Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which electronic ear protection?

Which electronic ear protection?

I need to buy a replacement ear protection. After 15 years my old Peltor Ear Pros Dimension 1 have got too old to have effective maintenance kits - replacement ear pads, mic covers, inner pads. I'll be shooting pistols inside under a cover and possibly walls, and an AR under cover.

Is there any reason to look beyond the Howard Leight Impact or the Howard Leight Honeywell? Do either or both need Noise Fighters Sightlines gel ear cups? ( [url]https://noisefighters.com/products/sightlines1/url ) Will the large ear cups of the 30 dB reduction sets work with an AR stock?

Peltor Tactical 500, with gel ear seals, and add some foam earplugs.

The 500s offer a 26dB NRR, work very well, and are reasonably priced. I use them for shooting both pistols and rifles.

You can spend more, but you won't get better.

I’ve been wearing MSA Sordins with gel caps for awhile. We were issued Peltors but I used my Sordins instead.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I’ve been wearing MSA Sordins with gel caps for awhile. We were issued Peltors but I used my Sordins instead.
    This. My Sordins are several years old, and other than looking a bit ragged, still work fine. And don't forget the gel caps!

I got mine at SRS Tactical. Nice folks, and in my experience, are very willing to help you decide which set is best for you in your price range.

And since you mentioned indoors, I'd also second the suggestion to double up with plugs, regardless of which set you get.

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    And since you mentioned indoors, I'd also second the suggestion to double up with plugs, regardless of which set you get.
    Absolutely. I double up indoors or out.

Site Supporter
    I have both Peltor and Sordin. I like both, but tend to reach for the Sordin. I have had the Peltor for several years, with no durability issues. My Sordins are newer.

The Peltor uses 9v, while the Sordins use AA or AAA (I cannot recall which one). The Sordins can use Eneloops, making battery costs negligible. I have not yet found a NiMH 9v that is any good at holding a charge, and I stay away from alkaline to avoid leaks, so I am using lithium primary batteries in the Peltor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

My original pair of Sordin Supreme Pro-X are still going strong after over 10 years of use. The outer layer of the cable finally gave out within the last year due to rubbing on the wire parts that hold the earcups, which exposed some of the individual wires, but SRS Tactical fixed that for a nominal charge. I'd estimate I have around 900 hours of use on them since November 2010.

I would use caution with current production models, though. We purchased six pairs of the MSA Pro-X variant about two years ago for our instructors, and three of the six crapped out within a year and stopped providing ambient sound pass-through.

I also have a pair of TCI DEHPs (not to be confused with the newer Liberator HP, about which I've read mixed reviews). They are on par with the original Sordins. This is my backup pair, purchased in 2016, and I probably have just shy of 100 hours on them.

SRS now sells SWATCOM Active8 earpro, which is an evolution of the original Sordins. I tested out a set for a few days and found the sound quality to be a little better than my old Sordins, but not anything earth-shattering. If I was in the market for new ears and didn't want to drop a grand on the Ops-Core AMP, I would get a set of Active8s.

I have NoiseFighters on both my Sordins and TCIs, and I consider them an upgrade over regular gel seals. To use the notch effectively, based on my head shape, I have to lift the temples of my glasses about half an inch above where my ears meet my head so that they rest inside the notch and not below it. This means the lenses of my glasses end up being at a bit of a downward angle. I don't really mind that.

I have not used the Howard Leights. I started back in 2010 with a pair of Peltor Tac-6s, and they were just garbage compared to the Sordins. You get what you pay for.

My MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X with OD Green Cups and Black Leather headband I bought in 2015 still work perfectly. I added a padded headband and a set of gel Noisefighters ear seals. I use AAA Eneloops. Zero issues in 5+ years use. I just bought my wife a set of MSA Sordin Pro-X black w gel seals from SRS Tactical a few weeks ago. She really likes them.

On sale: https://www.gastonglockstyle.com/ear-muffs-active.html

They're just the Pro, rather than the Pro-X, so somewhat less environmental resistance (i.e., water and dust intrusion), but it's a pretty good deal.

This is assuming you're looking more for budget than big money shit (e.g., Ops Core AMP or COMTAC VI).

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    On sale: https://www.gastonglockstyle.com/ear-muffs-active.html

They're just the Pro, rather than the Pro-X, so somewhat less environmental resistance (i.e., water and dust intrusion), but it's a pretty good deal.

This is assuming you're looking more for budget than big money shit (e.g., Ops Core AMP or COMTAC VI).
    Curious if you've done business with that seller?
    That price looks waaay too good to be legit.
    Also, notice the yellow banded announcement at the bottom of the page?
    Seems like a good way to lose $100...

If you've done business with them and they are good to go, please advise and if yes, I'm getting a set.

User Tag List