Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: F150 Ecoboost owners, check in

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    If you wait for 2022, looks like there will be another engine option:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/37374/...ng-f150-report

6.8L pushrod motor.

Also, apparently, going to be a Mustang option. That'll be...quick.
    You've given me the wantsies.

2018 F-150 Supercab Lariat. 3.5L Ecoboost. 10 speed. Bought it new, in service 11/17.

Currently right around 65k miles. Honest 17mpg on the low end, 19 on the high end. The onboard computer lies and says it is 1mpg higher every time I check it.

Only issue so far has been "rattle on cold start". Timing belt tensioner went bad, this is apparently a common/known issue with these motors. During COVID, took like 9 weeks from diagnosis to fix at the dealer.

Warranty covered it and they gave me a loaner brand new F-150 for the three weeks it was in the shop. That one had the 2.7L Ecoboost, so it was good to compare. I like the grunt of the 3.5, and on paper, the gas mileage for the 2.7 isn't any better. I would recommend the 3.5.

I give it high marks, excellent balance of mileage and oomph.

Site Supporter
    If you wait for 2022, looks like there will be another engine option:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/37374/...ng-f150-report

6.8L pushrod motor.

Also, apparently, going to be a Mustang option. That'll be...quick.
    If that 6.8L does anything like the 7.3 has so far, it'll easily make some pretty silly amounts of power with barely a kiss of boost. The challenge will be making the PCM and 10spd auto trans happy.
    If they offer the 6.8L V8 in a Mustang with a 6-spd manual, Brembos, and without an excessive amount of too-cushy overcomplicated farkles in the packages required to get those things.... that might just push me into a Ford dealership.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    If they offer the 6.8L V8 in a Mustang with a 6-spd manual, Brembos, and without an excessive amount of too-cushy overcomplicated farkles in the packages required to get those things.... that might just push me into a Ford dealership.
    I wonder how it will compare to the 6.2L Camaro and 6.4L Challenger, performance wise. I *think* the Mustang is lighter then the Camaro and it's definitely lighter then the Challenger.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    I wonder how it will compare to the 6.2L Camaro and 6.4L Challenger, performance wise. I *think* the Mustang is lighter then the Camaro and it's definitely lighter then the Challenger.
    In my humble opinion the S550 Mustang is a better chassis than the Camaro or Challenger. But the big potential really with the 6.8L isn't straight up HP because the Coyote 5.0L does that amazingly well if one's willing to build an engine. Like most of the 6.2L Camaros and 6.4L Challengers it needs an expensive bottom end build to allow it to hold 1000+whp

Considering the 7.3L Godzilla DNA, I'm hoping the 6.8L Ford brings out inherits the 7.3L's awesome bottom end strength so 1000whp is a matter of a power adder, fuel system/tuning, and a clutch instead of an 'all in' sort of build to get to that level.
    Even if not, 6.8L's worth of V8 can spool modern turbos insanely fast

Site Supporter
    Makes me happy to see Mustang (or Ford in general) bucking their tradition of putting smaller engines in their vehicles than their competitors. They have done that since the 60s. Chevy just put the 5.7s in everything!

Expanding on my thought: 289,302, then finally 351, then back down to 302, then 4.6, 5.4, now back to 5.0 vs.....350/5.7. On the BB side: 428,429 vs (ignored the 396 and 427, not as common as the) 454. Just a trend I’ve noticed since being a musclecar guy for the last 30 years.
    Last edited by TOTS; 12-14-2020 at 08:17 AM.

Wait.....I thought electric was the future.....(snarky sarcastic remark)

this thread s timely. I'm particularly interested in experiences from folks with the EcoBoost from the 2019/2020 Raptor and Limited...
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Yes, very timely. I am looking at buying 2017+ F150 and good chance it will have ecoboost. My best friend has a 2018 F150 3.5EB and he has some of the dreaded "cam phaser" issues and his is low miles. Debating how long to keep current 2015 Ram 1500 Hemi now that it is over 100000 miles.

Site Supporter
    According to Ford dealers/mechanics I talked to before I bought my first 2015 2.7, the 2.7L is the best gas engine Ford makes. So far on my sample of two, it seems true. It is not simply a smaller 3.5, it has a completely different block design.

User Tag List