Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: F150 Ecoboost owners, check in

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    And I'm certainly willing to concede that the 3.5 is the way to go.

I tend to buy something, use it until it really should have been replaced a few years previous, and do a deep dive into the latest technology. I've been putting off replacing our truck for three or four years because I hate buying vehicles.

While I was paying attention to other things, the technology has changed. My benchmark was the 5.4L V8, and I'm a little at sea trying to figure out where the new benchmark should be. I don't want to overbuy on a new truck, but I don't want to wish I'd bought a little more either.

What kind of mileage are you seeing out of the 3.5L?
    I got 21MPG with a little bit of cargo and a lead foot at 80MPH or so for 1740 miles, but that's with a performance tune that has a slight bit more boost.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'd go at least 2017 and get the 2nd Gen Ecoboost with the 10 speed tranny. Otherwise, I don't see a compelling reason to go newer than say 2018.
    That was pretty much the conclusion I was coming to.

I got 21MPG with a little bit of cargo and a lead foot at 80MPH or so for 1740 miles, but that's with a performance tune that has a slight bit more boost.
    Holy shit. I get 14 out of my SCREW, driving like a little old lady with the family and maybe 200lbs of emergency gear onboard.

That's with LT tires, but also about 50% of that is on forest service roads.

I get 9-10 towing the trailer.

I appreciate your insights.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Holy shit. I get 14 out of my SCREW, driving like a little old lady with the family and maybe 200lbs of emergency gear onboard.

That's with LT tires, but also about 50% of that is on forest service roads.

I get 9-10 towing the trailer.

I appreciate your insights.
    I was in and out of 4wd for hours in sub zero temps during that blizzard across the Midwest, a coupla weeks ago; the temps and 4wd being mileage killers. Still got 17.5. Mind you, the numbers I’m posting are out of a rig pushing 400HP and 475 lbs of torque with a nice flat torque curve for towing.
    #RESIST

So, your tune did not cost you any mileage/range?
    What octane are you running?

We are picking up our new camp trailer at the end of March, but it only weighs 3000lb
    Hijack:
    Whatcha getting?

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    So, your tune did not cost you any mileage/range?
    What octane are you running?
    I don’t know, never made a long range trip without it. 87, sometimes 89.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Hijack:
    Whatcha getting?
    Apex Nano 185bh. The kid and the GSD will each have their own bunk. RV cognoscenti will look down on us, but we feel incredibly indulgent.

After years of backpacking, we loved the pop up A Frame, except for the fact that once we turned the dinette into a bed there was no where to put anything, so we were constantly tetrising duffle bags and shit. Also, the bed clothes were six inches from the gas burner so I flat insisted it get turned into a table again before anybody used the stove.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

36 gallon tank is a must, should come standard with the tow package. I’ll never have a truck without a big tank like this again.
    #RESIST

Apex Nano 185bh. The kid and the GSD will each have their own bunk. RV cognoscenti will look down on us, but we feel incredibly indulgent.
    That will be nice.

36 gallon tank is a must, should come standard with the tow package. I’ll never have a truck without a big tank like this again.
    Yeah, "I wish we needed to stop for gas right now" said nobody ever. Maybe that one person that also says "Gee, I sure am glad my phone battery is dead"...

I am a little disappointed with the mileage in my 2014, but I was the guy that said he needed max-tow and all that, the mental remedy will be to buy something we need to tow.
    But seriously, I care about the range more than the cost. Even in my truck I can count on 500mi before I need to care. This also means that there are some pretty long trips you can manage with just one fuel stop. Many times we leave after work and get a ways down the road and stop for the night, top off in the morning and there are many places you can just get to without worry. Or you will want a fresh coffee in a few miles and top off then. You are always gonna need to pee, but it sure is nice to pee at rest areas and not have to get gas because you need it.

Even in my car I can get over 300, I can make a sales call (back when that was a thing...) in the Chicago area and usually make it home. My friends think I am nuts about it, I think they are crazy.

Site Supporter
    I have a Ram 1500 with a V6 which is good for 500+ miles unloaded, but a 36-gallon tank would be nice.

User Tag List