Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Depriming Dies

Depriming Dies

I have a gang of brass to process. I have a FART so I like to deprime before I tumble. I bought a Lee Universal depriming die which I hate. The friction lock keeps popping loose and the pin has to be retightened.

I looked around the web and I found a place (Mighty Armory) that makes a fancy universal depriming die , I looked at reviews on youtube and some other sites and it seemed pretty positive. I sent the store owner an email asking which one of his dies he recommended for a 550B. He quickly responded and recommended the Shorty Bull die. The die comes with two removable hardened steel pins and I ordered an extra shaft and a small pin decapper.

I got it in the mail earlier today and put it in my spare toolhead and cranked through a 3 gallon bucket of .38 Special brass. So far it is working really well.

Name:  PXL_20201212_234426870.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  29.8 KB
    Name:  PXL_20201212_234602530~3.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  60.8 KB

I deprimed around 20 pounds of 38 Special brass and 60 pounds of 9 mm brass in the last week and everything went fine other than my 550 spewing spent primers all over the floor.

You guys running the FART are you using pins or no pins? I have been using pins, but it is kind of a pain in the keister separating the pins from the brass. I am finding pins all over the floor even after I sweep with the magnet.

I am very happy with how clean the brass is though.

Been more than happy with my Lee Decapping Die after 15 years of use. Yes, you have REALLY tighten the lock nut.
    Glad you have something you like.

Site Supporter
    I corresponded with the owner of Mighty Armory and talked with him once. He is a nice man and a machinist by profession. Knowledgeable too.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    You guys running the FART are you using pins or no pins? I have been using pins, but it is kind of a pain in the keister separating the pins from the brass. I am finding pins all over the floor even after I sweep with the magnet.

There is a thread here about no pins, I will link it if I am in front of my computer in a bit.
    ETA: I hit the edit window, so here is the link to the no pins thread.

I used my pins one time when I first bought the thing, and I am still finding pins on the floor!!

I attached a pic of some I just did withOUT the pins, using just the Armorall car wash soap and citric acid. They look like fishing lures, but there is some debris in the primer pockets the pins will get.

ETA: A couple more pictures:
    Name:  Closeup Snip.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  83.9 KB
    Name:  PrimerPocketSnip.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  18.1 KB
    Last edited by mmc45414; 12-19-2020 at 07:28 AM.

I use a Harvey Deprimer: https://harveydeprimer.com/ Quick and easy plus it gives you a good grip workout.

I deprimed around 20 pounds of 38 Special brass and 60 pounds of 9 mm brass in the last week and everything went fine other than my 550 spewing spent primers all over the floor.

No pins. You think the pins are doing an amazing job until you try the Armorall soap and citric acid method and get nearly the same results sans pins.
    #RESIST

Off topic, which light is that?

Name:  PXL_20201212_234426870.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  29.8 KB

Looks a lot like my Inline Fabrication.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Looks a lot like my Inline Fabrication.
    It is.

If I was purchasing a light again I would get the KMS UFO light instead. I don't think it was around when I bought this one.
    Last edited by Flamingo; 12-19-2020 at 11:54 AM. Reason: add some info

User Tag List