Thread: A Self-driving car horror story

Site Supporter

A Self-driving car horror story

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...main_p001_f001

Scary points:

1. Encourages drunks to drink too much as the car will drive you home.
    2. They can't negotiate quite a few situations as mentioned in the article and insist on going the wrong place
    3. They keep running the wheels after you crash
    4. Not really a self-driving issue but the batteries on fire incinerate you in a crash you might have survived. Note - does that suggest an incendiary use of such cars for terrorists?

Can't wait for AI guns that when drawn decide when and whom to shoot. Coming to your holster soon! Wait till the lithium battery decides to incinerate your junk in your AIWB when it randomly ignites - note to Ken H.

Yep, Geezer yells at progress. Had a friend's kid killed by a wrong way drunk, so #1 bothers me a bit. Might have the car test to see if the driver is drunk and refuse to go!
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Except this isn't a story about self-driving cars, not in any meaningful sense. Tesla's "Full Self-Driving Capability" is far from actual, well, full self-driving, and is only a level 2 system, which is to say, it's a fancy advanced driver-assistance system (ADAS), but not actually autonomous. While Tesla's FSD is intended to work toward a level 5 system, it is not meaningfully meant to be an actual "self-driving car".

There was even a class action lawsuit against Tesla for calling this capability "Full Self-Driving", when it clearly was not, though the lawsuit was dismissed due to the contract to sign up for FSD stipulated that you had to go through arbitration if you had any issues.

Site Supporter
    When you are drunk, you miss that nuance, I suppose. Even if you have the knowledge as this gun probably did.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...main_p001_f001

Scary points:

1. Encourages drunks to drink too much as the car will drive you home.
    2. They can't negotiate quite a few situations as mentioned in the article and insist on going the wrong place
    3. They keep running the wheels after you crash
    4. Not really a self-driving issue but the batteries on fire incinerate you in a crash you might have survived. Note - does that suggest an incendiary use of such cars for terrorists?

Can't wait for AI guns that when drawn decide when and whom to shoot. Coming to your holster soon! Wait till the lithium battery decides to incinerate your junk in your AIWB when it randomly ignites - note to Ken H.

Yep, Geezer yells at progress. Had a friend's kid killed by a wrong way drunk, so #1 bothers me a bit. Might have the car test to see if the driver is drunk and refuse to go!
    Joking aside, they are many anti's are Jonesing for the smart gun mandate. Brought to you by the same party that wants kill switches installed in all new cars. Then, when you oppose them politically, they can shut off your car... and later your guns.

The old story about the geezer who put his RV on cruise control to hit the toilet comes to mind here.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Remember that as soon as 2026 new vehicles sold in the USA are required to have the equivalent of "breathalyzers". As such, the issues are moot. ICE vehicles catch fire at higher rates than EV, but EV fires are harder to extinguish.

https://www.automotivedive.com/news/...-NHTSA/702635/

Look at the "Impaired Driving" section at https://www.nhtsa.gov/bipartisan-infrastructure-law

User Tag List