Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ATF agent detained and tased by local PD

If you're thinking good wine easily stolen, think Kroger.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I’m smelling “shitbird the local cops hate” given the Kroger incident and prolly other shit the cops know about that the general public doesn’t. From the article:

Burk has since moved to an administrative role within ATF because of the incident and injuries, both physical and psychological, Burk says he suffered.
    You might be right.

Another reason to be on admin duty is for the pending civil suit. Damages will be greater if he's "unable to return to normal duty/normal life" due to the great physical and psychological harm inflicted upon him.

(Or, as others pointed out, the ATF has decided he doesn't need to be carrying a firearm for this incident of for the shoplifting incident.)

I'm not ATF, but confiscating a firearm seems like at least a two-man lift. Something is off with that, as TGS pointed out.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Totally where my mind went, and something tells me the city will push back on this and he's going to end up just making himself a notorious shitstain instead of someone that nobody has ever heard of.
    Sounds a lot like the jerkoff administrative law judge who tried to sue a dry-cleaners for millions for ruining his pants.

Edited to add: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearson_v._Chung
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Lawsuit smells funny.

Especially the part about going to confiscate a gun from a prohibited person......on your own.....
    ...with no deconfliction...and apparently with no readily visible indicia of being a LEO.

Seems legit.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

The case also alleges the officers later privately shared body cam footage from the incident with other officers, making light of the incident and mocking Burk.
    I really hope it gets leaked.

It's very easy to avoid this sort of thing:

*ring*ring*

Me: Such-and-Such Department.
    Dude: Hey, it's Dude from Federal Alphabet Agency. At 1200, we're going to be making contact with a subject at 123 Evergreen as part of an investigation.
    Me: Is that address in Pine Estates off Route 1?
    Dude: Sure is.
    Me: We have patrols available in the area if you'd like backup.
    Dude: No thanks, there's two of us.
    Me: Okay. I'll make a note of it here and message or phone the patrol sergeant just to give them the heads-up. What's a good callback number for you?
    Dude: 123-4567.
    Me: Great. And what time do you expect to be done?
    Dude: Brief meeting, no later than 1300.
    Me: Okay. Give me a call back when you're done, and I'll check in at 1300. Have a good day.

Then, all sorts of fun shit happens. If I get a complaint about gunshots or fireworks in that area, I don't jerk around and send one unit to investigate, I roll a bunch and advise them of the call, and then stage EMS. The guys involved are now on my radar and I can check on them if I don't hear from them. If we have, say, an extensive history of mental health or fights-the-police issues at that residence, I can let them know. All that and more for a minute or two of time, although it's not as cool as just rolling around with nobody looking over your shoulder.

Now, that said, maybe ATF doesn't have a good relationship with that department. Maybe their communications people are just dickbags who don't do cool things for their u/s. Hell, for all I know, this guy did do that and somebody dropped the ball. Who knows? All I'm saying is, there are very good, very easy ways to prevent stuff like this from happening, and it just takes two minutes of working together.

Site Supporter
    Lawsuit smells funny.

Especially the part about going to confiscate a gun from a prohibited person......on your own.....
    This ^^^^. Cops go in twos.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post

*ring*ring*

Dude: Hey, it's Dude from Federal Alphabet Agency. At 1200, we're going to be making contact with a subject at 123 Evergreen as part of an investigation.
    Me: Is that address in Pine Estates off Route 1?
    Dude: Sure is.
    Me: We have patrols available in the area if you'd like backup.
    Dude: No thanks, there's two of us.
    Me: Okay. I'll make a note of it here and message or phone the patrol sergeant just to give them the heads-up. What's a good callback number for you?
    Dude: 123-4567.
    Me: Great. And what time do you expect to be done?
    Dude: Brief meeting, no later than 1300.
    Me: Okay. Give me a call back when you're done, and I'll check in at 1300. Have a good day.

Then, all sorts of fun shit happens. If I get a complaint about gunshots or fireworks in that area, I don't jerk around and send one unit to investigate, I roll a bunch and advise them of the call, and then stage EMS. The guys involved are now on my radar and I can check on them if I don't hear from them. If we have, say, an extensive history of mental health or fights-the-police issues at that residence, I can let them know. All that and more for a minute or two of time, although it's not as cool as just rolling around with nobody looking over your shoulder.

Now, that said, maybe ATF doesn't have a good relationship with that department. Maybe their communications people are just dickbags who don't do cool things for their u/s. Hell, for all I know, this guy did do that and somebody dropped the ball. Who knows? All I'm saying is, there are very good, very easy ways to prevent stuff like this from happening, and it just takes two minutes of working together.
    It is an easy way to avoid this sort of thing if the Agent was actually conducting official business. As others have mentioned, going to retrieve a firearm from a prohibited person at a residence solo is shady at best.

Deconfliction notifications such as you describe are best practice but are not a guarantee. The bigger the agency the more chance of issues IME.

There are sometimes circumstances were local notification is an operational security issue but that is the exception, not the rule.

Site Supporter

ATF agent detained and tased by local PD

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post

*ring*ring*

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    There are sometimes circumstances were local notification is an operational security issue but that is the exception, not the rule.
    As HCM noted, sometimes deconfliction like what Wise_A describes is out of the question because of concerns (or certainties...) vis-à-vis corruption. I’ve been there, including very recently, when the call to the local PD went out as we were surrounding the house, because no way were we going to trust them not to tip this guy off.

When I was working on the SW border (totally different area), there were some local/county agencies we wouldn’t trust to tell us day’s light and night’s dark. Speaking of dark, that’s where we kept them regarding upcoming operations. Hell, there was a lot of stuff we wouldn’t tell the USBP.

The vast majority of local, county, and state LE don’t present this problem, but the fact that it’s come up several times, in totally different contexts, in the span of my relatively young career has not been lost on me.

As for agents always doing things in twos, the first time I had a professional interaction with an 1811, a VA OIG special agent came to my PD and asked us to accompany him to do a knock and talk interview of someone he suspected was diverting prescription drugs. He was by himself, and if we hadn’t been available to help, I don’t know what he would have done. He was probably 3+ hours from his closest colleague. Some agencies always send two agents for that kind of stuff, but apparently some don’t.

Site Supporter

ATF agent detained and tased by local PD

Deleted

User Tag List