Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which electronic ear protection?

Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    Curious if you've done business with that seller?
    That price looks waaay too good to be legit.
    Also, notice the yellow banded announcement at the bottom of the page?
    Seems like a good way to lose $100...

If you've done business with them and they are good to go, please advise and if yes, I'm getting a set.
    Look like a Sordin knock off to me. Doesn't show the Sordin sticker in the pic.

Plus this bit:

Important NOTE:
    Our webshop is closing soon.
    Purchased items cannot be returned or refunded.
    Thank you for your understanding.

Please place an order only if you agree to the above.

Scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    I need to buy a replacement ear protection. After 15 years my old Peltor Ear Pros Dimension 1 have got too old to have effective maintenance kits - replacement ear pads, mic covers, inner pads. I'll be shooting pistols inside under a cover and possibly walls, and an AR under cover.

Is there any reason to look beyond the Howard Leight Impact or the Howard Leight Honeywell? Do either or both need Noise Fighters Sightlines gel ear cups? ( [url]https://noisefighters.com/products/sightlines1/url ) Will the large ear cups of the 30 dB reduction sets work with an AR stock?

I've owned and/or used most, if not all of the different brands of electronic ear pro on the market over the years.

Current earpro is two sets of MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X (one standard and one behind the neck).
    They are worth every penny - recommend without reservation.

SRS Tactical is good to go.
    The new SWATCOM Active8 stuff looks to be legit/good to go - if I ever need to replace one of the MSA's, it will likely be with a SWATCOM set.

https://srstactical.com/

Site Supporter
    My Ear Pro is weak.

I have been using OEM HL Impacts in OD Green for 10 +years. First set gave great service for 5ish years. I then forgot them at the PD range for a good little while right before I had a class with TG. Got replacements from Prime in 36 hours shipped to my hotel in the middle of KS. They exceptionally well with my thin templed ESS eye pro and well enough with the std templed ones.

Forgotten ones came back 4+ yrs later as they had been put in a lost and found box that got lost, then found. Cleaned out the battery compartment and they are GTG as well.

I always use plugs with them, indoors or out, hot or cold. When they crap out, I will step up to the Sordins.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

[QUOTE=BillSWPA;1154652The Sordins can use Eneloops, making battery costs negligible. ... I stay away from alkaline to avoid leaks, so I am using lithium primary batteries in the Peltor.
    [/QUOTE]
    I'm with you on the rechargeable Eneloop batteries - I'm deeply invested in their AA and AAA. I won't put alkaline batteries in anything that's expensive that leakage could destroy. Unlike you, however, I stay away from Lithium batteries (except in my outdoor thermometers) - I've read some horror stories about burning Lithium separate batteries (not cell phones and laptops, fortunately).

AA or AAA would be great. Finding "N" batteries for my old Peltors was always a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Peltor Tactical 500, with gel ear seals, and add some foam earplugs.

The 500s offer a 26dB NRR, work very well, and are reasonably priced. I use them for shooting both pistols and rifles.

You can spend more, but you won't get better.
    Would you say they're reasonably roomy for folks with larger heads?
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

There seems to be a consensus that Sordin is the best bet. I note that the noise reduction rating (NRR) is less than 20 dB, compared to others that commonly rate 22 dB and some to 30dB NRR. Is this a result of differences in the way NRR is measured?

I am going to say, if you normally wear glasses, get the noisefighters for ANY of your choices of hearing protection, IMHO.

I have both Howard Leights and the Sordin Active8's and double up with plugs in an indoor range. IMHE the Sordin's are better, but not for the cost verses the amount I actually get to go shoot. That is an individual, cost/time/use calculation and ammo is up, my time is down, and I might get a second range trip, THIS YEAR, since dealing with some death issues.

Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    Curious if you've done business with that seller?
    That price looks waaay too good to be legit.
    Also, notice the yellow banded announcement at the bottom of the page?
    Seems like a good way to lose $100...

If you've done business with them and they are good to go, please advise and if yes, I'm getting a set.
    I have not, personally, but I have personal friends who have ordered, and it's literally just MSA Supreme Pros. From one of them, this is what he got:

If you dig a bit deeper, it's just a webshop from Glock (the son of the founder, not the company) that seems to be getting shut down.

I’ve used everything from high end Peltor to Pro Ears over the years.

I like my Sordin supreme Pro-x’s and use them with lithium AAA’S with no issues.

They are absolutely not adequate for indoor range use with rifles or anything compensated or braked- I always double-plug indoors with a set of Surefire Ep’s refitted with a set of Final Audio Design silicone plugs. Very comfortable, still allows me to hear voices very easily, but is good for concussion sound (as in when the guy in the next bay cuts loose with something ridiculous like a .50 Barrett- BTDT)

Outdoors they are great, especially with the gel cups and my Smith Echo Elite eye pro, which have the flattest ear stems (stainless steel) of any eye pro I have ever used. Absolutely zero sound leak or temple pressure, with this combination. You need to plan on double-plugging when shooting rollover prone though- any muff will get cracked open if you’re doing it as I was instructed to at Gunsite over the years, and having your muzzle that close to the ground concentrates the report.

The Sordins allow me to have a good cheek weld with all my long arms as well. Enough clearance for just about anything.

If however, you have a very big noggin, or want to wear a thick skullcap/toque for winter conditions, the Sordin’s might not fit, especially if you also have a padded headband on them.

I have a 59-60 CM head measurement (medium-large in motorcycle helmet nomenclature) and they are just short of maxed out for adjustment with a US Tactical Sewing AHMC on the headband, and on a buttonless shooting cap or thin Arcteryx skull cap on my head.
    Last edited by Archer1440; 12-12-2020 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I have not, personally, but I have personal friends who have ordered, and it's literally just MSA Supreme Pros. From one of them, this is what he got:

If you dig a bit deeper, it's just a webshop from Glock (the son of the founder, not the company) that seems to be getting shut down.
    Thank You!!

Ordered a set at $141.94/shipped
    ($107.70 + $25.26 UPS Ground + $8.98 tax)

Damn good deal - thanks for the heads up & confirming the deal is legit.

User Tag List