Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 53

Thread: Which electronic ear protection?

  1. #21
    Wag more, Bark less RJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Venice Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    Look like a Sordin knock off to me. Doesn't show the Sordin sticker in the pic.

    Plus this bit:

    Important NOTE:
    Our webshop is closing soon.
    Purchased items cannot be returned or refunded.
    Thank you for your understanding.

    Please place an order only if you agree to the above.

    Scary.
    That looks sketchy as hell.

    And: if these are in fact "gray market" imports, you don't have any standing, if your earpro goes Tango Uniform. You may have to end up dealing with the OEM in Sweden if they croak. When sold in the US, the Pro has a 1 year warranty, vs. 5 year that the Pro-X has. The Pro is not fully waterproof, like the Pro-X.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught.
    — J. C. Watts

  2. #22
    Member DMF13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Nomad
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    Would you say they're reasonably roomy for folks with larger heads?
    Yeah, my head is a bit narrow, but I've got.some friends with some wide craniums that like them just fine.
    _______________
    "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here I am. Send me." - Isaiah 6:8

  3. #23
    Member DMF13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Nomad
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    There seems to be a consensus that Sordin is the best bet. I note that the noise reduction rating (NRR) is less than 20 dB, compared to others that commonly rate 22 dB and some to 30dB NRR. Is this a result of differences in the way NRR is measured?
    No, to be able to put the standard EPA labeling for average NRR rating you must follow the same testing standards.

    Further, the low profile sets like the MSA Sordins are designed for use with helmets, and with command, by tactical teams. The low profile, and comm controls, require they sacrifice noise reduction.

    There are some who have claimed the MSA Sordins perform well at the important frequencies, but that is not true when compared to larger (and less expensive) darkroom.

    Here is are links to previous posts where I showed the MSA Sordins greatly underperformed compared to less expensive Peltors:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....tor#post913219

    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....tor#post789234

    If you're part of a tac team, and need to wear very low profile head gear with a helmet, get the gear designed for that. However, if you want quality ear pro to protect your hearing, and not wearing a helmet, get something that provides better protection.

    Also, when not using a helmet you can use radios with the Peltor 100, 300, 500, and RangeGuard headsets, along with the Howard Leight electronic earpro, as they all accept a 3.5mm auxiliary cord, and can be connected to radios. I've done it before and it works great.
    _______________
    "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here I am. Send me." - Isaiah 6:8

  4. #24
    Member DMF13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Nomad
    BTW, here is link to the "hack" for using the Peltor gel ear seals with their 100, 300, 500, and RangeGuard headsets:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....tor#post601494

    There are some companies that sell gel seal for the Howard Leight sets.

    Gel ear seals, and eye pro that have thin temples are essential to getting a good seal, both for protecting your hearing, and comfort.
    _______________
    "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here I am. Send me." - Isaiah 6:8

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    Thank You!!

    Ordered a set at $141.94/shipped
    ($107.70 + $25.26 UPS Ground + $8.98 tax)

    Damn good deal - thanks for the heads up & confirming the deal is legit.
    Ironically, now that I look back, it was @TomV that apparently had found that deal in another channel I'm in.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    No, to be able to put the standard EPA labeling for average NRR rating you must follow the same testing standards.

    Further, the low profile sets like the MSA Sordins are designed for use with helmets, and with command, by tactical teams. The low profile, and comm controls, require they sacrifice noise reduction.

    There are some who have claimed the MSA Sordins perform well at the important frequencies, but that is not true when compared to larger (and less expensive) darkroom.

    Here is are links to previous posts where I showed the MSA Sordins greatly underperformed compared to less expensive Peltors:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....tor#post913219

    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....tor#post789234

    If you're part of a tac team, and need to wear very low profile head gear with a helmet, get the gear designed for that. However, if you want quality ear pro to protect your hearing, and not wearing a helmet, get something that provides better protection.

    Also, when not using a helmet you can use radios with the Peltor 100, 300, 500, and RangeGuard headsets, along with the Howard Leight electronic earpro, as they all accept a 3.5mm auxiliary cord, and can be connected to radios. I've done it before and it works great.
    MF13, that looks pretty conclusive for a recreational shooter. Let me ask one uncomfortable question, please: do you have any affiliation with Peltor?

  7. #27
    I used Howard Leights for several years and they were perfectly serviceable, especially with the Noisefighters gel cups. I was turned onto the AKT1 Sport electronic muffs by Paul Sharp last year, and they're far superior in comfort, sound attenuation, and durability for essentially the same cost once one figures in the price of gel earcups.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    MF13, that looks pretty conclusive for a recreational shooter. Let me ask one uncomfortable question, please: do you have any affiliation with Peltor?
    Eh, it's just the nature of the ear pro itself. The Peltor ComTacs (both the III and VI) have about the same NRR as the Sordins (20 NRR for the ComTacs), just due to how low profile the cups have to be. The Peltor Sport Tactical 500 is a much bulkier muff, so it stands to reason that it has better protection.

    This is why I doubled up with the SureFire plugs when I used Sordins and TCI Liberator HPs, and also partially why I switched over to the NFMI-enabled Ops Core AMPs. The ComTac VIs have the method of having an earplug mode, which appears to be an extra loud mode to compensate for people doubling up.

    Beyond that, NRR in it of itself tells an incomplete story as to the total protection provided: https://trevoronthetrigger.wordpress...rr18db-rating/

  9. #29
    I applied the Trevor Formula to my plain vanilla passive Midway-Peltors and got a value of 44 Trevor Points vs his 30 for the Sordin.
    Quieter is quieter, no matter how you slice it and the Sordin Kewl Factor does not make up for its low attenuation on any frequency.

    Same deal, there are a lot of HL Sports out there, largely because they are cheap. But they are not very quiet.
    I have the HL Pro which is reasonably quiet, but clunky. I wear passives unless I just HAVE to converse with shooting going on.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

  10. #30
    Member DMF13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Nomad
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    MF13, that looks pretty conclusive for a recreational shooter. Let me ask one uncomfortable question, please: do you have any affiliation with Peltor?
    No I have no association with Peltor (or it's parent company 3M).

    However, I am a person that believes in objective facts, not subjective nonsense. Further, due to a misspent youth, and more than 2000 hours of flying time, most of it in old (and very noisy) USAF aircraft, with screwed up comms systems (that were known to cause high frequency hearing damage),, I have both a severe hearing loss, and tinnitus. So, I am very serious about making sure I have good hearing protection, to retain what hearing I have, and to keep the hell that is tinnitus from getting worse. So I research the hell out of the stuff I buy for earpro.

    For example I know that decibels are on a logarithmic scale, and therefore even 2 or 3 decibels is a huge difference in sound energy. It's one of the reasons why I have always worn both earmuffs style earpro, and earplugs. While the combination isn't additive, and seems to add only a few decibels of protection, it's actually a huge difference in sound energy reaching the ear. It's also why I was late to get into electronic earpro, and stuck with passive ears for so long. In the early days, the best you could hope for was a set that offered 15-20db noise reduction. I wasn't going to trade in passive earpro, that offered 30db NRR, for a set that offered so little. I was issued an old set of Peltors I never used, because they only had a 16dBNRR.

    My first electronic ears were H-L Impact Sports, and I only wore them when instructing and needed to talk with students, and used passive sets for everything else. They had problems, both with inability to get a good seal (gel providers weren't around then), and with comfort. I then bought a set of RangeGuards, but again only used them for instructing, but also upgraded them with gel seals. I was issued a set of Tactical 100s, but by then I had already bought a set of Peltor 500s, which I still only use for instructing or competitions, as I need to be able to talk with students, and I want to hear any commands during a match clearly. Everything else I use passive muffs.

    I had, or tried, a variety of earpro, including the MSA Sordins, over the years. However, I recommend the Peltor 500s when asked about electronic earpro, because they offer superior protection, at a good price. I will say, if you aren't worried about talking to other people while shooting, just stick with passive muffs, as you can get very good ones, with a 30+dB NRR.
    _______________
    "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here I am. Send me." - Isaiah 6:8

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •