Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Non-Remington M-870?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    I had an early USP and the spring that controlled the SA trigger function came adrift making it a sometimes SA/Da gun. H&K fixed it but I really couldn’t bring myself to rely on it after that. OTOH I saw 870s that were absolutely appallingly ignored as LEO duty guns and they kept chugging along.

I’m just amazed that we don’t have a company making boutique 870s and parts like we have for Glocks, 1911s or even Remington 700 rifles. You’d think at some point someone would have said “I can make that better”. They did for every other popular firearm...
    You mean like Vang Comp or Wilson Combat???

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattvya View Post
    You mean like Vang Comp or Wilson Combat???
    Correct me if I’m wrong, I believe Wilson and Vang take guns out of the green Remington box and proceed to Wilson or Vang them into submission. It looks like Wilson is showing their 870 variants as discontinued.

Where I can have a dozen AR rifles and not one with “Colt” stamped anywhere on it these are still Remington base guns and dependent on the Big Green mothership to birth them. I’m curious as to why there is no Palmetto 870 where nothing on it was ever near Ilion NY.
    Last edited by Rick R; 03-23-2021 at 05:45 AM.

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Where I can have a dozen AR rifles and not one with “Colt” stamped anywhere on it these are still Remington base guns and dependent on the Big Green mothership to birth them. I’m curious as to why there is no Palmetto 870 where nothing on it was ever near Ilion NY.
    Point taken. As in so much, "timing is everything," and the 870 is going through a rough patch. If people and orgs were still buying the 870 in the numbers they did in years past, some entrepreneur might be tempted.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Correct me if I’m wrong, I believe Wilson and Vang take guns out of the green Remington box and proceed to Wilson or Vang them into submission. It looks like Wilson is showing their 870 variants as discontinued.
    That is sad about no new "Scattergun Technologies" offerings. Thank heavens the "Remington Steal" and custom smithing still offered. I am tempted to send in one of my well-used guns for some TLC. I have an older Wingmaster ("V" serial number suffix) that has a Speedfeed IV-S stock, an older Surefire forend, and a Vang Comp extension that could use some updating and a new finish. I need to find out if the previous tweaks will disqualify the gun for work as Wilson is picky about previous work.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Until the latest panic, gun stores never sold out of 870 shotguns. The sheer amount of used models was enough to dampen demand for a clone, especially as the real thing was available for $300 or less. I wonder if many of the 870 shotguns snapped up during the panic will be sold when things "return to normal" -- aka "cash is needed".
    In fact I picked up an Express model 870 last week from a pawn shop. Sighted it while waiting on the paperwork for my revolver to get finished, mulled it over that night and went back the next day. The price was decent so it came home with me.

My first 870 is an early Express where the main difference from the Wingmaster is a matte finish and birch stock. It has been customized a bit over the years. The “new” 870 appears basically unfired and the barrel date is three years after the first one. The main difference appears to be the silly magazine tube setup with the dimples. I ran 50 rounds of cheapo Winchester ammo through it at the five stand course this weekend and other than being a bit stiff at first it seems just fine.

It is destined to become a clone of Express #1 with a 21” VR barrel, Magpul stock and +3 magazine extension.

A couple of thoughts: Mossberg made a double action shotgun around 2001. I can't seem to find information on it right now. It did not last long and had a terrible trigger.

During the LA Riots I was working in a gun store and we sold many UPS truck loads of M1 Carbines (they were considered C&R at the time and had no waiting period, weird CA loophole) and hardly any came back.

The store was also around in the Nightstalker days and it was the same but with 3" - 4" Smith, Ruger and Rossi 38 Spl revolvers. 100's sold, very little coming back.

It seems that people who buy during a crisis realize what a pain it is and keep their gun.

I like the 870 and hope it returns in a manner that supports its reputation.

User Tag List