Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: F150 Ecoboost owners, check in

Changed the spark plugs on my 2016 3.5L last week. Noticed slight roughness at idle, decrease in fuel economy, and a little lose in power. I have read that the ecoboost motors are hard on plugs so decided to change them. Hardest part was getting the coils off. Learned (the somewhat hard way) the best place to pry is on the screw hole. Truck has 48,XXX miles on it and the original plugs did not look great once I removed them. With the new plugs the truck is back to being it its old self.

Reminded me of working on older cars a bit as I could actually get to the plugs pretty easily without removing half the engine and performing extensive yoga maneuvers.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    Changed the spark plugs on my 2016 3.5L last week. Noticed slight roughness at idle, decrease in fuel economy, and a little lose in power. I have read that the ecoboost motors are hard on plugs so decided to change them. Hardest part was getting the coils off. Learned (the somewhat hard way) the best place to pry is on the screw hole. Truck has 48,XXX miles on it and the original plugs did not look great once I removed them. With the new plugs the truck is back to being it its old self.

Reminded me of working on older cars a bit as I could actually get to the plugs pretty easily without removing half the engine and performing extensive yoga maneuvers.
    Pry on the screw hole? On my ‘18, the hardest part for me was getting the connector off of the coil, I used the jaws of a multi tool to gently pry. I was shocked at the low torque setting for the plugs (11 foot lbs). I believe the factory recommendation for plug changes is 60k miles.

I’m looking at new tires and I keep coming back to the Bridgestone K02s.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Pry on the screw hole?
    Yeah, that was not the greatest of description. I meant pry on the ear where you bolt the coil to cover after you remove the bolt in order to get the coil off the plug.

I was shocked at the low torque setting for the plugs (11 foot lbs).
    #MeToo

I am happy with the Toyo's but admittedly I only have ~500 miles on them.

Pry on the screw hole? On my ‘18, the hardest part for me was getting the connector off of the coil, I used the jaws of a multi tool to gently pry. I was shocked at the low torque setting for the plugs (11 foot lbs). I believe the factory recommendation for plug changes is 60k miles.

I’m looking at new tires and I keep coming back to the Bridgestone K02s.
    Do you maybe mean BFG K02s?

If so, I love that tire so far. Excellent on road manners. Not noisy for an all-terrain tire, and the quiet cabin of the F150 makes up for what noise there is. They don't seem to hit the gas mileage hard.

I don't do hard core 4x4 stuff, but this truck has spent plenty of time on crappy Forest Service roads, including some steep slopes with loose gravel, and they are great. The fling rocks like the dickens.

I haven't done much towing on them yet, but I think they will work out for that.

So far they have been the perfect tire for my use case.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I believe the factory recommendation for plug changes is 60k miles.
    Lol, I feel like an idiot. I bought the maintenance package and literally hardly paid any attention, I brought it in, they did their thing. The dealer must have changed my plugs at 60k. So that means the ones I showed previously were about 32k.

Its the first vehicle I have ever owned where I have not done a single oil change.

I have some Havoline Pro DS 5w-30 in slick 6qt oil boxes (like box-o-wine) and will probably do my next one to see what its like under there. Its the best deal on full synth oil, only at Walmart (or Walmart online), since we need more than 5qts for the 3.5L.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Do you maybe mean BFG K02s?

If so, I love that tire so far. Excellent on road manners. Not noisy for an all-terrain tire, and the quiet cabin of the F150 makes up for what noise there is. They don't seem to hit the gas mileage hard.

I don't do hard core 4x4 stuff, but this truck has spent plenty of time on crappy Forest Service roads, including some steep slopes with loose gravel, and they are great. The fling rocks like the dickens.

I haven't done much towing on them yet, but I think they will work out for that.

So far they have been the perfect tire for my use case.
    Yup, getting them today. Going up slightly from 275/65R18s to 275/70R18s and getting the LT raised ones for the stronger ply.
    #RESIST

Cue the mother in law jokes. Ford introducing the self weighing F150.

#RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    Lol, I feel like an idiot. I bought the maintenance package and literally hardly paid any attention, I brought it in, they did their thing. The dealer must have changed my plugs at 60k. So that means the ones I showed previously were about 32k.

Its the first vehicle I have ever owned where I have not done a single oil change.

I have some Havoline Pro DS 5w-30 in slick 6qt oil boxes (like box-o-wine) and will probably do my next one to see what its like under there. Its the best deal on full synth oil, only at Walmart (or Walmart online), since we need more than 5qts for the 3.5L.
    I just use the Walmart or Amazon synthetic with a Ford OEM filter, every 5k miles. Getting this made my oil changes much easier.
    #RESIST

I just use the Walmart or Amazon synthetic with a Ford OEM filter, every 5k miles. Getting this made my oil changes much easier.
    Whoa, that is slick. And its covered with a skid plate so no worries of smashing it off.

Surprisingly, the Havoline Pro DS is cheaper than Amazon oil. Its a 6qt container for $18-20. I assume you have to buy the 5qt jug plus a bottle or the 6 single quarts for $26. Just saying, the 6qt oil in a box is slick deal for these Ecoboosts that need 5.9 quarts.

The Walmart Supertech oil is about the same cost.

Its never in-stock though so you need to get a reminder thing.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chevron-H...-6qt/537902742

Back to my previous post, I don't feel like an idiot anymore! Yes folks, my manual says the 2013 3.5L Ecoboost gets new plugs at 100,000 miles. I called the folks who serviced my truck and they confirmed those plugs were the factory plugs.

So here I am around 93k miles with new plugs, gapped at 0.030 and guess what: My normal driving around mpg is right at 20.0mpg <--- yes I am limping around at 50mph on our country roads. UNBELIEVEABLE. For almost 10 years I have been getting 16,17, sometimes 18 on a tank around town. My best ever was 18.8mpg. My current lifetime is 16.1mpg tracked on Fuelly. Every fuel up since new has been hand tracked.

Its upsetting to know how much money I have wasted on gas when all I needed was spark plugs gapped correctly from the blankety blank factory!!!

Anywho... I am gearing up for the front diff, rear diff, and transfer case fluids change. I bought Amsoil fluids + Valvoline Transfer case oil. Gonna let Ford do the ATF for the trans (manual says 150k miles, but gonna do it early with the coolant swap). I figure if I do this all around 100k miles, I will be solid for another 100k miles.

This seems like something that could get someone in "trouble" if your truck philosophy is, "if it fits in the bed/hooks to the bumper, I can haul it/tow it."
    Cue the mother in law jokes. Ford introducing the self weighing F150.

User Tag List