Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: One S&W Revolver

Banned
    Either a pre 27 or low dash number model 27 or 28.

If not restricted to S&W, a Manurhin MR73

Site Supporter
    One of the nicest revolvers I have ever shot was a Performance Center 3” L-frame fixed sight .357 with a 7 shot cylinder. It was finished with a Black T cylinder and Green T everywhere else. It had Hogue Bantam grips.

I was able to shoot it at a S&W event at a local range. Shooting double action with 2 hands at 50 feet, I put all 7 shots into a fist-sized group centered a couple of inches to the right of my point of aim.

It is the only 7 shot revolver I have ever seen that I thought I could realistically carry concealed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    I had a Lew Horton M24-3 3" .44spl several years ago and it was a beautiful, stylish, gun that I foolishly traded away. From a practical perspective, however, I found I preferred by 4" M24-3 and M624 to the 3" gun when it came to shooting, particularly shooting with heavier loads.
    Name:  4AD85BE7-4B3E-46B0-B9F4-4CE96C0ACD95.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  32.3 KB
    My finish challenged Lew Horton 3” M 29 with a reloading snafu protruding from the muzzle.
    The original owner, a Sergeant from work, allowed this one to externally rust and pit somehow and applied some kind of black coating. I bought it from his estate inexpensively.
    The N frame combat stocks are perfect and put away.
    A handload of seven grains of WST and a 240 grain cast bullet yields 850 FPS and is pleasant to shoot.
    Full power .44 magnum rounds are torture with the Sile boot grips presently in place.
    This gun deserves a proper finish but whether the pitting can be properly fixed is something I don’t know.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Name:  4AD85BE7-4B3E-46B0-B9F4-4CE96C0ACD95.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  32.3 KB
    My finish challenged Lew Horton 3” M 29 with a reloading snafu protruding from the muzzle.
    The original owner, a Sergeant from work, allowed this one to externally rust and pit somehow and applied some kind of black coating. I bought it from his estate inexpensively.
    The N frame combat stocks are perfect and put away.
    A handload of seven grains of WST and a 240 grain cast bullet yields 850 FPS and is pleasant to shoot.
    Full power .44 magnum rounds are torture with the Sile boot grips presently in place.
    This gun deserves a proper finish but whether the pitting can be properly fixed is something I don’t know.
    I have a pitted pistol that I looked into getting refinished. The pits can be filled but if the gun is blued will appear speckled if they don't use welding media with the same carbon content. If there's pitting around the roll marks you'd need a full restoration to get the gun looking new again. It's a rather expensive process but if the gun holds value to you it would be worth it.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Almost did it once when Jim Stroh was still working, though.
    There aren't too many like him around anymore. He worked on a couple guns for me, the last one being a 100yo S&W M&P 32-20 5" basketcase that needed mechanical work to get it in a shooting condition. I was able to hand deliver that one to him on the way to see my folks in Alabama. I expected to hand off the gun and hit the road. Nope, I got the shop tour and some good conversation. His shop was impeccable, you could eat off the floor.

I still have the 32-20. I have more in it than it's worth, but it shoots reasonably well and is a wonderfully quirky gun.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    There aren't too many like him around anymore. He worked on a couple guns for me, the last one being a 100yo S&W M&P 32-20 5" basketcase that needed mechanical work to get it in a shooting condition. I was able to hand deliver that one to him on the way to see my folks in Alabama. I expected to hand off the gun and hit the road. Nope, I got the shop tour and some good conversation. His shop was impeccable, you could eat off the floor.

I still have the 32-20. I have more in it than it's worth, but it shoots reasonably well and is a wonderfully quirky gun.

Chris
    Sometimes the worth isn't measured in dollar amounts. You'll always have a piece of history associated with that gun.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Actually just have one...

Name:  Harsh.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  44.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    While I would hate to be without my J Frame 442,

There is no doubt at all that if forced to choose only one revolver, it would be a 5" N Frame .44 Magnum. The ability to run Mags, specials, or even Russians, means I can shoot pretty much any level of load I want from extremely mild rodent rollers and paper punchers to heavy duty elk stompers.

Hard not to like a gun that you can launch lead bullets precisely waaay out there, yet still pack on your belt comfortably all day.

I would feel comfortable enough using a Model 29 for a home defense handgun (and it has served that role before), and use it for putting food on the table.

The 5" barrel is the Goldilocks of barrel lengths (for me). The 4" is about the perfect barrel length for packing, but shooting one with full power loads can be a bit snappy, and in terms optimal accuracy, I do better with a longer barrel. The 6.5" is my favorite for a pure hunting/field handgun. It is super easy to shoot well, both in terms of recoil control and sight radius aiding in accuracy. However in terms of packing around, it is not nearly as easy to pack as a 4" gun, especially when getting in and out of a pickup.

The 5" barrel is the perfect compromise. It is easy to pack and easy to shoot well. It is the Goldilocks of N Frame barrel lengths.
    I used to pack a big bore revolver everywhere on the family ranch for targets of opportunity (which were mostly rocks & cactus.)

A 5.5” Ruger SBH was as long as I could carry in a hip holster and be comfy behind the wheel of a pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    A 5.5” Ruger SBH was as long as I could carry in a hip holster and be comfy behind the wheel of a pickup.
    Hence the swivel holster of yore.

Name:  s-l300.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  9.1 KB

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    For those of you who wondered, like me, what a 24-3 Lew Horton 3" would look like:
    Attachment 64824

It's one of the prettiest guns I've ever seen, up there with the 4" 29.
    I've already outed myself as someone who had to stop visiting Smith & Wesson forum because I couldn't stop buying Smith & Wessons, but... One fine day in 1992, I walked into my then local super duper pawn & gun, and they had the .41, .44 Special, and .44 Mag 3" Lew Hortons in the case. And I deliberated. I walked out with the 29-3, but... Why didn't I buy all of them? Even then, the paperwork was onerous, but present day me is ready to get in the time machine and smoke that Visa card 'till the hologram falls off.

User Tag List