Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: DA/SA in a recent class...

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    They made a gun many were looking for. People were just looking for it long before they made, and no longer when they made it.

The P220 is an awesome gun. If you could guarantee me long term reliability and durability, I would probably switch to carrying one. They shoot well for me.

Did the 14 round mags make the gun massive? It looked like it in pics I have seen.
    I know older 220’s worked pretty well. Some debate about magazines when I asked about new 220’s a few weeks ago. I think with proper maintenance, springs mostly, a pair of 220s would last a long time. They’re still my favorite Sig ever.

If I had to go to limited capacity magazines and wanted a full size gun I would seriously consider them.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I used to think that if I drew my gun then I was shooting...untill I drew my gun a few times and never fired. Thank God.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I know older 220’s worked pretty well. Some debate about magazines when I asked about new 220’s a few weeks ago. I think with proper maintenance, springs mostly, a pair of 220s would last a long time. They’re still my favorite Sig ever.

If I had to go to limited capacity magazines and wanted a full size gun I would seriously consider them.
    I recently grabbed an older P220, actually. Kinda ratty and beat up. But it was a decent price and I’d always wanted one. Took it out yesterday (good weekend for shooting). Fired a little over 50 rounds at 10 yards, most of which ended up in a big hole on the bullseye.

Name:  8E64574E-4708-4034-9393-42C43F3D47AB.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  24.8 KB

Such a nice gun to shoot. Effortless is the word I guess I’d pick. Bullets go right where you want them. Recoil wasn’t bad at all. I’ve had a P245 for a while but I’d never shot an actual P220. Very similar, just felt a little more planted, I guess. The .45 Sigs just kick ass.

Name:  442BD541-58CF-4397-A0B8-17E6268D5844.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  34.9 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    Yes, the mag extends beyond the grip by about 1.5 inches. I guess I can't attach pics to a reply or I would do so.

P220? get one with an external extractor, preferably the short extractor. Keep the frame rails properly lubed with a light grease, change the recoil spring every 5k or so. About every 20k, replace about $50 worth of pins and springs and maybe a trigger bar, (or pay Sig $100 to do it and some other stuff), and it should last for the long haul. Nothing is guaranteed, but I have a P220 I bought new in 92 or 93 and it is still humming along, and I have some newer, but higher round count guns doing the same.

Guns, cameras, cars, tools...a bit of care and some maintenance makes a big difference. Worked an OIS not long ago and the gun was not just dirty but rusted inside. Literally, rust. He had never changed recoil spring and obviously never lubed the gun or cleaned it properly. It jammed and officer got shot twice trying to clear the jam and perp got away. Well, for a while he got away. Ofc asked me if I thought he should buy a more reliable gun. I suggested an alternative approach.

Damn! Was it a Sig?

I knew of a guy who went to qualify with his 1911. Officer I was talking to said it was so rusted they couldn’t even eject the magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Damn! Was it a Sig?

I knew of a guy who went to qualify with his 1911. Officer I was talking to said it was so rusted they couldn’t even eject the magazine.
    No. 1911 Officer model (plainclothes unit)

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Name:  442BD541-58CF-4397-A0B8-17E6268D5844.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  34.9 KB
    OMG... 2000 called and wants your laptop and your gun back...

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Integrated webcams in 2000? That's some serious retro futurism, Les.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    Extremely strong posts @TCinVA . You took the words out of my mouth and added a bunch more I hadn't yet considered. We should really have a "best of" posts in PF.

The one quibble I have is the quantification of only 1% of armed officers being highly proficient. I live in a semi rural area and we have far more than 1% of the local LEOs at our USPSA matches. All but one of them I would consider moderately to highly proficient. Just one anecdote...
    That is not normal, in my experience. I worked at a forward thinking/training heavy department with a decent SWAT team, at least for the place and time. The department even had a pretty competitive pistol team. Out of about 300 sworn, maybe 15 were serious about getting very good with a handgun. That was a much higher percentage of people compared to anywhere else I worked or was aware of.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    As long as 2000 keeps giving me guns that shoot straight and laptops with decent key travel... they're never getting their shit back.

I think the Thinkpad is, like, 2015ish, actually. I'm guessing the P220 is late 90s, early 2000s.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    see sig.
    Thanks for that! Lots of old reading to catch up on.

User Tag List