Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: F150 Ecoboost owners, check in

A technician I respect a lot who does a lot of motor enhancing shall we say at a Ford dealer Said he would probably run an EcoBoost in a truck.

If you're towing it's low RPM turbo boost makes a huge difference but the 3.73 gears make it too snappy in many people's opinion off the line so unless you need Max tow get 355 gears. 5.0 get 3.73.

How you drive it as way more to do with the mileage than the motor..... around town in Cody Wyoming is much different than around town in Los Angeles. How you take off from stops and how much you idle can make a huge difference. No full size vehicle gets good mileage around town. Also the boost is addicting and it's easy to put your foot in it a lot. A Chev 5.3 would likely get better mileage.

I would get the 3.5 for resale unless it's just a driver the 2.7 should do a bit better on mpg's

I would be cautious buying used as turbochargers need maintenance and if oil hasn't been changed etc who knows how long it will last. Just like people who buy used diesels the tight tolerance motor and expensive turbos need their oil changed frequently and if they don't they wear and they're expensive.

Irregardless of tow ratings a half ton is only good for about 8,000 lb other than on-level ground. The trailer will push it all over the place due to the soft suspension and lack of brakes.

if you have heard of the class action lawsuit against the EcoBoost motors it is only for the smaller ones not the two seven and the three five.

in my recently purchased Transit work vehicle I chose the naturally aspirated 6-cylinder.... the 3-5 is an option.

my next work van will probably be all-wheel drive and I will probably get the EcoBoost.

Maintenance discipline ......and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    Owned a 2016 F150 2.7 Eco, best truck I had, traded for F250 6.2L. The 2.7 had more ass than my 6.2L - but raw towing goes to the Super Duty!
    Any EcoBoost would not stand up to the duty cycle that a 6-2 can. The 3.5 and 2.7 would likely outpull the 62 but would not have near the braking or control while towing.

I’m issued a 2020 ecoboost F150 responder truck. I’ve had it since July and I’m pretty happy with it.

Site Supporter
    I had a 2.7 2015 and liked it a lot. Sold it and replaced with an identical 2019 with 2.7. I am issued a take home F150 with the 3.5. I like them both, but the 3.5 definitely has more ass. I’m not disappointed with my personal 2.7 though. They tow very well, but they do drink the gas when towing.

2014 Ford F150 3.5 Eco. Good mileage for up to 50000 miles, 19.5 - 21 mph all round driving. Now at +80000 miles, 15 mph same driving. Changed plugs. Checked turbos. All "in spec" Not as happy as I used to be.

Note: when towing - mileage takes a big hit. 8.5 to 10 mph with covered trailer hauling two Harleys and gear or hunting gear.

Friend's 2012 5.0 F150 consistently out performs my truck.

FWIW

Site Supporter
    Since gears were mentioned it reminds me- make sure you check them on the spec sheet before buying. When I got my 2019, all the 3.5 trucks they could find all had 3.31 gears (which are way too tall IMO). So I stuck with the 2.7 with 3.55 gears. I’ve since put 34” tires on it, and will probably re-gear to 3.73 in the future.

A friend of mine has a 2014 with 5.0 V8 and we went on a cross country hunting trip towing a trailer. It got about the same MPG as my 2.7 gets when towing on flat ground. But the 2.7 gets about 4-5 MPG better when not towing. The 5.0 struggled the whole way, had had a really hard time in the mountains of CO. A turbo engine (or supercharged) will perform much better at higher altitude if that matters to you.

My Dad has a 2014 F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost. 11X,XXX miles on it with no trouble.

I have a 2016 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with 3.55. 44,XXX miles on it. It is a beast of a motor. I have hauled our JD 5425 with it and the thing broke the rear wheels loose going up a hill. No problems with it to date.

One con to it is with the lighter weight aluminum body it is not as “planted” towing heavy loads as my previous F-150s. However when it is unloaded it will absolutely fly.

Best truck I have owned.

2.7, love it. Towed 7k easily, can fit 3 car seats in back if need be.

2013 gen 1 3.5 owner here in the 6.5 foot bed supercrew XLT config. I was wooed by the noticeable power difference in the test drive compared to the V8. I do enjoy the turbo get up and go driving up the mountain passes to ski in the winter.

What I dislike. All gen 1 ecoboosts including some gen 2s have a particular flaw with cam phasers where there is gradual wear causing a terrible clacking noise on cold startup. Eventually it gets to the point where timing chain stretch occurs, the truck goes out of timing and a timing code appears and performance takes a dump. It's an extensive repair to fix and expensive.

I have had the clack randomly in the warmer months when the oil drains to the bottom of the engine away from the phasers, most commonly when the truck sits for a few days without use. I prevent it on cold starts by holding the gas peddle to the floor and let the engine crank to build oil pressure before letting it fire up. Eventually this trick will stop working and I will have to deal with the inevitable. There is a TSB about it for both generations.

While I still like my truck, I wish I would have gone for the simplicity and reliability of the proven V8. Turbos are neat but require more care and feeding.
    Last edited by EMC; 12-12-2020 at 10:32 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    If you wait for 2022, looks like there will be another engine option:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/37374/...ng-f150-report

6.8L pushrod motor.

Also, apparently, going to be a Mustang option. That'll be...quick.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List