" about the 870 - especially in LE/MIL form - was the fact that the receivers were not all drilled and tapped for a Weaver or picatinny rail.

Why nobody has yet come out with an 18" 870 barrel that comes with a piece of picatinny rail in place of - or even on top of - a vent rib (the rail cantilevering back over the receiver) is a mystery to me. "Versatile as a flattop AR with rails out to the flash hider, it would be."

(Said like Yoda.)

If Mossberg wasn't so busy building comic book shotguns, maybe they could try it too.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Easily owner-replaceable ejectors and magazine tubes aside, the thing I never "got" about the 870 - especially in LE/MIL form - was the fact that the receivers were not all drilled and tapped for a Weaver or picatinny rail.
    LE generally doesn't want to spend money upgrading shotguns. Arguably, bead sights are as fast as, or faster than ghost rings and even an optic, for the average LEO. Additionally, many agencies don't allow their officers to carry slugs.

So in that respect, historically there hasn't been the demand for receivers drilled and tapped for rails.

Agree, though, that Remington has been behind the power curve on this for the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by 167 View Post
    Well, I misspoke. The magazine tube is removable, but the ejector is still riveted. At least it is on the 20ga version I have. 😔😔
    I have never felt the mag tube being soldered/brazed to the receiver was a problem. Always felt otherwise on the Mossberg's, at least the 500's.

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    Right? Remember when they bought Scattergun Technologies? Why did they do that again?
    I suspect this is a rhetorical question, but I sincerely do not know the answer to it!

User Tag List