Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: F150 Ecoboost owners, check in

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Wondering how much to level if I don’t want any squat with a load on the back. That’s the only thing holding me back.
    That is why I had mine set at 1.75" one notch from the top.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Depends on the load, second or third down.
    And it might also depend on the suspension payload package. When I bought mine I was going from a 3/4 ton Suburban to the 1/2 ton F-150 and made a point of getting the max towing package and I think that also implies the max payload package as well. For reference here is my truck last weekend with a pallet of mulch in it, probably about 1,800 pounds, probably pretty much at max capacity:

ETA: when I put something like the 600 pound ATV back there you cannot even see a difference.
    ETA Again: with the 2015+ it may be different, but on my 2014 if a truck has the big mirrors it probably has max payload. When I was buying it there was plenty of room for confusion, I kept going through build and price, and couldn't find the big mirrors. But when you went back and specified 3.73 then boom, there are the big mirrors and integrated trailer brake controller.

Name:  Mulch.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  95.2 KB
    Last edited by mmc45414; 04-20-2021 at 02:37 PM.

Site Supporter
    At least on the ‘18s, the Max Tow and HD Payload packages are two separate packages and one doesn’t imply the other. In fact I didn’t think (not sure though) that you could get the payload with the tow. Could be wrong. The HDPP starts with a different frame, wheels, springs, shocks. The rear axle housing is the same on HDPP and MaxTow. The springs have a higher load rating, but a lower spring rate to make the ride softer.
    Last edited by TOTS; 04-20-2021 at 04:21 PM.

I haven’t gotten to play with the Backup Assist yet.

#RESIST

So my buddy recently got a new 3.5 f150 after a 4 month covid supply chain delay, but sadly it has already left him on the side of the road. Apparently the factory installed a pre-formed coolant hose backwards. This orientation caused it to rub on the driveshaft, letting go with 621 on the odometer on a rural 2-lane highway with spotty cell reception.

Ford roadside promptly towed the truck to the closest dealer (where it awaits a new hose - covid supply chain delays), but the local towing company left him & his girlfriend on the side of the road to procure their own transportation due to their covid policy. The dealership's service advisor offered to personally pick them up, but he had already found a ride by then.
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 04-22-2021 at 04:05 PM.

Site Supporter
    Considering downgrading my drw 350 back to another ecoboost 150, the problem is, on the '21 models you either get the XL package or you get all the new "assist" features. Any experience here with the new ford co-pilot system? How much of a PITA is it? I already hate auto start-stop, doubtful I will care for auto emergency braking and evasive steering!

Quote Originally Posted by NGP View Post
    Considering downgrading my drw 350 back to another ecoboost 150, the problem is, on the '21 models you either get the XL package or you get all the new "assist" features. Any experience here with the new ford co-pilot system? How much of a PITA is it? I already hate auto start-stop, doubtful I will care for auto emergency braking and evasive steering!
    Just a FWIW - I have a 2018, and got a rock in the windshield. The glass repair places wanted to know if I had one or another of the various high-tech bits (I didn't). But apparently some of the sensors are part of the windshield, which drives the replacement cost pretty high. I didn't pay a lot of attention since I didn't have any of that, but 'what does a replacement windshield cost' might be a good question to ask.

I think I'd also want to know if repairing the high tech bits is mandatory, i.e. if lane assist breaks in 10 years, can I just do without if it is an expensive repair.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    These Bilstein B8 B5100 rear shock absorbers are a significant improvement over the stock ones and weren’t that hard to install.

Attachment 70388

Attachment 70389
    Is there a rule of thumb on suspension replacement? Since I am close to 100k miles, with maybe 3000 towing, I was thinking about R&R the springs/dampers.

I was on the road in VA on this past Thursday, wind gusts over 20 knots, and the rig was surprisingly stable. So all seems well towing. I am conservative at 55-60mph, especially since noticing 1 trailer tire was damaged and swapped the day prior. 9.7 mpg loaded. Got 10.7 empty last weekend getting the travel trailer to/from the dealer about 150 miles total.

The idea of working on truck suspension scares me though.

Quote Originally Posted by NGP View Post
    There's an ~$80 modification to make the auto start-stop remember whether you last left it on or off.

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    Is there a rule of thumb on suspension replacement? Since I am close to 100k miles, with maybe 3000 towing, I was thinking about R&R the springs/dampers.

I was on the road in VA on this past Thursday, wind gusts over 20 knots, and the rig was surprisingly stable. So all seems well towing. I am conservative at 55-60mph, especially since noticing 1 trailer tire was damaged and swapped the day prior. 9.7 mpg loaded. Got 10.7 empty last weekend getting the travel trailer to/from the dealer about 150 miles total.

The idea of working on truck suspension scares me though.

Rear shocks are a fairly easy DIY proposition. Struts used to run the risk of impaling yourself, or shooting the strut through the roof of your garage, although I guess that's no longer the case.

I CAN wrench on vehicles more than I do, but mostly I just take it some where reputable, drop it off, and pay freight when they are done. I've had more than one auto project that was supposed to be a "two hour job" turn into days of fussing and multiple trips to the auto shop. I'm fortunate enough these days just to pay somebody to do it.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Rear shocks are a fairly easy DIY proposition. Struts used to run the risk of impaling yourself, or shooting the strut through the roof of your garage, although I guess that's no longer the case.

I CAN wrench on vehicles more than I do, but mostly I just take it some where reputable, drop it off, and pay freight when they are done. I've had more than one auto project that was supposed to be a "two hour job" turn into days of fussing and multiple trips to the auto shop. I'm fortunate enough these days just to pay somebody to do it.
    Yeah, its my daily so I would have to be done by Sunday night! I am 30 minutes from Autozone so those jobs that go sideways and need a trip or 2 back for parts take up a whole day.

I suppose the new plugs did work. I decided to take the freeways home as opposed to the back roads of VA. So this tank has 244 miles of freeway towing the travel trailer, mostly no a/c, at 60mph, and filled up with Shell 93. Best towing mileage by a long shot.

Very curious if I am finally going to beat my best tank mileage of 18.8mpg in October 2019.

User Tag List