Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49

Thread: 1301 with 8-pellet Flitecontrol?

  1. #1

    1301 with 8-pellet Flitecontrol?

    Before my recent retirement from the PD, I was involved in testing potential new duty shotguns. Our SWAT guys had already bought several 1301s for special purposes, I'd worked with them in classes, and I tested the 1301 for the larger patrol shotgun cadre. I've been instructing patrol shotgun for 20 years, but had no prior experience with the 1301.

    Our duty ammo (used in 870s) is low-recoil Truball slugs as primary (LEB127 LRS), with 8-pellet Flitecontrol (LE133 00) optional. The low-recoil slugs ran beautifully in the 1301.

    I *thought* the conventional interweb wisdom was that 8-pellet buck runs reliably in the 1301; it did not. No matter how experienced the shooter, it just seemed too light to cycle the action reliably. We resolved that if we did adopt the 1301, we'd change the buck load.

    So.. what'd I miss? I'm thinking of buying a 1301, and wondering what I'd feed it.. Does 9-pellet LE132 run better, or is full charge buck needed? What are you guys running for buck in these guns?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Site Supporter Lon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    Before my recent retirement from the PD, I was involved in testing potential new duty shotguns. Our SWAT guys had already bought several 1301s for special purposes, I'd worked with them in classes, and I tested the 1301 for the larger patrol shotgun cadre. I've been instructing patrol shotgun for 20 years, but had no prior experience with the 1301.

    Our duty ammo (used in 870s) is low-recoil Truball slugs as primary (LEB127 LRS), with 8-pellet Flitecontrol (LE133 00) optional. The low-recoil slugs ran beautifully in the 1301.

    I *thought* the conventional interweb wisdom was that 8-pellet buck runs reliably in the 1301; it did not. No matter how experienced the shooter, it just seemed too light to cycle the action reliably. We resolved that if we did adopt the 1301, we'd change the buck load.

    So.. what'd I miss? I'm thinking of buying a 1301, and wondering what I'd feed it.. Does 9-pellet LE132 run better, or is full charge buck needed? What are you guys running for buck in these guns?

    Thanks
    I know quite a few guys with the 1301s who prefer the eight pellet. @Tom Givens for one.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

  3. #3
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Tampa area, Florida
    I only own one 1301, but it runs superbly with 8 pellet low recoil Flite Control. I have seen numerous students run same in class. No issues.

    Maybe you had an underpowered lot?

  4. #4
    Site Supporter Coyotesfan97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Phoenix Metro, AZ
    Iíve been running eight pellet FC #1 buck through my 1301 without any issues.
    The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.* Thucydides 471BC

    "Hey! Let's be careful out there." Sgt Phil Esterhaus played by Michael Conrad

  5. #5
    Site Supporter Erick Gelhaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Last weekend, in a class, I demo'd 8 pellet Winchester Ranger low recoil, 8 pellet Hornady light magnum versi-tite, and old 9pellet Fed LE132. Ran them through my 1301 (A zone), and two different Vang'd 870s - circa '94 (head) and circa '02 (C/D zone). All at 10 yards since we were from a home defense premise.

    Top target - Hornady 8 pellet in the upper A zone;

    Bottom left target - Fed 9 pellet LE132 in the low A zone;

    Bottom right target - Winchester Range 8 pellet in the upper A zone;

    Name:  IMG_6800.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  41.9 KB

  6. #6
    Itís not exhaustive, but my recently acquired 1301 Tac digested 65 rounds of LE133 or its Speer Lawman equivalent, 5 rounds of Remington low recoil 8 pellet, 5 rounds of Remington low recoil slugs, and a bunch of low brass, 3.5 dram birdshot. No sign of an issue yet.

  7. #7
    Site Supporter GearFondler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Southeast Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Iíve been running eight pellet FC #1 buck through my 1301 without any issues.
    FC #1 is 15 pellets... It's what I use I'm my 1301T.
    That said, I also have 8 and 9 pellet FC 00 that also run great in mine.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    I only own one 1301, but it runs superbly with 8 pellet low recoil Flite Control. I have seen numerous students run same in class. No issues.

    Maybe you had an underpowered lot?
    Thanks for all the input, guys.

    Tom, that's an interesting point, now that I think of it. Whenever we'd load ammo cans for a class, we'd tear off a box flap and put it in the bottom of the can, so if there's a problem with the ammo the lot can be identified. (I dunno how many different lots are in the armory at a given time, but certainly several...). In April we ran a 5-day patrol shotgun school, and a few SWAT guys came through for familiarization with their new 1301s. Problems cycling the 8-pellet buck cropped up early on. But in this case, as semi-auto shotguns in the past have not played well with low-recoil buck, we didn't think much of it and didn't check lot numbers.

    Throughout the spring, during in-service shotgun classes, we tested a gun Beretta had sent us. I was still curious about running it with 8-pellet, and did so during each class. Some days I couldn't get through a mag tube; other days I'd sail through dozens of rounds without an issue. It could well be that one of the lots we were drawing from was slightly underpowered. (We didn't notice any difference in recoil from 870s.)

  9. #9
    If I can't resist the itch, I don't think this will dissuade me from buying a 1301... I have stashes of 8 and 9 pellet 00, as well as some 15 pellet #1, although I do have more 8-pellet than the others combined, as I prefer it.

  10. #10
    Site Supporter GearFondler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Southeast Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    If I can't resist the itch, I don't think this will dissuade me from buying a 1301... I have stashes of 8 and 9 pellet 00, as well as some 15 pellet #1, although I do have more 8-pellet than the others combined, as I prefer it.
    There's a bazillion post thread here on the 1301 that's been ongoing since its debut and you won't find anything in there about 8p FC 00 causing issues. I realize that is not exactly scientific data but it's hard for me to believe that with all the contributors over the years this would go unnoticed if it was a problem. For what that's worth.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •