Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: F150 Ecoboost owners, check in

I gave serious consideration to the tuner route, but I have the platinum package extended warranty or whatever they call it, and don't want to void that.

Site Supporter
    Name:  85F6B65D-92C2-48F9-9AF6-6C52C8751DB1.jpeg
Views: 264
Size:  69.1 KB

Just picked this up; 2018 XLT SCrew 4x4; 3.5 EB. Modding is starting soon. Katzkin leather seats and those Husky floor mats are already ordered. Going with tune and intercooler after that. Looking into a 2 in leveling kit as well. Really wanted a 250, so maybe go with some LED head/tail lights.

Right now, any suggestions on tint film to make the front windows match the rears? Or vinyl to black out the huge chrome ‘bars’ on the grill?

Without reading back through the whole thread...

Anyone running the powerboost engine? I believe that’s what Ford is calling the hybrid, ecoboost plus 47 ho electric motor. Boosts performance AND mpg (which I only care about because it also increases range, although you can’t get the larger gas tank in the powerboost models).
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Name:  85F6B65D-92C2-48F9-9AF6-6C52C8751DB1.jpeg
Views: 264
Size:  69.1 KB

Just picked this up; 2018 XLT SCrew 4x4; 3.5 EB. Modding is starting soon. Katzkin leather seats and those Husky floor mats are already ordered. Going with tune and intercooler after that. Looking into a 2 in leveling kit as well. Really wanted a 250, so maybe go with some LED head/tail lights.

Right now, any suggestions on tint film to make the front windows match the rears? Or vinyl to black out the huge chrome ‘bars’ on the grill?
    I just put 3600 miles on my 2018 3.5 Ecoboost driving across country in the middle of that snowstorm (flawless). I strongly recommend getting an oil catch can. I’ve this one. I empty some interesting crap out of this catch can every few hundred miles, I’ll do it again tomorrow and take pics.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Added to my cart. What F150 forums are everyone in for PF quality info?

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Added to my cart. What F150 forums are everyone in for PF quality info?
    I like https://www.f150forum.com/. The catch can really works, I’ll get a pic.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I just put 3600 miles on my 2018 3.5 Ecoboost driving across country in the middle of that snowstorm (flawless). I strongly recommend getting an oil catch can. I’ve this one. I empty some interesting crap out of this catch can every few hundred miles, I’ll do it again tomorrow and take pics.
    I ran one in my previous car and it pulled a lot of oily liquid out. I never bought one for my 13 EB, I remember at the time they were $3-400. Or maybe I was just too cheap.

Your linked setup is affordable. Maybe time to try it out.

Site Supporter
    I’ve always been a cheap sob too. My built Mustang, Z06, and S4 all had the air compressor water separator from Lowes pulling catch can duty. For some reason I feel I should step up to a real product for the F150 though 🤔. Probably because I’m sure those turbskis are $$$$ to replace.

My understanding of the catch can issue is that the gunk sucked through the PCV valve became a problem when they went to direct injection, because the gunk hit the intake valve and some of it stuck and eventually built up enough to be a problem. Prior to direct injection, the gas/air mixture washing over the valve kept the valve clean.

And the fix was to add a (small??) injector(s) upstream, in addition to the direct injection, that adds enough gas to keep the valve clean. Ford has been rolling out the updated injection scheme at different times based on displacement and model, i.e. vans might not get it the same year trucks do or whatever. But I think the 2018 F150 with the 2.7 and 3.5 both have the new motor, and so shouldn't need a catch can.

Some info (see the section on the different versions):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EcoBoost_engine

YMMV, etc, etc, if you look under your hood and don't have any upstream injectors, then - gasp! - wikipedia is wrong, etc, etc.

Site Supporter
    I’ve been reading similar information re the second injector preventing intake valve coking but ANY vehicle with a PCV system that recirculates oil into the intake will benefit from a separator. I have an LS6 manifold around here somewhere with the inside literally dripping with mobil 1! I think it’s just more detrimental to DI motors. And turbo motors as an intercooler filled with oil won’t cool very well.

User Tag List