Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: F150 Ecoboost owners, check in

Pulled a stump. Yes, that’s a target in the background

Name:  7E96D216-41A7-4463-A82F-49B32971702B.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  75.1 KB
    #RESIST

With all the work I have been doing under this truck, I have been looking at the rear diff, transfer case, and front end urryday, to make sure nothing was leaking. Yesterday I noticed leaking fluid from the engine area, passenger side. Was red/pink, pretty thin, and coming from somewhere I was NOT working on!

I have the transmission cooler and my guess its ATF coming from the lines up to the small radiator up front. Dangit.

So I saved all this money by swapping out fluids and now probably going to pay Ford to find and fix this leak. I suppose the bright side is that leak just started, as best I can tell, and I caught it before all my ATF was puked out and I nuked my trans.

Its coolant leaking from near the passenger side turbo, so the fluid was orange and not pink. Turbo has to come out and it could be as bad as $1100 when all is said and done, based on a bunch of seals and the replacing plumbing. Fahk!

He said its not leaking much, so we can wait and see if it gets worse or not. Big picture, I can easily top off coolant but geez this is an expensive coolant leak to fix. I have a few indy shops nearby and I can call and get an estimate, but have not dealt with them at all.

I'm gonna drive it and monitor my coolant reservoir. If it starts getting silly then I will cough up the cash. My next camping trip is in 2 months and you know its gonna let loose while towing someplace in the mountains!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by tanner View Post
    As if my visits to this forum didn't cost me enough already.

There goes another c-note...

The original drain plug is horrible. I think I didn't spray my driveway with oil maybe once out of 6 or so tries.
    Don’t need to buy the new Star Wars drain plugs. They are starting to replace the yellow plastic ones at the dealership with the old school metal plugs. That’s what I have on my 18.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Don’t need to buy the new Star Wars drain plugs. They are starting to replace the yellow plastic ones at the dealership with the old school metal plugs. That’s what I have on my 18.
    Too late!

The worst part wasn't getting the plug out, it was the 3 foot stream of boiling hot oil jetting out of the oil pan and splashing all over the place. The new one should slow it to a manageable flow.

Most off-road tires are kinda quiet when new , but they all howl as you put the miles on them.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by tanner View Post
    Too late!

The worst part wasn't getting the plug out, it was the 3 foot stream of boiling hot oil jetting out of the oil pan and splashing all over the place. The new one should slow it to a manageable flow.
    For the older trucks like mine, these work (fumoto):
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/38351676984...oAAOSwlSda7QEM

And you can attach a hose to drain into your pan. Voila! Gonna get one for my next oil change.

Anyone get pleasure out of smoking people with a Ford pickup from stoplights?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Anyone get pleasure out of smoking people with a Ford pickup from stoplights?
    The other day I passed a guy in a Porsche who was being a dick to other drivers.

I was pulling trailer at the time.

That was fun.

I'll post a more comprehensive account later, to add to the competency-forum.com EcoBoost knowledge base, but my conclusion from towing a 2500lb trailer 130 miles south, and then a 3600lb trailer north, is that the trailer weight doesn't seem to slow the truck down all that much. It just drinks a bunch more gas if you want to push your eyeball in while accelerating.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    The other day I passed a guy in a Porsche who was being a dick to other drivers.

I was pulling trailer at the time.

That was fun.

I'll post a more comprehensive account later, to add to the competency-forum.com EcoBoost knowledge base, but my conclusion from towing a 2500lb trailer 130 miles south, and then a 3600lb trailer north, is that the trailer weight doesn't seem to slow the truck down all that much. It just drinks a bunch more gas if you want to push your eyeball in while accelerating.
    Those turbos are a game changer, especially at altitude.
    #RESIST

User Tag List