Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DA/SA in a recent class...

One comrade remarked that the DA shot forced him to stop and focus on that initial shot, then he could do follow ups or was in the proper mindset.

Practice drawing and reloading 50 times I. Dry fire before your match. Don't try to learn new skills in a stage.

Site Supporter
    Thanks, guys. Appreciate the thoughts. Definitely glad I took the class. Instructor was great and I'd recommend it anyone.

Practice drawing from concealment (and actually shooting) was valuable experience for sure. Going through the motions now, it feels... more natural. I'd like to take a more high-volume shooting course next year.

I have actually done a few competitions. So I did have some experience getting that first DA shot on target. But it's always been drawing from OWB or off a table. I guess I never really asked, but I just assumed drawing from AIWB would have been a no-go. But maybe not. I'll say I don't really compete "to win"... I usually use my carry guns (most of which are DA/SA). I guess I enjoy shooting more for accuracy, than raw speed. Used my P239 (in 9mm) last time. Had good results with it.

Most of us are wired to be more comfortable either shooting fast or shooting accurately, but not both. If you enjoy accuracy, I would suggest you want to learn to shoot fast if you want to progress as a shooter. If you’re wired to shoot fast, the opposite applies.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    The 5906 I just picked up has seriously the best trigger in any ‘combat intended’ pistol I’ve ever shot. The SA reset is ridiculously short, crisp, defined and the DA pull is smooth, not too heavy and clean. Breaks at the same point as the SA pull. Why people bitch about these guns I have no idea.
    Yeah, man. I'm with you. The 3d gens are great--and I agree, they may have the best all-around DA/SA setup. Though I've always found Sigs to be very good.

I have a 6904. I think it probably has the best DA pull of all my DA/SA guns. It's smooth and consistent, zero stacking, no overtravel. The sights just sit there when the hammer falls. The SA is also nice... and yeah, the reset is legit.

For my first few competitions, I used my PX4CC. The SA pull on that gun is fantastic, but I found myself missing most of DA shots. Next competition I did, the PX4 was in the shop getting sights or something... so I used the 6904 (mainly because I had enough mags for it). I tell ya... the difference in DA accuracy was night and day. I think I hit just about every plate off the draw. Maybe it was just because I was getting better? But still--I find it more of a challenge to keep the sights aligned with the PX4 on DA.

In any case, yeah. The third gens were/are great shooting guns. A 5906 is on my list--preferably one with the big adjustable sights.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Most of us are wired to be more comfortable either shooting fast or shooting accurately, but not both. If you enjoy accuracy, I would suggest you want to learn to shoot fast if you want to progress as a shooter. If you’re wired to shoot fast, the opposite applies.
    Interesting perspective. Haven't heard that before. But makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    I guess I enjoy shooting more for accuracy, than raw speed. Used my P239 (in 9mm) last time. Had good results with it.
    Stick with shooting for accuracy. All these kommandos that have Instagram or YouTube accounts with lots of followers, those guys are no doubt shooting with blazing speed and accuracy, but they’re doing it on a known course of fire with static targets that don’t move or shoot back. They are treating it like a USPSA match, obsessing over time, looking cool, being bougie and calling it ‘standards’. Train yourself to shoot accurately. If you can, take a FoF class that utilizes actual sim guns, not airsoft, but that’ll do if you can’t find sim guns. You’ll soon learn that hits really do count and tactics greatly outweigh raw speed. Train smart and be safe man.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Yeah, man. I'm with you. The 3d gens are great--and I agree, they may have the best all-around DA/SA setup. Though I've always found Sigs to be very good.

I have a 6904. I think it probably has the best DA pull of all my DA/SA guns. It's smooth and consistent, zero stacking, no overtravel. The sights just sit there when the hammer falls. The SA is also nice... and yeah, the reset is legit...

In any case, yeah. The third gens were/are great shooting guns.
    Smith needs to bring some of the models back. They make revolvers and 1911s that sell for over a grand. If they offered a 5906 with integrated picatinny rail like the Mexican SF and CHP 4006 pistols I think people would drop over a grand for them. When I see beat up police trade in 3rd gens going for $800 on Gun Broker, there is a market.

Almost anyone can shoot accurately, without time pressure. Almost anyone can shoot fast, without accuracy pressure. The key, whether you compete or shoot living things is to be able to shoot accurately as fast as possible.

So how do you learn to shoot accurately at a relevant speed — you start by figuring out whether your weakness is speed or accuracy, and focus on that.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    I would say you are correct. Look at HCM's on the H&K LEM trigger being a "people-management" trigger.

A common drill for this sort of thing is to shoot a target under time. At a certain point, an instructor or observer will shine a light or a laser on the target. The goal is to shoot fast, but stop firing as soon as the light comes on.
    see sig.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    239's are awesome.

Come out to the same place on Tuesday (22nd) and shoot an IDPA match with us. And if you're at the gun counter on the weekends, I work there - only guy named Mike.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    239's are awesome.

Come out to the same place on Tuesday (22nd) and shoot an IDPA match with us. And if you're at the gun counter on the weekends, I work there - only guy named Mike.
    Cool, man. Thanks for the invite. I might just do that. And I'll be sure to say hey next time I'm up there on a weekend.

And yes, P239s are awesome. They always get nailed for capacity... people seem to forget how good they shoot. In a package you can still easily carry.

User Tag List