Thread: A Dagger by Peter Johnsson.

A Dagger by Peter Johnsson.

Ten years ago, Peter made this for another collector. I always thought it would make a perfect companion for my sword, which Peter made nearly twenty years ago and I still think it does. I told the original owner to let me know if he ever decided to part with it. A decade on, the time finally came. As with many, if not most medieval daggers, it has a petite and almost fragile look about it. However, once it hand one realizes its robust construction. The 13.75 inch blade is slim, but quite thick in its cross section. Hardly a dainty weapon. Original antiques always seem surprisingly fragile when compared to most modern replicas. They're not, but this is due entirely to comparing them to modern substandard recreations. Modern swords have seen much improvement in this regard, but daggers in general still lag behind in capturing the true spirit of the originals. Peters work always captures these nuances perfectly. I've always been impressed with the sense of proportional balance his work exhibits. All of the elements flow together in perfect harmony. I don't always see this in the work of others, even some who are quite skilled and highly regarded. The scabbard is fashioned from two pieces of leather: a heavier inner layer baked hard for stiffness and a thinner outer layer that's been hand tooled with the stylized figure of a dragon or other mythical beast, a common feature from the period.

We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

That’s bad ass.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    That dagger.

I’ll be in my bunk.

Outstanding!
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Beautiful Blade.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

That's gorgeous, and pretty much exactly what I always envisioned when Robert E. Howard talked about Conan having a 'poignard' in the old stories.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

That’s a sweet looking blade!
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List