Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: F150 Ecoboost owners, check in

Anyone here running a tuner?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    No, but am a little curious. Just a little...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

At least on the 2013s, our engines respond to 93 octane. Its in the manual to use 93 for heavy loads and has been proven by testing/dynos. I am NOT saying its worth it to run 93 for the tiny gains in HP or MPG. I use 93 for towing that TT and 87 when not towing.

As a new owner I learned about a transmission mode that uses higher RPM until it warms up. When my trans temp goes from 104 -> 105, all of the sudden the RPMs drop in 6th. Not sure if this is still a thing with you newer trans.

No, but back in the day I looked into it. I remember 5-Star Tuning and Livernois as the brands I was looking into for tunes.

These guys sell some of the engine tuning kits:
    https://www.stage3motorsports.com/

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com...ibrator-tuners

End of the day, I am happy with the performance but would have liked better mileage for day-to-day. There was/is a lot of MPG talks when it come to these Ecoboosts and the performance "seems" very inconsistent truck-to-truck. My truck struggled to get 18mpg, even with me doing my best pussy footing but not hypermiling. My best mileage is 18.8mpg and that was limping at 55mph, although I have seen 21 and change on road trips but never for a whole actual tank. At the same time, guys with similar trucks were getting over 21-22mpg on tanks, which means they were getting 23-24 at slow freeway speeds. And on the low end, dudes claimed 13-14mpg while trying to get good mileage.

So yeah, I was considering a tuner with a 87 daily driver tune and a 91/93 towing tune.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    No, but am a little curious. Just a little...
    Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    No, but back in the day I looked into it.
    End of the day, I am happy with the performance but would have liked better mileage for day-to-day.
    So yeah, I was considering a tuner with a 87 daily driver tune and a 91/93 towing tune.
    I am plenty happy with the power, but have always wondered if I am leaving some mileage on the table. I tend to put mid-grade in the truck and 93 in the Focus ST and would commit to doing so if I could gain something through a tune. But, @JRB explained (in response to me mentioning that my Focus went through plugs pretty fast) that the way they adjust to having 93 is that they assume they do and if they don't they roll back a little bit (at least that is how I understood it), eventually using up the spark plugs in fewer miles than a N/A engine would.

I would commit to 93, even in the truck, if I could gain a little mileage to offset a little cost, even if that is just mental. In the car I would do it for sure, since I am already running 93, but I am not willing to do anything that costs me range. I can make a sales call in Chicago in the morning and drive home without a fuel stop and I do not want to tamper with that. I also have already racked up 112k miles on the car, and it is more important to me that it lives a long time rather than power understeers a little more, since FWD is FWD after all.

Maybe @JRB will weigh in here, since I threw up the Batsignal a couple times...

DeeZee tailgate assist installed, highly recommended. Made In USA Husky floor mats added, great investment I’ve got rubber mats installed on the tailgate and the bed for me dawg so she doesn’t slip whilst riding in the back. Also, my hard, folding bed cover is en route.
    #RESIST

Also, my hard, folding bed cover is en route.
    How long is your bed, and which one did you buy?
    I have an eight footer, and a Bakflip, and am happy but it seems like it is kinda heavy, but it is an eight footer (and eight foot options are limited).

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    How long is your bed, and which one did you buy?
    I have an eight footer, and a Bakflip, and am happy but it seems like it is kinda heavy, but it is an eight footer (and eight foot options are limited).
    67” and this cheap one. I read the reviews thoroughly, I think it will be fine for my needs.
    #RESIST

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I’ve got rubber mats installed on the tailgate and the bed for me dawg so she doesn’t slip whilst riding in the back. Also, my hard, folding bed cover is en route.
    No spray in bed liner? I like my Line-x quite a bit. I've only managed to damage it once. I was sharpening a chainsaw on my tailgate and accidentally gouged the liner. It didn't damage the metal underneath but made a flap of material. They fixed it at no cost under their warranty and didn't even point and laugh at me.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    DeeZee tailgate assist installed, highly recommended. Made In USA Husky floor mats added, great investment I’ve got rubber mats installed on the tailgate and the bed for me dawg so she doesn’t slip whilst riding in the back. Also, my hard, folding bed cover is en route.
    Thanks for reminding me that I needed one of the tailgate dampers for my Ranger.

I was a bit skeptical of the little baby Ecoboost, but it has been awesome. Plenty of power for a little truck, and I get up to 23 mpg on the highway since adding a bed cover.

Site Supporter
    67” and this cheap one. I read the reviews thoroughly, I think it will be fine for my needs.
    Why the tri-fold vice a roll-up?

User Tag List