Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: reinforcing front entry way

reinforcing front entry way

Our house is beautiful but whoever installed our front door wasn't thinking about slowing down a criminal. We are currently looking at front security doors as one added layer of protection but I am also looking at ways to reinforce our front door without breaking the bank. I have seen some different "door kits" that reinforce your front door and was wondering if anyone has recommendations for things that I can get without spending thousands of dollars on a new door which is not in the budget right now.

The quickest thing you can do is overlength screws in the hinges and strike plate. That will buy you time to research.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    A couple of rubber door wedges jammed in place at night will go a long way to slowing the opening of that door until something more permanent in the framing/hardware etc can be installed.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Told you all that new hunting equipment is expensive!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    A couple of rubber door wedges jammed in place at night will go a long way to slowing the opening of that door until something more permanent in the framing/hardware etc can be installed.
    any recommendations on those? I have used some at work and they were hot grabage. I have a contractor on deck just waiting for me to chose certain things. I purchased one of these already and am going to have him install https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gatehouse-S...-Plate/3407896

also having him install a security door in front of our "pretty" front door. I will ask him to use screws long enough to hit the stud and also replace the screws in the front doors hinges to reinforce. I really am just looking to buy myself enough time If I am home to grab my AR that is near my bed and position between the door and my kids. I have dog overwatch as well

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Told you all that new hunting equipment is expensive!
    this is taking priority over hunting for now

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    The quickest thing you can do is overlength screws in the hinges and strike plate. That will buy you time to research.
    got a link via lowes? Basically the only hardware store in my area

Site Supporter
    No real rec here. I would go to store and buy the ones that felt best/solid/sticky etc.

Alternatively, I would order a variety from amazon and returns the ones that are unsuitable.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    got a link via lowes? Basically the only hardware store in my area
    For the screws, I’d pull one from each place to determine diameter and then figure out how long they can be. I usually get 3 1/2” or 4” ones or even longer but sometimes you can’t go too long because you’ll break into something. The jamb side ones need to be long enough to go through the doorframe into the studs. Soap them up and go to town, just be sure you’re going square because they are long enough that an angle can go somewhere bad.

Lowe’s has products like these, too - here are two at random:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Prime-Line/5014398763
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Barton-Kram...forcer/3646216

Edit: I saw your update that you have a contractor looking at this, too. They should know the best ways. The goal here is to make it harder to boot.

Another easy to install product are hinge pins - I’ll see if I can find links.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Another easy to install product are hinge pins - I’ll see if I can find links.
    Something like these: https://www.amazon.com/Door-Hinge-Se.../dp/B01DG0TZ1A
    Ken

User Tag List